Dish to begin DRM on PPV May 6th

My TV only has 1 DVI input, so a couple years ago, I bought a switchbox to share that 1 input. I bought an HDMI->DVI cable a few months back and it works fine with my 622 through the switchbox. However, will it work for the HDCP handshake, or do I have to buy a new HDTV too?

Hard to say.

There was a DVI switchbox called DVI Magic (I think it was made by a company called Spatz-Tech) that apparently took care of the HDCP handshake -- I inquired about it awhile back when I still had the 34"XBR, which was NOT HDCP compliant). I looked for it online, but it was going for several hundred dollars on eBay (its not available for retail sale in the US anymore -- not surprised since it overcomes HDCP issues; it was referred to as an HDCP Stripper. :D

One of the reasons I was able to convince my wife to let me sell the 34" CRT was because I kept telling her that it wasn't going to work within the year due to the stupid HDCP restrictions. ;)

Wait... can you play a HD DVD or even just a plain old DVD player through a HDMI to DVI connector? With my old XBR, I could not use HDMI from my HD DVD player because of the HDCP issue. IF YOU CAN, you might be ok.

Wait... can you play a HD DVD or even just a plain old DVD player through a HDMI to DVI connector? With my old XBR, I could not use HDMI from my HD DVD player because of the HDCP issue. IF YOU CAN, you might be ok.

I don't yet have a hi-def DVD player. I was one of those that sat on the sidelines waiting for the format war to end...

Oh well...I guess I will be going back to buying DVDs rather than the PPVing the ones I am only kinda sorta interested in.

What this comes down to for me is value... Dish just jacked the price up, and now makes the product MUCH less desirable and useful. Given the restrictions placed on it, I would think that Dish would now have to drop the price considerably.... Given that you can rent a DVD from Blockbuster for $4-5, and keep it for several weeks, I would think that a 1 day rental would only be worth a buck, if that. For a single dollar I might still purchase a PPV, but any more than that just isn't a good value anymore.
Sorry Charlie! :mad:

What this comes down to for me is value... Dish just jacked the price up, and now makes the product MUCH less desirable and useful. Given the restrictions placed on it, I would think that Dish would now have to drop the price considerably.... Given that you can rent a DVD from Blockbuster for $4-5, and keep it for several weeks, I would think that a 1 day rental would only be worth a buck, if that. For a single dollar I might still purchase a PPV, but any more than that just isn't a good value anymore.
Sorry Charlie! :mad:

I agree; the restricted product they have created (24 hr viewing period, movie auto disabled at the end of "license window") is worth no more than 99 cents for one 24 hour period for SD PPV, and $1.99 for HD PPV.

For $5.99 you should be getting a 7-10 day viewing period, and no "license window" BS either.

Dang. I wish I could threaten to never buy PPV again. But I can't -- I've never bought PPV at all. So the best I can do is to promise to continue to never buy PPV :)

Now if every Dish subscriber would do the same, we'd have lots of room for new HD Nationals.:rolleyes:

Talon Dancer

It is official....Charlie is dumber than a rock. Between this crap, no hd (or even widescreen) on-demand and no free on-demand, I am afraid I will have to start looking at Cable again.

Cable has had 24hr limits on PPV for years. You'll have to look elsewhere.... oh yeah, there is no where else :)

So who's going to go up to Charlie at Team Summit and say "yo dude, now that PPV is even more useless than it was before, how about reclaiming all that bandwidth?"

If D* has been doing this already, I would be interested in seeing the stats on ppv service on D*. How many people have altered their habits to live within this restriction? Cable too. Apparently, they have not stopped providing ppv.

VCRs gave us viewing freedom but rental stores forced people to bring back the newest movies the next day.

DVRs came along and gave us back our freedom. Now the studios want their old rental store days back.

I predict that one day tv and chat and IM will fall by the way side and humans will learn to live outside again and communicate face to face. I know that sounds crazy, but it could happen.

:)

Charles Ergen is responsible for this. And before anyone defends him saying it's all because of the studios, refer to what I wrote the other day in a thread about EHD storage issues but the same thing applies here.Charles Ergen, you are hereby notified that I will never again pay money for any "pay per view" event on your service again, as long as DRM is in place.
I agreed with your original post and I reiterate here - Good post Pepper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts