DISH v Networks - Arguments Today to Determine Venue for AutoHop Lawsuit

Autohop Hearing Today!!!

Just reminding you guys that there's a hearing today on Dish's Autohop feature. Basically the main argument will be if the case will be held in New York or Los Angeles. (Today's hearing happens to be in NY) Not a huge deal, but any news can be important in a big case like this one. The LA Times has an article about it.
CBS, NBC and Fox head to court over Dish ad-skipping feature - latimes.com

BTW, yesterday was the 71st anniversary of the 1st television commercial. I wonder if the networks or Dish will bring that up today. Things that make you go hmmm.....

Interesting,i heard a radio spot for the hopper this morning and it was the first one I have heard that in no way mentioned skipping commercials.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

On my local radio stations ,both am and Fm, I hear nothing but Hopper commercials, extolling the virtues of auto skipping network commercials. Ironic that these commercials won't be aired on the networks and they have to use Radio to sell them.

Turned on am radio the other day and Sean Hannity did a commercial himself for the hopper on his show. Very weird hearing him talk about the HAWPER in his Boston accent.

What accent? We don't have an accent! It's all of you with the accents, with your "rou-t" (route) instead of the normal "root" (route) and needing to pronounce your "R" all the time! :)

Actually, I'm accused of not being from Boston, because mine isn't as pronounced as most others.

...and Billboards. Drove by a billboard on the way to work, said 'Ad free TV' and had the kangaroo on it.

Note there was no asterisk, fine print, etc about it being only certain channels/times...

On the radio station I always listen to, I've heard Hopper commercials for weeks. Now the past couple of days, it's been one to the effect of "attention Dish Network viewers" about them dropping AMC. I didn't hear the whole spot, but it must be from a competitor. Haven't heard the Hopper ad lately though...

The judge says she should rule within a week. Dish has a good argument that most the contracts that Dish has with the broadcasters are subject to New York State law.

Dish, broadcasters argue over trial venue

In a hearing before Judge Laura Taylor Swain, an attorney for Dish argued for litigation to proceed in a New York courtroom. Dish has requested a New York venue on grounds that several of its key contracts with broadcasters are governed by New York state law.

This quote at the end of the LA Times article says it all:

"On the one hand, I wish people were watching 'Modern Family' live," he said. "On the other hand, there are many who would miss it if not for their DVRs." If advertisers want their ads to be seen, maybe they should make better commercials, he added.

After all, Levitan said, "People stop to watch Apple ads."

Since people have had the ability to fast forward thru or skip commercials for some time, all that the hopper offers is a more efficient way of skipping the commercials. The hopper in no way edits of alters the network stream and it employs the commercial skipping feature only if the user activates it. I’m at somewhat of a loss as to the nature of the lawsuit and the networks expectations.

If the networks lose, and I think they will, look for them to attempt to alter the way commercial breaks are detected in an attempt to defeat the hopper’s commercial skipping feature.

Its simple, the networks know that if commercial skipping becomes wide spead that it will cut into their profits, so they are going to sue any way they can to see what sticks to fight this thing.

I am told that DIRECTV already has auto commecial skipping ready to go (called Genie) and they are just sitting back and watching the outcome of this lawsuit. If DISH wins it would not surprise me to see the Genie unleashed within a few days of the ruling.

think it will cause an increase in fees from the networks affected? and therefore an increase in sat fees?

This should be an interesting decision coming soon as I can't wait for the decision :)

I hear Hopper commercials on the radio quite often but haven't heard them mention commercial-skipping, just PrimeTime AnyTime. On The Bob & Tom Show, they "talk" the commercial and mock the TV commercial's "Bahstahn" accents by saying "Happer!".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)