DISH v Networks - Arguments Today to Determine Venue for AutoHop Lawsuit

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
think it will cause an increase in fees from the networks affected? and therefore an increase in sat fees?

Given the rash of increases requested by the various programmers and locals now and the amounts they are asking for all too many times, I don't think it will make an appreciable difference.

lparsons21 said:
Given the rash of increases requested by the various programmers and locals now and the amounts they are asking for all too many times, I don't think it will make an appreciable difference.

Sadly, everything is about money (the root of all evil). $$$

I am betting that if the networks gave the satellite companies a few minutes each hour to air their own commercials then we wouldn't have this commercial skipping technology on our DVR's.

The networks have simply gotten fat and greedy over the years. Commercial time has gone from 5-6 minutes/half hour to 10 (plus a lot more on some cable channels). No wonder people want to skip commercials when 1/3 of a show is commercials.

I am told that DIRECTV already has auto commecial skipping ready to go (called Genie) and they are just sitting back and watching the outcome of this lawsuit. If DISH wins it would not surprise me to see the Genie unleashed within a few days of the ruling.
Wow once again d-tv people get to sit back and rip the benefits of E's hard work and will the die-hard appreciate it, I bet not. :eek:

This quote at the end of the LA Times article says it all:

"On the one hand, I wish people were watching 'Modern Family' live," he said. "On the other hand, there are many who would miss it if not for their DVRs." If advertisers want their ads to be seen, maybe they should make better commercials, he added.

After all, Levitan said, "People stop to watch Apple ads."

Well, I've got to admit, I'm watching a few commercials. Skip ahead, "what was that," go back.

Since the skipping doesn't happen for 24 hours, there must be a reason. It only gets counted as "viewed" if within 24 hours? In which case, this will not affect network ad revenues.

In any event, even if the big OTA networks won't air Dish commercials, there are plenty of other networks that will.

If the networks would give DISH or DIRECTV 3 minutes per hour to insert their own commercials then none of this would be happening. Just like they do for their cable networks. :)

I didn't know that. Unequal treatment. Maybe that will come up in court, too.

Scott is making this up.
I am not making anything up, please learn to read.

To clarify... what is the big reason why they are not using AutoHop on ALL the channels DISH carries?

The big reason is all the cable networks give DISH, DIRECTV and Cable Companies a few minutes an hour to insert their own commercials to their viewers. DISH and the other companies can (and do) sell this ad time to other companies and they make some big bucks selling this ad time. Any extra time they have left unsold they can stick in ads for DISH PPV or other DISH ads.

Now with the Big 4 Networks DISH and the other companies get ZERO AD TIME to insert their own ads. What I was saying is imagine if the Big 4 gave them 3 minutes an hour to insert their own ads. My feeling is if they did this there would be no auto hop because DISH (or no other company) wants to harm its own ad revenue.

And that's what I was trying to say.

Teehar said:
That is a bit of good news!

Same logic dish is using. In ny, the customer is renting a remote storage device and controls it.

With dish, the customer has the complete recording with ads and must physically choose to skip the ad.

And, individuals have the right for a single use of copyright material for their personal use (no sharing with 3rd parties).

To clarify... what is the big reason why they are not using AutoHop on ALL the channels DISH carries?

The big reason is all the cable networks give DISH, DIRECTV and Cable Companies a few minutes an hour (snip)

Now with the Big 4 Networks DISH and the other companies get ZERO AD TIME to insert their own ads...
That makes Dish sound like a 9-year old...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts