This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish TV and SureWest TV on same cable

Wolowitz

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Kansas City
Hi Everybody,
I just joined and this is my first post. I tried to look and search for the situation I have but didn't quite find the right thread, so I am posting this question.

I have had Dish TV for the last several years primarily for the International programming + American Programming (HD). My internet is through DSL (No telephone line).This month my HOA approved SureWest and they are running a very sweet deal where in I am getting basic cable, local and internet for a bundle price.

My home is pre-wired and I have a Dish HD DVR VIP722 for controlling two TV's (one in my Living Room) and other in my BR. My living room set up is running through my AV Receiver. I have got an extra HDTV which I am planning to put in my wife's hobby room in the basement.

I need to keep my Dish for International programming but American Programming and Internet I am switching to SureWest. SureWest will run a separate line for Internet since it is fiberoptics but my question is can I have Dish and Cable from Surewest run through the same cable and then at the end split it into their respective HD DVR/Receivers? International Channels are all NON HD.

SureWest said that they would probably have to charge me extra $$ for running a separate cable. Is there way to accomplish this using Diplexer?

If not, since my house is pre-wired and the cables from outside come to my basement in a distribution box, can the tech from SureWest run extra cables for American Programming in my Living Room and Basement (where I intend to have Dish) and for the rest of house make use of my existing connections?

So what I am planning to achieve will be somewhat like this:
Living Room and Basement : Dish TV for International Programming (Non HD Channels) + SureWest for American Channels (HD + Non HD Channels)
Rest of the House : SureWest
Internet: Separate FiberOptic line.

I will appreciate any help or guidance.

Thanks!

No. You need separate lines.

Are you sure he can't use 2 diplexers to combine the Dish and cable? Last I checked they run on different frequencies unless digital cable is up in the 950-1450Mhz area

Cable runs on similar frequencies as satellite so diplexing both could cause problems. However, I have seen it work. The problem you will have will be with tv2. It will be fuzzy.