Dish to start upgrading HD customers to MPEG4

I thought I was getting a fair deal, especially since the installer only had a 722 in his truck, so I got that rather than a 622. However, the installer took my owned 942 with him, saying he was required to (even showed me the work order) and that they wouldn't work at all after August 1st. I figured no big deal since I got a 722 rather than 622, wasn't going to be charged the lease fee on the new receiver, since I owned my 942, and the new HD programming was only $0.01 more per month than the old HD Pack. Well, I should have known there would be problems.

I callled Dish to change to the new HD programming and was told my bill was going up by over $7 per month. Guess why... a $7 per month lease fee on the new receiver. I was also told I should not have been required to turn in my owned 942 and that it will work as an SD DVR after August 1st. The CSR got approval to credit the $7 per month fee for 1 year, but not after that. He also called the Hub to request my old receiver back. He also suggested I try to conatct the installer. I called the installer and told him what I waas told by Dish. he said he would bring the receiver back to me, and hung up. It's now two days later and I have no 942.

All of the CSRs I've talked to have been nice, but mostly unknowledgable. I haven't experienced a company so poorly run in quite a while. Good luck to everyone in getting what they were promised, especially if you owned your equipment.

Call the installer and tell him to get it back to you within 7 days or you're filing a police report.

Brought me a 722. Tried to get me to sign the 2 year agreement - I refused. Left the 942 because he did not want to mess with the paperwork. Got the LNB on 61.5 replaced because the 722 was indicating drift.

Finally, after two canceled appointments.

This past winter, I purchased and installed a new 722. Was using an 811 at the time with my HD t.v. As I didn't yet install a new dish to receive 61.5, I had to keep the 811 on account to keep receiving the "old HD" package. Moved it to the bedroom where I had a 311 hooked up to a regular t.v. The 722 would have a $7.00 HD enabling fee until I got around to installing the new dish, and switch over to the "new HD" package.

Installed the new dish, switched over to new package, and left the 811 activated on the non-HD t.v. This past weekend, came home to a message from Dish stating that my 811 will no longer work soon and would be losing my HD package, and that I should call them for a free upgrade.

My question is since that I only have 1 HD t.v. and use the 722 for that, will my 811 still work for my SD t.v.?(no plans for HD in bedroom). Or will Dish somehow deactivate my 811 all together?

That happened with me, so they canceled my appointment yesterday and rescheduled for the 28th. I asked them just to bring a 722, but they said no, not without me paying for it.

We'll see what happens on the 28th if they don't have any 622's.
Okay, this is getting rediculus. I waited around from noon til 5:00pm for no technician to show.
I call, and they said it was rescheduled yesterday for Wednesday the 30th. :mad::mad::mad:

After talking to the CSR who couldn't explain why the appt. was rescheduled (and why I wasn't notified), I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor couldn't tell me either, and she put me on hold saying she'd contact the dispatch office to find out why. She came back and said no one answered :rolleyes:, and that she'd email them to call me and explain what happened.

The supervisor and CSR said there were no notes, but that it was rescheduled using their automated system, and tried to say I did it. I told them that it wasn't me and maybe they should contact the technician who was supposed to show up, at which point they "tried" to call the dispatch office.

Directv keeps looking better and better... :mad::mad::mad:

This past winter, I purchased and installed a new 722. Was using an 811 at the time with my HD t.v. As I didn't yet install a new dish to receive 61.5, I had to keep the 811 on account to keep receiving the "old HD" package. Moved it to the bedroom where I had a 311 hooked up to a regular t.v. The 722 would have a $7.00 HD enabling fee until I got around to installing the new dish, and switch over to the "new HD" package.

Installed the new dish, switched over to new package, and left the 811 activated on the non-HD t.v. This past weekend, came home to a message from Dish stating that my 811 will no longer work soon and would be losing my HD package, and that I should call them for a free upgrade.

My question is since that I only have 1 HD t.v. and use the 722 for that, will my 811 still work for my SD t.v.?(no plans for HD in bedroom). Or will Dish somehow deactivate my 811 all together?

Almost 12 hours and no response to this so I am going to give just an educated guess. Your 811 will just loose any HD channels it currently gets like HDNet and TNT.

Has anyone with an "owned" MPEG2 reciever gotten a "fair" upgrade offer from Dish. We have an owned 942 and Dish has started to contact us with the standard upgrade offer, but the best they will do is a "leased" reciever in exchange. Frankly, Dish should make good with all thier MPEG2 owners and replace those units (even if the replacements are refurbs) before they consider "breaking" those system and taking away the primary functionality of those recievers (IE that it's a MPEG2 HD reciever).

Called and scheduled my upgrade for a VIP211. I own an 811 and they told me that there would be no fee involved. The only catch is that it will be a lease with no monthly fee, if i discontinue service I would need to return the 211. I can keep my 811, but I can give it to them and get a $10 credit, which isn't worth it. They are scheduled to come on Saturday. We'll see what happens.

I got them (Dish) to do a receiver exchange (942 for a 622). Similar to replacing a like-for-a-like receiver when one dies. I already had two 622s so I only needed to unplug the old for the new and do the activation. I didn't want to mess with an installer coming out since the time is always in a range. I have three 622s and my trusty 508 for cartoons for the kids and sirius.

Installer finally showed up yesterday to replace my 942. They were out of 622's, so I got a 722 instead. :D

He even made me an offer for the 942, but wouldn't meet my quote for a 250 gig HDD, so I'll keep it and put the drive in my wife's PC as planned.

Dish's stupid auto system screwed with me again for the 3rd time. When the installer called to activate the receiver, the system had AGAIN pushed my install date out, to Aug. 5th this time. Luckily he never got that "memo" and showed up this time as planned. So after arguing with Dish, he finally got the new receiver activated.

Has anyone else not been contacted by E* yet? Right now I've got a single (owned) 921, a D500 pointed to 110/119, and the original HDPak paid ahead through November (annual subscription) . I haven't heard a peep from them so far (not phone, email, or snail mail). Frankly I'm in no rush, as I've still got lots of unwatched programming recorded, but E* sure seems to be. I'm just scratching my head as to why they haven't gotten in touch with me if they're planning on pulling the programming I've already paid for out from under me within the next month. Anyone have any info as to why I might not have gotten a call yet?

Thanks,
-- Dave

Last edited:
Has anyone else not been contacted by E* yet? Right now I've got a single (owned) 921, a D500 pointed to 110/119, and the original HDPak paid ahead through November (annual subscription) . I haven't heard a peep from them so far (not phone, email, or snail mail). Frankly I'm in no rush, as I've still got lots of unwatched programming recorded, but E* sure seems to be. I'm just scratching my head as to why they haven't gotten in touch with me if they're planning on pulling the programming I've already paid for out from under me within the next month. Anyone have any info as to why I might not have gotten a call yet?

Thanks,
-- Dave
I went to a service call the orther day where the customer had an 811. Same deal. Not a peep...I advised him to call dish.

I've got several cards and even phone calls trying to upgrade my 942. The phone call I got, they wanted to give a 622 and send an installer out to do it. I told them I wanted a 722 and didn't need it installed as it will be just changed out. Caller said he couldn't do that so no deal is done yet.

I've got several cards and even phone calls trying to upgrade my 942. The phone call I got, they wanted to give a 622 and send an installer out to do it. I told them I wanted a 722 and didn't need it installed as it will be just changed out. Caller said he couldn't do that so no deal is done yet.
Ok..Newsflash. There are no 622's to be had. 722's are used exclusively on the upgrades where a customer is replacing a DVR such as a 942. So no worries there.
The tech isssue confuses me. Why is it you and some others on here have such an objection to a tech coming to your home?. In some markets the job is not just a receiver swap. Depending upon your DMA , a satellite antenna replacement may be necessary.
Now if you are one of those rare customers that has the dish(es) in place, know this: whether Dish sends a tech or not the cost is the same. With that in mind. PLace the order. Have the tech come out hand you the box, let him activate the receiver. Then sign the paperwork and let him leave.

BTW if there are any techs out there who have had a 622 on their truck in the last few months other than to bring back a failed one, let us know.
We have been using 722's exclusively for 6 months now.

Ok..Newsflash. There are no 622's to be had. 722's are used exclusively on the upgrades where a customer is replacing a DVR such as a 942. So no worries there.
The tech isssue confuses me. Why is it you and some others on here have such an objection to a tech coming to your home?. In some markets the job is not just a receiver swap. Depending upon your DMA , a satellite antenna replacement may be necessary.
Now if you are one of those rare customers that has the dish(es) in place, know this: whether Dish sends a tech or not the cost is the same. With that in mind. PLace the order. Have the tech come out hand you the box, let him activate the receiver. Then sign the paperwork and let him leave.

BTW if there are any techs out there who have had a 622 on their truck in the last few months other than to bring back a failed one, let us know.

Good info, thanks dishcomm

Unless of course you have something in your Dish setup that you don't want an installer to see!

Unless of course you have something in your Dish setup that you don't want an installer to see!

Or you don't need to spend a hour explaining to some bozo about your remote equipment rack where the receiver is and how it's wired into a complete house networking system. If you are going to tell the guy to just hand me the equipment why the hell should DISH make a truck roll? Plus I don't need some unknown person in my house.

Or you don't need to spend a hour explaining to some bozo about your remote equipment rack where the receiver is and how it's wired into a complete house networking system. If you are going to tell the guy to just hand me the equipment why the hell should DISH make a truck roll? Plus I don't need some unknown person in my house.

+1

There are still 622's left just got one from DISH. They had to replace my old 622 because the cooling fan failed and was overheating.

I don't have anything to hide, I would just rather do it myself. I have a dish 500 looking at 110 & 119 plus dish 500 looking at 129 with 2 dp34 switches. I have 1 722, 2 622's and a 942 I own that they want to replace, phone line hooked to all of them. I have been a customer since Nov 1996 and never had a tech at my home and I have installed between 50 and 100 dishes for myself and family and friends.

It's no big deal though, I might let a tech come this time if I knew for sure I would get a 722. I just haven't been in any hurry to do this, anyway the 942 does a good job spelling on the CID, the 22's can't spell sh*t half the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)