Dish Transfer App

The transfer from receiver to the app is very quick. The transcoding is the time consuming process.
How quick is "quick"? EHD transfers add encryption and they take about the same amount of transfer time as we're hearing here.

If they're using the Sling hardware to do the transcoding, I would imagine it is at worst in real time but it seems like it could be much faster than real time if the transcode parameters are non-variable.

Dish has stated 5 minutes for 30 min of programming for transfer time.

Dish has also state one to one ratio for conversion time. Hence, a 2 hour program will take 2 hours to convert.

As an example, set up a timer for a movie and when the timer is set up, choose the "prepare for mobile" option. The movie finishes airing and is recorded to the Hopper and transcodes on the receiver. Then open the app and hit the transfer option and the transfer takes about 15 minutes. I'm pretty certain if you select the prepare for mobile option when setting up the timer that it prepares it while it is being recorded. If you select an event that is already stored on the hard drive and prepare that item then I think it is done in real time 1:1. So in my opinion, the best option is to choose "prepare for mobile" when creating the timer so it is ready to be transfered once the recording is done.

But only if you have an iPad. Android tablet users (there are many of us) are SOL for now. You have to wonder, why only iPad?
No need to wonder. The iPad represents a couple of basic configurations. Android tablets represent dozens of different configurations with widely varying levels of hardware and a few OS versions to go with

No need to wonder. The iPad represents a couple of basic configurations. Android tablets represent dozens of different configurations with widely varying levels of hardware and a few OS versions to go with

Nah... their developers are just lazy and in love with IOS like a lot of 'em. At least the IPad leads in market share.

As an example, set up a timer for a movie and when the timer is set up, choose the "prepare for mobile" option. The movie finishes airing and is recorded to the Hopper and transcodes on the receiver. Then open the app and hit the transfer option and the transfer takes about 15 minutes. I'm pretty certain if you select the prepare for mobile option when setting up the timer that it prepares it while it is being recorded. If you select an event that is already stored on the hard drive and prepare that item then I think it is done in real time 1:1. So in my opinion, the best option is to choose "prepare for mobile" when creating the timer so it is ready to be transfered once the recording is done.

If it can transcode ... while recording ... that would be slick!

It DOES transcode while recording if you choose the "prepare for mobile" option when setting up the timer. So essentially, you can set a timer for your movie and then when the movie is done recording, transfer it to the Ipad right afterwards and it doesn't take very long at all. The transfer time is dependent on your network speed but it is a really quick process.

If you have a recording on the Hopper that was NOT prepped for mobile when the timer was set, and you decide to prep it after it was recorded or prep it from the app itself then that is when you are looking at a real time transcode 1:1 speed.

Content with DRM restrictions are moved to the Ipad, not copied. So once you try to prep the content for transfer it will tell you that it is going to deleted it off of the Hopper. You can NOT transfer back from the Ipad to the Hopper.

Just wanna make sure I understand what your saying.For instance,say I have an episode of The Waking Dead on my hopper,I want to take it with me on my mobile device,so once the show is transcoded you no longer have access to it on the hopper?

No, that only happens if there is DRM protection. Which would apply to things like HBO, Cinemax, PPV etc... I believe there is a limit on how many times an event can be transfered, so if you transfered The Walking Dead eps 1 to the iPad and then deleted it from the iPad, then decided you wanted it back on your iPad, you can only transfer it X amount of times. After X amount of times it will tell you its been transfered too many times or something along those lines. (I'm not 100% sure on how many times 1 specific event can be transfered) But most content is just copied over and the original file stays on the Hopper hard drive. If you were to transfer Walking Dead Ep1 so many times that it hits the limit, you could always delete the original copy of WD Ep1 saved on your hard drive and re-record it when it airs again and then transfer.

Good answer lucky.So for another example...I have Game of Thrones recorded on the hopper.Wanna take it on my android device,does it delete from the hopper because of the drm?

Hopper Transfers is Ipad only so it wont' work on your Android. If you had an Ipad and a Hopper with Sling then it may delete and I would guess that it does since thats an HBO show. I'm pretty certain its on all HBO and Cinemax content. Anything you attempt to transfer via the app will warn you before it lets you transfer if it is a DRM event that will be deleted after transfer and you can confirm that you want to transfer it or cancel to just leave it on your Hopper.

Was generalizing when I said android btw.Kind of stinks that it would have to delete or disable drm content.I know that's not Dish's fault but still,it would be annoying to have to record the same thing multiple times simply because you wanted to take it mobile.

Was generalizing when I said android btw.Kind of stinks that it would have to delete or disable drm content.I know that's not Dish's fault but still,it would be annoying to have to record the same thing multiple times simply because you wanted to take it mobile.

That's really a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

So lets say we move a show to our iPad and take it to our RV. If we then hook up the iPad to an HDTV there via HDMI, will it display on the HDTV or will "the system" prevent it from working like that?

And is there a video displaying how the Transfer App works. For that matter, a video showing speed and functions of the old vs new Hoppers?

New customer, upgrading to new hopper

Hopper with bluetooth pairing problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)