Dish VIP 722: What is the largest size supported USB External Hard Disk?

You need to drop by more often. I'm pretty sure it was front page news at the time.

I do pop in about once a day during the week, but don't always read all of the thread titles. But I meant Dish could have run a commercial or push something to the DVRs. It would seem that it would have been a "look what we did for you" type of PR win. Or at least announce it when they hiked the prices. Just a thought.

All external HDD's must be SINGLE, not two HDD's in a single case such as two 1TB in a fat case marketed at "2TB." So be certain your 2TB external HDD is a single HDD.

Any issues with a Macally PHR-AC100? I got a new OWC Mercury and slapped a WD 1gb Black, and retired the Macally which holds a 320gb IDE. Its been sitting around collecting dust, but I'd love to connect it to a 722k to archive shows. Afaik the Macally uses the Oxford chipset which is supposed to be what to get in any enclosure.

Also I read not to use a bus powered EHD, has to have its own power supply. If not, I'd love to get an OWC bus powered 2.5" EHD.

Use the software that came with your drive and connect it up to a computer and run "Seagate Manager". Or go to the Seagate website: Seagate FreeAgent Family Software Downloads | Seagate and download Seagate Manager. Install it on your computer.

Run Seagate manager and it should recognize you Freeagent Seagate drive even if you formatted it on your Dish receiver. It will show unknown partition, that's OK, click settings and on the next page click "Adjust Power Settings" and change the time to Never. You can also go to "Adjust LED control" and turn off the LED light.

Any one know how to disable the sleep function on my Seagate Freeagent USB drive when connected to my 622?

Just remember if the drive fails (and it will), you lose EVERYTHING - I recommend using smaller drives - say 500MB so one loss is not a total one.

Another question

Just remember if the drive fails (and it will), you lose EVERYTHING - I recommend using smaller drives - say 500MB so one loss is not a total one.

I was wondering if my hard drive crashes in my 722 like so many have if I save everything to an external hd if the one in the receiver go out will I still be able to watch the recordings on my external hd, also is there a feature that lets me back up the movies on the internal hd to the the external hd as a safety feature so I stop loosing my recordings and the ability to record when the receiver goes out like always.

I was wondering if my hard drive crashes in my 722 like so many have if I save everything to an external hd if the one in the receiver go out will I still be able to watch the recordings on my external hd, also is there a feature that lets me back up the movies on the internal hd to the the external hd as a safety feature so I stop loosing my recordings and the ability to record when the receiver goes out like always.

I presume you don't want to lose the recordings, but they are not 'loose'; meaning Not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached: "a loose tooth".

If the hard drive crashes in your 722, the system will be TOTALLY DEAD!!! There is no way to start the system with a dead hard drive.

You can transfer your saved recordings to an External Hard Drive, but you cannot make back-ups of them.

Good luck finding a 500MB drive that's new. Besides, the DVRs don't support anything less than 50GB, and hell, a half-hour SD recording will fill the drive.

Yes. If you get a replacement receiver, that's of a similar model (622/722/722K/922 OR 211/211K/411,) then it will work. 211 EHD will not work with 722K EHD. 722K EHD will work with 622, etc.

Whatever.[/url]

That would be 500GB, not 500MB. I'd still get a 1-2TB drive, no point in buying a 500GB drive that costs the same. Drive failure is not THAT common, and if you're that worried about it, don't run the EHD all the time, and don't drop it or anything of the likes.

There is no longer a charge for EHDs on ViP DVRs.

Even back when there was a fee (still is for 211/211K/411,) it was a one-time, per-account charge. Once the feature was activated, could use any compatible drive you wanted, on any compatible receiver, on the same account.

If you are worried about losing recordings, you could go RAID.
RAID is not supported.

Since the drive isn't particularly active if you aren't sending something to it or watching something from it, it is much less likely to wear out or be corrupted than a drive that is always active.

RAID is not supported.

Since the drive isn't particularly active if you aren't sending something to it or watching something from it, it is much less likely to wear out or be corrupted than a drive that is always active.

Why isn't it supported? Its hardware raid, so the dvr won't even know.

Why isn't it supported? Its hardware raid, so the dvr won't even know.

Hardware RAID will indeed work. Just keep in mind that RAID 0 (striping) is the only way you can make the "1TB" drives (in which the enclosure actually consists of 2 500GB drives) truly 1TB. This would have absolutely no benefit over a single 1TB drive, at least via USB 2.0, and would actually technically "double" the chance of failure, as the failure of one of the drives would cause the data on the other drive to become useless.

Now, RAID 1 (mirroring) would give you the redundancy you would come to expect to have, however then you would only have 500GB of space.

Why isn't it supported?
I don't know. The qualifications are a single spindle.

RAID 1 seems of limited importance in a situation where the drive typically isn't doing any write operations. It isn't like the DIRECTV eSATAs that is always buffering something (guide data at least).

I don't know. The qualifications are a single spindle.

RAID 1 seems of limited importance in a situation where the drive typically isn't doing any write operations. It isn't like the DIRECTV eSATAs that is always buffering something (guide data at least).

Ok. I can see where its not officially supported, but I think it would technically work. I used to put hardware RAID 1 ( or 0 or 5 ) under all kinds of operating systems and the OS only saw a single drive. That being said, I don't really care enough to even add a single drive to my DVR. :D I was just curious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts