Dish to release second quarter earnings report on Thursday.

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Good afternoon just to let you know that dish will release second quater earning report on tuesday then we can get see how many subscribers dish has gained or loss during the second quarter?

I say by next year at his time DISH will be down to just a little over 13 million subs . By 2019 I see them Dropping under that 13 million sub numbers. Sad. I've seen DISH Raise their numbers to up go over 14 million subs back in the last decade and now I'm seeing a slow reversal backwards. They need full Ala cart to save them . But it could just be that consumer tastes have changed and traditional pay tv model is at its end. The younger consumers don't even watch tv on a tv . My 17 year old watches on his phone sitting in front of a 50" 3D HDTV and he rarely even turns it on. Multiply that by all the others in younger generation and you can see why pay tv is continuing to lose their subscribers . Especially as the older generation continues to die out each day as time goes on.

Mike, full ala carte isn't the answer. CBS has set the bar for an individual channel's cost and at $6 per channel the cost to get what most would probably want wouldn't be much better.

Reactions: KAB and satjay
I say by next year at his time DISH will be down to just a little over 13 million subs . By 2019 I see them Dropping under that 13 million sub numbers. Sad.

They already are way under 13 million if you minus the 2 million Sling customers that Dish adds in as total subscribers, that means they are at around 11 million Sat. Customers only.

From Dish Investor Web link:

2017 Second Quarter Consolidated Results of Operations and Key Operating Metrics

Revenue of $3.644 billion

Pay-TV ARPU of $87.25

Net income attributable to DISH Network of $40 million and basic and diluted earnings per share of common stock of $0.09.

Gross new Pay-TV subscriber activations of approximately 444,000

Pay-TV SAC of $690

Loss of approximately 196,000 net Pay-TV subscribers

Pay-TV churn rate of 1.59%

Loss of approximately 46,000 net broadband subscribers

They already are way under 13 million if you minus the 2 million Sling customers that Dish adds in as total subscribers, that means they are at around 11 million Sat. Customers only.
Well, I was counting the Sling tv numbers in that 13 million I predicted. They are no longer even able to hide their sat losses with Sling tv numbers added in anymore.

But would they like to pay nearly the same for much fewer channels ala carte? And that's one of the issues. The bigger issue is the younger folk who aren't watching TV on TVs at all.
Which I stated already as well. With the future customers not subbing to traditional pay tv, and older subs dying out daily, shouldn't that open the tv provider companies to ala cart and lowering the prices on the channels to make it more attractive? Or has the point of diminishing returns for those companies not been reached yet? I predict that the future will be ala cart for the programs themselves and the channels won't matter. I have never understood why I need 250 channels to watch a few programs that I watch, and I'm 55 years old. I know younger people feel this way as well .

I doubt we'll see a la carte via satellite or cable. But we'll see more of it as networks experiment with shows over the Internet, PPV.

I doubt we'll see a la carte via satellite or cable. But we'll see more of it as networks experiment with shows over the Internet, PPV.

This is most likely right. People are going to be paying more per channel but probably paying less overall. This will be great for those who only watch a handful of channels and nothing else.

With out full ala cart like Canada has now, you can continue to see subs bleed at DISH and other pay tv companies. It is an industry wide problem now and they can continue to stick their collective heads in the sand, but the future is coming, whether they want it to or not.

With out full ala cart like Canada has now, you can continue to see subs bleed at DISH and other pay tv companies. It is an industry wide problem now and they can continue to stick their collective heads in the sand, but the future is coming, whether they want it to or not.
Just like the music industry years ago. They wanted to keep charging $15 to $17 for a CD. Finally people said enough. I only want to pay for the songs I like.

Back then everyone said it will cost so much more. It will never happen. Well it did happen. It brought the prices of whole CD's way down.TV needs to change too. They keep raising prices on content and fees so people will leave and they have.

Just like the music industry years ago. They wanted to keep charging $15 to $17 for a CD. Finally people said enough. I only want to pay for the songs I like.

Back then everyone said it will cost so much more. It will never happen. Well it did happen. It brought the prices of whole CD's way down.TV needs to change too. They keep raising prices on content and fees so people will leave and they have.

That isn't exactly true. CD's dropped in price far more because they no longer were the preferred way to get music. Exactly the same reason Blue Rays have dropped in cost.
Everyone knew it would cost less not because the CD itself would necessarily go down but because people did not want to pay for songs they did not like on the CD so it would indeed cost less overall by buying only a couple or so songs. That's the reason the music industry was against selling individual songs not because it would affect the cost of a CD but because people would be able to buy only a song off the CD. Those are two different things.
BUT that is not the same as TV A la carte at least not with pay TV. First TV has other costs involved in getting the programming to you that a CD does not have. Second A CD is like a channel, with many different CD's and many different channels. With TV you are not picking just the programs you want (Just the songs you want) you are picking the channels you want, all of programs (Songs) on that channel. That is an important difference because the favorite shows for many are spread among many channels so to get them you must buy each whole channel. (CD) With CD's you are indeed only picking the one song (program) you want.

There are some online ways to pay and stream only the programs you want and that would be closer to the what happened to music. If you want only a few programs just like songs you can buy some individually or only a few channels and as pointed out you can save money though not always as much as you thought.
The DISH Flex Pack is a good start. If I did not get the existing customer discount of $15 plus DISH moving channels down from Top 250 to Top 200 so I could drop to Top 200 (now saving $30 total a month and could be saving $40 if I dropped locals) I was going to at least try it because it had so much of what I wanted for channels, and would have saved money even with a couple of packs added and switching out packs for only the times I needed them. It still would cost less but now I feel I am getting a good deal saving alot but keeping all the channels.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)