Dish told me I have to switch to Satellite 77 - Which transponder?

bertherr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Dish network told me I need to switch to satellite 77 or at some point I will loose HD channels. I currently use 61.5 for HD. I have a clear line of sight to 77. What transponder do I select or will the transponder set itself once I hit satellite 77? Thanks, Bert

Sounds like they want you on the EARC which is 61.5, 72.7 and 77. Also you need to have VIP receivers. Go to instalationm, point dish to see what your currently aimed at. When I replaced my 722 several weeks ago, the instructions that came with it were out dated. When I tried to folow them it wanted me to do a Dish 500 setup. But since I was converted to the EARC, I no longer aimed at 2 of the sat's. Again, the CSR just had me point to 77 and select "Done" The correct info was then download to my receiver.

I believe they told you the wrong information or you misunderstood. It is 72 you need, not 77. (You still need 61.5 also) Only if your locals are on 77 would you need to get it. (Aside from some international channels)

I believe they told you the wrong information or you misunderstood. It is 72 you need, not 77. (You still need 61.5 also) Only if your locals are on 77 would you need to get it. (Aside from some international channels)

Today that would be correct. Who knows what they have in mind for tomorrow...

I will call Dish again and make sure which satellite to point to. When I had HD service added several years ago, they added a second dish to do so. Also, the new boxes in the house a VIP722 & VIP211. I am pretty sure that all of my HD is from the second dish using 61.5. Last year I was loosing my HD channels and all I had to do was rotate the dish to get a better signal on 61.5. Thanks, Bert

Today that would be correct. Who knows what they have in mind for tomorrow...

If you re-read his post, he has 61.5. He does not have 72 based on his post. Dish is currently moving HD to 72, nothing at all is going to 77. (Again unless his locals are going there - very very unlikely they are not even moving locals from 61.5 to 72 let alone moving them to 77) It just makes sense they told him or should have told him it is 72 he needs.

Also, bertherr, you would in all likelihood need both 61.5 and 72 to get all the HD channels, I suppose depending on what package you get...

Yes, I read his post the first time. All I am saying is, that with everyone on Eastern Arc, Dish can move channels around on all three satellites anytime they want. I'm sure they want him to go Eastern Arc, full time so that he, or they, won't have to continually keep redirecting his dish.

Ya, maybe it's the way he posted it. But that is not what he said. They didn't say you need to be on the Eastern Arc, or you need to have us come out and change your system, it reads like they were very specific, that he needs 77. As we stand here now (or sit....:) ) that would not be correct information....

You are correct. Dish told me today that I need to switch to satellite 72 (actually 72.7, they said), not 77. Is it possible to aim the dish and get 72 & 61.5 together? I'll give it a try. Thanks, Bert

How many dishes do you now have and what sats are they pointed at. You can't move the 61.5 dish to 72 and receive all your channels.

You are correct. Dish told me today that I need to switch to satellite 72 (actually 72.7, they said), not 77. Is it possible to aim the dish and get 72 & 61.5 together? I'll give it a try. Thanks, Bert

I don't know enough to tell you if a Dish 500 can see both those, it can see two satellites but it was 119.110. There is a specific dish that certainly does get 72 and 65, and 77 also all at the same time. I just don't know if the dish you have can see both 65 and 72..

If they called you, they are probably willing to come out and give you a 1000.4 dish for free, installation included.

Been away from the forum for a while so excuse Me if I am not "up to date" on things.
Last summer/fall I recall a lot of discusion about moving everyone to either EA or WA. Seems that this is either not happening or is just a very slow process.
I still have a hybrid set up (110,119, 61.5). The 61.5 was put in long befor HD came along, i believe it has to do wirh aome of the locals comming on on it, but that waa a long time ago. Havent heard a word from dish about migrating to EA. I was even quite surprised that we are now receiving HLN in HD since a year ago all the "NEW" HDs were put on 72.
Any way I digress. If Dish telling the op he needs to have 72 why not just schedule him for an upgrade to EA? I guess things don't change much...

ROSS

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I have a little more trouble being home for a Dish appointment than I do finding the time to put the ladder up to aim the dish myself. I would just like to try it myself, if it is a simple aim, than make an appointment and wait for someone to show up.
Dish has told me that I do not need an equipment upgrade. But, maybe the person on the phone is only talking about receivers and not the dish.
If I can not aim the dish and get 61.5 & 72 I will set it back to 61.5 and have someone from Dish come out and take care of it. Thanks, Bert

Convert dish 500 to be used for 61.5 and 72.7

I just did it today and it was very successful. I have 2 dish 500's. One has a dishpro twin lnb aimed at 110/119. The other had a dishpro single lnb pointed to 61.5, but this one has now been converted and re-aimed to get 61.5/72.7. I kept the 110/119 dish installed as a backup but am now using eastern arc but without 77. Nothing there I want right now anyway. For the conversion I used a second dishpro single with a y yoke to give me 2 singles on the 61.5 dish 500. The original dish 500 came this way before they were changed to the twin lnb. By using the two singles it allowed me to gently pry them apart about an extra 1/4 " to get the proper spacing for an 11 degree arc difference. For aiming I averaged the az. and elev. settings for the two satellites. For skew I went by the 1000.4 charts which for me was 75.9. These settings were for my initial starting point. I ended up twittling these a little to get the best compromise for signal level for the two satellites.
In the end my signal levels for each satellite are about 10% lower than normal due to the compromise but still acceptable, 50-67 on 61.5 and 40-54 on 72.7. I didn't try it but I think you may be able to do this with a dish 500/twin lnb also if that's what you have.

Good to hear. It is doubtful you will need 77 anytime soon. you now have the same set-up I do. And yes, it does provide a nice backup...

I have a little more trouble being home for a Dish appointment than I do finding the time to put the ladder up to aim the dish myself. I would just like to try it myself, if it is a simple aim, than make an appointment and wait for someone to show up.
Dish has told me that I do not need an equipment upgrade. But, maybe the person on the phone is only talking about receivers and not the dish.
If I can not aim the dish and get 61.5 & 72 I will set it back to 61.5 and have someone from Dish come out and take care of it. Thanks, Bert
dish can come anyday of the week, even weekends, just set up the appointment on a day you know you will be home. have you been getting any letters from dish, they are trying to get people with mixed arc setups corrected. it will be of no cost to you and they will install you with a new EA dish or WA dish, one dish receiving three sats. hope you get it fixed, you may be missing channels.

And if not today, maybe tomorrow. 77 has nothing of desire for you today but when Dish decides to move some of the HD that you watch today over there you'll be singing the blues. Next time the upgrade will not be free if you refused it the first time.

This corects the original post:
Dish network told me, via an email, that I need to switch to satellite 72.7 or at some point I will loose HD channels. I currently use 61.5 for HD. I have a clear line of sight to 72.7. What transponder do I select or will the transponder set itself once I hit satellite 72.7?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)