Dish to start upgrading HD customers to MPEG4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Just ordered the Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR with 1080i/720p component inputs to record HD to my PC when Dish goes 100% MPEG4 and PVR Explorer no longer works.

Plug it into my 211 and away we go!

I am getting a 722 for my 942. I have other VIP receivers already.

FYI I was told by a Dish tech that I could not keep my 942 activated, because it would not even receive SD later. I wanted to keep it for SD and OTA.

Question 1, can I still access the hard drive on my 942 if it isn't activated?

Question 2, I have a EHDD connected to my 622 and have had nothing but trouble with it. I cannot view programs on the EHDD and cannot restore programs back to the 622 hard drive. I was told these problems don't exist with the 722. If I move my EHDD to the 722 will I have to reformat or does the 3 move rule still apply? I do not have the household key activated on my account yet.

Edit: Installer has 43 minutes left in his window to show up. Why couldn't they just send me the 722? I can plug and play myself.
You're lucky. My appointment to replace my 942 this afternoon was canceled, the recording said because they were out of 622's. :mad:

The rescheduled it for next week, but I'll be on vacation, and the next opening isn't until mid-late August. I'll call them today to try to get it back on this week and try for a 722.

As for what to do with the 942. I'm just going to take the HDD out and put it into my wife's PC. Can always use a 250GB HDD, it alone is worth more than the $10 credit for turning the receiver in.

updated: called them, and they tell me the 622 is out of inventory, but won't give me a 722 unless I pay for the upgrade. I refuse to pay anything, because they are the ones killing off my 942. :mad:

Last edited:
Got my 722 for 921 (no extra charge for the 722 instead of 622) this morning. Installer showed me the order that included
a 522 for my 721, not what I ordered. Installer called to activate the 722 and was
told he had to replace my 721 as they will not work in August :mad:. I got on the phone and asked if the 721 is going to quit working in August what about my 501?
The answer was that was what the computer said :mad:. Hung up, installer called back, got different rep., no problem, 522 cancelled. What a way to run a business.

I'm supposted to get a 622 to replace my 942 today. Not sure what I will do with the 942, which I own.

In the past I have still been able to access the PVR on Dish receivers even after they are deactivated. Not sure why the 942 would be any different.

4000 Model

I have an old 4000 model that I haul around in our camper. Works great and I like the UHF remote that allows me to stash it in a bay and out of the way.Dish doesn't offer a 1 Tv receiver with UHF remote as far as I can tell. How far into the future can I expect to be able to use it or have to replace it?

I'm supposted to get a 622 to replace my 942 today. Not sure what I will do with the 942, which I own.

In the past I have still been able to access the PVR on Dish receivers even after they are deactivated. Not sure why the 942 would be any different.

I am in the same position...

but they told me that they wanted/needed a CCard number because the 622 they are swapping out will be leased? (i own my 942 also)

Is this what they are telling everyone?

I am in the same position...

but they told me that they wanted/needed a CCard number because the 622 they are swapping out will be leased? (i own my 942 also)

Is this what they are telling everyone?

They told me the CC was to qualify you for the swap. The 622 will be leased but nothing is charged to the CC.

I have an old 4000 model that I haul around in our camper. Works great and I like the UHF remote that allows me to stash it in a bay and out of the way.Dish doesn't offer a 1 Tv receiver with UHF remote as far as I can tell. How far into the future can I expect to be able to use it or have to replace it?
The 612 is a receiver intended for a single TV and it's remote is UHF. It does have dual tuners though. However, if you're using a crankup dish on the roof, just get a DP LNB and two way power pass splitter rated to 2300mhz if you only got one line up to the dish.

Got a 722 for my 921

DISH called to upgrade me and proposed a 622 for my (owned) 921. I asked for a 722 and was told that was not the offer. When the installer showed up, he put in a 722 and called in to authorize it and was given some sort of guff on the other end. He told them he didn't have a 622 with him and he was from about 70 miles away. DISH evidently gave him the OK and I now have a 722 (to go with my 622 and 508). The DVR programs on the 921 still play, even without any antenna input. I don't have any off air HD available in Flagstaff, AZ, but I may take it to my daughter's in the Phoenix area and try using it to get off air there. Does anyone know if this will work, even though it's no longer activated with DISH?

DISH called to upgrade me and proposed a 622 for my (owned) 921. I asked for a 722 and was told that was not the offer. When the installer showed up, he put in a 722 and called in to authorize it and was given some sort of guff on the other end. He told them he didn't have a 622 with him and he was from about 70 miles away. DISH evidently gave him the OK and I now have a 722 (to go with my 622 and 508). The DVR programs on the 921 still play, even without any antenna input. I don't have any off air HD available in Flagstaff, AZ, but I may take it to my daughter's in the Phoenix area and try using it to get off air there. Does anyone know if this will work, even though it's no longer activated with DISH?

PM Iceberg, he'll know. I think he's doing just that with an old 811.

Was it Cavemen Entertainment that came out and did your upgrade?

Hope they run out of 622's and bring a 722....:):):)
That happened with me, so they canceled my appointment yesterday and rescheduled for the 28th. I asked them just to bring a 722, but they said no, not without me paying for it.

We'll see what happens on the 28th if they don't have any 622's.

Got the 622 on Tuesday. Has a few more DVR features compared to the 942, but otherwise not much difference. And I get the MPEG4 channels on that TV now. I was mostly using it for local HD anyway with a silver sensor antenna, so the upgrade really doesn't make much difference to me.

My finiky 622 went out again today and I called Dish. After all the CSR help, a service call is scheduled for Monday.

About 1 hour later Dish called and told me my owned 942 would no longer receive HD as of 17 Sep and offered a leased 622 for free with no additional charges except 1 cent increase in HD (from $9.99 to $10.00) and I keep my 942. I told him I would return the 942 if I could get a 722 instead. I have too many problems with both my 622's and don't want another. He said it would cost me $150.00 for the 722. I said I'd have to think about it.

I received my 211 to replace my 811 that I owned. I plugged it in and went to the Dish site and activated the 211 and it automatically deactivated the 811. Took about two minutes for the signal to kick in. Note: They did send me a silver 211 and not a black 211K. Hmmmm! But it works fine so far and no monthly additional receiver fee, since I owned the 811. The 211 will have to be sent back, if I ever drop Dish, but I do not intend to do that. So who cares.

I just called to set up an appointment for my free upgrade, and to switch to the HD Absolute package. The goof I spoke to insisted the HD Absolute package is not available until August 1. He put me on hold to check, and comes back saying the same thing. I then called the customer service # and was told IT IS available, but the programming will be shut off August 1. And starting August 1, you need to switch to one of the new Bronze HD packages. She also said they don't have the Bronze packages programming set yet. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!

I feel sorry for those of you that have to use the customer CSR 800 #. A local dealer can access the retailer CSR's that are in the good ol' USA and are trained to actually be helpful. Establish a relationship with a local dealer/installer and enjoy his/her's access to CSR"s that DO try to be provide service.

Has anyone with an "owned" MPEG2 reciever gotten a "fair" upgrade offer from Dish. We have an owned 942 and Dish has started to contact us with the standard upgrade offer, but the best they will do is a "leased" reciever in exchange. Frankly, Dish should make good with all thier MPEG2 owners and replace those units (even if the replacements are refurbs) before they consider "breaking" those system and taking away the primary functionality of those recievers (IE that it's a MPEG2 HD reciever).

I thought I was getting a fair deal, especially since the installer only had a 722 in his truck, so I got that rather than a 622. However, the installer took my owned 942 with him, saying he was required to (even showed me the work order) and that they wouldn't work at all after August 1st. I figured no big deal since I got a 722 rather than 622, wasn't going to be charged the lease fee on the new receiver, since I owned my 942, and the new HD programming was only $0.01 more per month than the old HD Pack. Well, I should have known there would be problems.

I callled Dish to change to the new HD programming and was told my bill was going up by over $7 per month. Guess why... a $7 per month lease fee on the new receiver. I was also told I should not have been required to turn in my owned 942 and that it will work as an SD DVR after August 1st. The CSR got approval to credit the $7 per month fee for 1 year, but not after that. He also called the Hub to request my old receiver back. He also suggested I try to conatct the installer. I called the installer and told him what I waas told by Dish. he said he would bring the receiver back to me, and hung up. It's now two days later and I have no 942.

All of the CSRs I've talked to have been nice, but mostly unknowledgable. I haven't experienced a company so poorly run in quite a while. Good luck to everyone in getting what they were promised, especially if you owned your equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)