Dish to Direct - Pros and Cons Plz Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Arcuro

Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hello all, my first post here.

I am currently Dish Network owner and have become more and more dissatisfied with their service and offerings. I think the final straw, that is leading me to make this post is the fact they no longer carry the MLB package.

I would like to know from current Direct owners (or may have been Dish owners also) what they think and feel of the service.

The one channel I have been wanting for a long time in HD has been SCI-FI. Stargate and BSG shows in HD, what could be better!! :), but Dish keep teasing us that it's coming but still nothing and BSG starts tonight...:(

I did a channel comparison and it seems Direct carries all the channels I enjoy on Dish plus more.

I have read threads on both sides comparing the Hardware and the software that runs them...each having their pros and cons. I am not big user of the PIP on Dish, so not having that is not a big deal.

Some questions I have for Direct side hardware,

1. Can you buffer two shows by switching back and forth? I was told you can not, that you would have to record each one, for example, if I am watching two sports, and I flip to the second tuner, will I be able to go back and see what I missed? I hope that makes sense...I know I can do this with Dish.

2. User interface/software - Direct vs Dish ? Pro and Cons?

3. DVR side of the house - I have read many threads on this debate...but I also get the sense that one is not really better then the other, just need to understand how to use them.

4. I have read that you can stream live Direct feed from the hardware to a computer on your network? Does this mean I can be in my office and watch a show on my computer?

If there is anything else you can provide to help me make my choice. I still have 8 months left on my Dish contract but I am willing to break that now for better channel selection....

Thanks for your help and advice in this matter,
David

I'll give it a shot, but you really need to decide what is right for you.

Some questions I have for Direct side hardware,

1. Can you buffer two shows by switching back and forth? I was told you can not, that you would have to record each one, for example, if I am watching two sports, and I flip to the second tuner, will I be able to go back and see what I missed? I hope that makes sense...I know I can do this with Dish. You will have to record both shows to get the dual live buffer effect that you are looking for.

2. User interface/software - Direct vs Dish ? Pro and Cons? I have Dish where I work and Direct at home. Personally, I could never stand the Dish network interface. Granted, the Dish network receivers are older models so we're still dealing with having to download the guide if we get more than three hours ahead in the guide.

3. DVR side of the house - I have read many threads on this debate...but I also get the sense that one is not really better then the other, just need to understand how to use them. Once you get used to them, you really won't notice the difference. Things like one touch record are very nice features, although the DirecTV remote could be designed better.

4. I have read that you can stream live Direct feed from the hardware to a computer on your network? Does this mean I can be in my office and watch a show on my computer? Since all of the outputs on the DirecTV receiver are live at all times, yes you can do this provided that your computer has a video capture card (assuming you are working out of a home office.) Otherwise, you will have to use something like Slingbox.

If there is anything else you can provide to help me make my choice. I still have 8 months left on my Dish contract but I am willing to break that now for better channel selection....Dish may add some channels "SOON" but how much, what, and exactly when is still up in the air. I do expect them to add channels before your contract is up, but I also expect DirecTV to add channels by then.

Thanks for your help and advice in this matter,
David

Hi!

I'm a VERY recent switcher from Dish -- I've been all setup for about 2 hours now. I specifically set it for today because I wanted to give Dish *every* opportunity to get me SciFi before the BSG premiere.

I'll take a crack based on what I've seen so far.

1. Can you buffer two shows by switching back and forth? I was told you can not, that you would have to record each one, for example, if I am watching two sports, and I flip to the second tuner, will I be able to go back and see what I missed? I hope that makes sense...I know I can do this with Dish.

They call this "dual live buffer" and I've also heard that D* doesn't have it. I can't comment because it's a feature I never used on TiVo or on my 722. If I want to record something, I record it, not pause it.

2. User interface/software - Direct vs Dish ? Pro and Cons?

It's different, but not in a bad way. Seems to me like it does the same stuff but a bit diffferently. Direct's interface looks "prettier" to me, but it is a little bit slower.

3. DVR side of the house - I have read many threads on this debate...but I also get the sense that one is not really better then the other, just need to understand how to use them.

I think, again, that it's just "different". I had a hard time going from TiVo to my 722, mainly because it took some time to figure out how to do things. I think it's just a shock at first, but I doubt it would be significant.

4. I have read that you can stream live Direct feed from the hardware to a computer on your network? Does this mean I can be in my office and watch a show on my computer?

Buy a Slingbox and you can do that with anything!

If there is anything else you can provide to help me make my choice. I still have 8 months left on my Dish contract but I am willing to break that now for better channel selection....

For me, it came down to content and delays. Direct had what I wanted, they have a great promo (with the AAA deal) going on, and their equipment costs were a LOT lower than last time I looked. It just made sense for me. And now, I get to see BSG in HD tonight!

I switched from Dish a year ago when they dropped MLB. I have been happy with Direct. I liked the Dish equipment and interface a little better, but have not had any problems with Direct's equipment. I like the dual feeds on MLB that is being offered this year on Direct. I miss the superstations that were on Dish, but overall prefer the lineup that Direct has. My experience with customer service has been better with Direct. I can understand the support people and have not had to deal with an Indian call center. I like all the HD that Direct is now offering. I am sure Dish will offer more, it is anyone's guess when and what channels.

Good luck in deciding what is best for you. If you want MLB, then it is worth the switch. I am enjoying the HD games and being able to watch the feed for my team, even when they are on the road.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts