Dish treats former customers like dirt.

drmoses

Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Just got off the phone with Richie (operator ID A03). When I called for info about signing up with new Dish service (2 room HDTV's/1 with HDDVR other just HD), he asked if I'd ever used it before. 'Yes, 6 years ago when I lived with my parents.' Since then I've lived in another state (3 years/used cable), then back in Calif., diff. city and was with voom and patiently waiting for a good alternative since it's demise. He asked for my former addresses and apparently because my parent's put my name as an authorized name to make changes to their account he withdrew his 'great offers' and stated that as a CURRENT customer I was not entitled to any special offers! I couldn't explain it enough that I was not the main account holder on the other one (billing/etc. is in their name), but he didn't care. He stated there is only ONE LIFETIME new customer offer and I received that a decade ago. Off course this was a flat out lie as he admitted that if my parents never placed my name as authorized to make changes or if they'd removed my name before I placed the call, then I would be entitled to the current offers. Even asking to have my name removed from my parents account didn't help. I'd like to congratulate Ritchie for now loosing 2 customers (myself and my parents as soon as I can find them an alternative company). I can wait a little longer for good HD options from a company that treats its former and I guess technically current customers better. I'm not one to give companies 2nd chances, but unfortunately for Dish an email requesting details on HD took about 2 months for get a reply and DirectTV about 1 day. Clearly a difference in priorities now 2 times in a row...

Have your parents remove your name from their account, and find a LOCAL RETAILER who can help you. If your address and phone number are different from your parents, the retailer will be able to set you up with a new account.

Best of luck

Alan

I feel your pain. I was in a similiar boat. Bought my own equipment for full price in 1998 and have only subbed to international. Called to see if I can get a deal to upgrade to regular. I thought they would be all over me trying to get a new customer but I'm a "current" customer and they can't offer me anything. I don't get why customer service is always rated so high when they never do anything for the customer except nickel and dime them.

drmoses said:
...he asked if I'd ever used it before. 'Yes, 6 years ago when I lived with my parents.' Since then I've lived in another state (3 years/used cable), then back in Calif., diff. city... He asked for my former addresses and apparently because my parent's put my name as an authorized name to make changes to their account... I couldn't explain it enough that I was not the main account holder on the other one (billing/etc. is in their name)
I'm sorry, but this isn't believeable. The other account was in your parent's name, not yours. No way any company would consider *you* the customer. In fact, why would he ask you if you "used" Dish before ?? If you were at the neighbors watching sports and you turned the channel on his Dish system, you've "used" Dish. They might ask "have you ever been a customer before", which in your case, the answer is "No".

I don't like either one and customer service doesn't care about your needs after the fact just enough to get you to sign up. I have very seriously considered spending the money for a c band set up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)