Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Dish to stream live TV on iPad, other devices

By DEBORAH YAO (AP) – 30 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA — Dish subscribers will soon be able to watch live satellite TV on their mobile devices at no extra cost.

Dish Network Corp. is planning to offer the feature on the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and BlackBerry devices in September and on phones using Google Inc.'s Android system in October.

Subscribers will need special hardware. One option is Sling Media Inc.'s SlingBox, which retails for $180 to $300. Dish subscribers can also pay $200 to $400 to upgrade to Dish's high-definition digital video recorder with SlingBox features; they'll need to pay $10 a month for multiple DVR service, but they'll get recording capabilities with it. Sling is owned by EchoStar Corp., whose chairman is Dish CEO Charles Ergen.

Read the rest at The Associated Press: Dish to stream live TV on iPad, other devices

I have done some poking around (nothing official) and it appears there will be a special Dish Remote Access software released in September (pending approval from Apple of course) that will have the Slingplayer built in and this version can only be used by DISH Network customers to view their Slingboxes hooked up to their vip receivers.

I am also hearing... (again NOT official) the app will be FREE.

Dish Network Corp. is planning to offer the feature on the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and BlackBerry devices in September and on phones using Google Inc.'s Android system in October.

At least Dish has the good sense to realize the iPhone isn't the only smartphone out there. I'm glad they're showing some love to the Blackberries, as RIM has the largest installed base in North America.

Wow, that is GREAT news! I hope it is really free. I have already paid for the iphone version on my ipad and the resolution sucks so hopefully it will be optimized for the ipad.

Wow, that is GREAT news! I hope it is really free. I have already paid for the iphone version on my ipad and the resolution sucks so hopefully it will be optimized for the ipad.
Yes it will be... Download the DISH Remote Access app for your iPad and you can see what it will look like since that is half of the program which is already done. :D

Agree, and for some reason I can't get my ipad to download the iphone version. Give us the iPad app already Dish!

So once Dish/Sling delivers the iPad version.....

1 - Will this allow Dish customers to 'sling' Dish DVR content to an iPad WITHOUT using bandwidth on their internet connection. IOW can the sling traffic be restricted to a wireless LAN in the home?

2 - Will this allow Dish to offer a wireless "Whole House DVR" system using Sling and iPads?

Talon Dancer

So I was messing around with my remote access the other night using the web site from inside my home and I started playing a couple shows. My downstream network bandwidth coming into my laptop using a wireless connection was 5-8Mbps/sec which is over twice my upstream bandwidth that Charter gives me. There's no way in hell that video is going up to the Dish site and then back down into my laptop.

Dish subscribers will soon be able to watch live satellite TV on their mobile devices at no extra cost.***

*** $7 iPad intergration fee - $7 loyalty credit until we decide to sneak it onto your bill :(

Agree, and for some reason I can't get my ipad to download the iphone version. Give us the iPad app already Dish!

I too am eagerly awaiting the iPad app and at first wondered why I couldn't download the new iPhone app. Seems it needs iOS 4.0 or later, so this would seem to be the reason since the iPad is still at 3.2.2. Best guess is that that is the reason why we don't have an iPad app yet, and my guess is that it will be available "soon" after the iOS 4.0 update to the iPad

Maybe it's me, but I can't figure out how to get live tv on my iPhone with this app. I have the latest version downloaded from iTunes, v4.1 on my iPhone, 722 receiver with a Sling Solo.

I can watch live tv on the Sling application and the Sling website. I can 'see' my 722 on the iPhone app and I can see what programs I have recorded.

What are you guys with iPhone's doing to be able to view live tv on your phone? On iTunes people are leaving comments that they have 722's with Sling Solo's and they can view live tv, I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Disregard, I figured it out. I found the setting to tell the iPhone app I had a Sling Solo and configured it. Now it works!

Disregard, I figured it out. I found the setting to tell the iPhone app I had a Sling Solo and configured it. Now it works!

I had problems finding this also for my Slingbox Solo. Its in "More" -> "Receivers" -> Choose the Receiver -> "Edit" -> Choose the Receiver Again ....Then you should see a setting to add your Slingbox.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts