Dish to Direct Help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TMJ

Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
indiana
I now have 2 Hoppers and 2 joeys so i can record ten shows different shows at the same time. Can i get 2 genies and 2 minis to do the same thing. I have four tvs one 4k the csr says no problem but don't trust csr. If this can be done what models do i need

Unfortunately DirecTV has a one genie limit. So you'll be reduced to 5 recordings. Some would recommend a Genie and an HD-DVR (HR24) that would record two things on the secondary box. This solution would cost $200 extra up front, and I've not heard many getting that waived.

For 4K you will want a C61k mini-genie client. Your Genie box will not do 4k, but will support 4k on the client, so the 4k tv would need a client box. Kinda backwards, but that is how Directv does it. Since you'll have 4 TVs (one genie and 3 clients or one genie, one hd-dvr, and 2 clients), it shouldn't be a big issue for you.

SO if i go with a Genie and a HD DVR and 2 mini-genies i could record 7 different shows at the same time? Would the C61k have to be connected directly to the 4k tv? The CSR said i could have 2 Genies i thought that was strange.

The CSR is mistaking, they will not activate two genies on any single account.

If you go a genie and an HD-DVR you can record 7 things, but the clients will setup recordings only to the genie. The HD-DVR will be an island so to speak, meaning it's recordings have to be setup/managed on its receiver. I believe each box (the genie and hd-dvr) can be set to show only their playlist, or a combined playlist between the two boxes, so that is a positive at least.

The confusion in this conversation is the language that the CSR vs us use.
The CSR said you can have more than one Genie, which we know is not true ...
However, the CSR is calling the Genie CLIENT-Mini a Genie, which is where the confusion comes in.

In Order to have 4k, you need (as Jason mentioned) the C61k mini-genie client.
The clients work off the Main Genie .... (more confusion).
The main Genie is one of two different types .... The Genie (Original) is a HR34 (not used anymore for new subs), HR44 and HR54, While the HR44 is a very good unit, it doesn't handle the 4K your inquiring about, so you would want a HR54 and a 4k capable client and any variety of other client (for the 3rd TV) .

The other Genie (Genie 2) they use (not for new subs in most cases) is the HS17 (home server, which doesn't allow any of the other type of recvrs out there (HR24's which is the stand alone unit that I would suggest and Jason mentioned).

If you can, I would go with a HR54 a C61k mini-genie client and a HR24, this would give you 7 tuners available to you.

Also, so you know, the 4k client (or any client) doesn't have a tuner at all, so it uses its tuners and recording capability from the Genie you decide on.

So my head is spinning a bit. Can i do this?
Family Room: Genie HR54 5 tuners
Kitchen: C61k
Bedroom: mini
Man Cave With 4k: HR24 2 tuners can the C61k feed 4k back to this.
Can each tv pull programing from either tuner. Not trying to be a pain but i am use to Dish ( been with them for 8 yrs) any tv can pull recordings from either Hoppper

Can each tv pull programing from either tuner. Not trying to be a pain but i am use to Dish ( been with them for 8 yrs) any tv can pull recordings from either Hoppper
The genie and the hopper work on the same premise so that won't change but whatever tv that is 4k you will want the c61k to be on because that is the box that outputs 4k much like the 4k joey, you could put the hr24 ( the other dvr) on maybe your bedroom tv in this case because it will share the recordings with the other boxes just like the genie will the only difference is anything you set on the genie or clients to record will record on the genie with the 5 tuners and anything you set to record on the hr24 will use those 2 tuners

Suggest you do this way
FAMILY ROOM:HR54
Kitchen -H25 (HD receiver) Can set recording to any other DVR.
Bedroom-HR24
MAN CAVE C61K (mini) Can set recording from the HR54 and See Playlist from other DVR as well

That gives you 7 tuners (note) using the c61K for live tv will reduce your tuners by one - The HR54 List 7 Active tuners -(2) of those are for recording 4K

First i want to thank everyone that contributed to my answering questions. This forum is great!
I think i will go with Vazhog sugestion except flip flop the kitchen and bedroom.
One other question can you put a external hard drive on HR54 or the HR24.
Thanks again
Now to fight with a CSR but i will be nice

First i want to thank everyone that contributed to my answering questions. This forum is great!
I think i will go with Vazhog sugestion except flip flop the kitchen and bedroom.
One other question can you put a external hard drive on HR54 or the HR24.
Thanks again
Now to fight with a CSR but i will be nice
You can use an external hd. It will disable the internal, not add to it. You can go back to the internal, but then the external doesn't work. It has to be an eSata type and not all brands will work. I've had good luck with WD drives.

to add, you can move them between receivers either
when you put it on a diff receiver it will format

to add, you can move them between receivers either
when you put it on a diff receiver it will format
So in other words, DON'T move the EHD's from the designated recvr .... (it will reformat when you connect it to another and you'll lose everything)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)