Dish to start upgrading HD customers to MPEG4

Swapping cards...now swapping receivers...and a proclomation that is not even clear. The alert seem to suggest an entire MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. The fact is its very limited.

Assuming the success of this rollout, how many MPEG2 HD channels are there that can be converted MPEG4 afterward? Also, how many more MPEG4 HD channels will they have capacity for after this transition?

I wonder how they will handle the grand-fathered $10 mpeg-2 HD accounts? Mine's pre-paid for a year. They can have both my 811s but the 6000 I'll keep because of the VGA output works with any old computer monitor. (only used for OTA anyway.)

A good questions is...If you OWN your MPEG2 HD reciever will you OWN the one they upgrade you too?

I bet not...it will probably be a leased receiver and you will probably have to extend your programming commitment if you get it from E*. The only way it will be yours is if you buy it yourself.

How many HD MPEG2 channels are left on Dish?

Universal HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
HBO HD?
Showtime HD?
TNT HD?
A&E HD?
Discovery HD Theater?
HD PPV?

So the demise of MPEG2 HD is finally upon us! I consider that a good thing for the obvious reasons of bandwidth savings, improved quality (the usual caveats apply), etc.

Next step: switch MPEG2 SD users to MPEG4. But that brings up an issue... There are a significant number of subscribers who don't want/have HD displays. Offering them an HD box is not problem since the boxes down-rez over the familiar RCA (et al) jacks, but: When this happens, will the ridiculous HD enabling fee finally go away?

Swapping cards...now swapping receivers...and a proclomation that is not even clear. The alert seem to suggest an entire MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. The fact is its very limited.

That is not all. Swapping cards first, then swapping receivers, then having to put a new card into the new box once they do the card swap later this year on ALL of the existing cards we have now. Yee Haw.

So the demise of MPEG2 HD is finally upon us! I consider that a good thing for the obvious reasons of bandwidth savings, improved quality (the usual caveats apply), etc.

Next step: switch MPEG2 SD users to MPEG4. But that brings up an issue... There are a significant number of subscribers who don't want/have HD displays. Offering them an HD box is not problem since the boxes down-rez over the familiar RCA (et al) jacks, but: When this happens, will the ridiculous HD enabling fee finally go away?
I posted this in another thread but here it again, I found out during a couple quick power outages that the 722 can be set to receive SD only. My power went out and while my 722 was rebooting the power went out again. when it finished rebooting the 2nd time there were no HD channels available on any list.I went to my menu and pulled up my local OTA HD channels and somewhere along the line it said I would have to call dish to upgrade to HD. when I went to system info it said I had a 722 SD instead of 722 HD. I rebooted a 3rd time and it went back to normal, so I guess they have the ability to change a HD box to SD box at any time, in fact if needed then can probaly send it out as sd and upgrade to hd if a customer wants an upgrade. anybody else seen this?

Cool, but then how will already paying subscribing get this upgrade?
k gotchya dont have to answer me im a noob and ill admit it
have patience , have time , have concern

You will have nothing to upgrade. You can ignore this thread and pretend it never happened because you will NOT be getting an mpeg 2 box for HD. They have only provided Mpeg4/mpeg2 boxes for HD for a couple years now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)