Dish Vs. AT&T Uverse (Fiber Optics)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigdog5142

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Orion, MI
Hey! This may be in the wrong forum...if it is, I'm sorry. But...I'm wondering if I can get some advice about the new fiber optic technology that is now bringing TV signals to homes via the internet. (At least I think that's what AT&T is offering.) The cost is roughly the same as Dish in my area and I'd get all of the movie channels for free for a year. The downside is that while the HD subscription is only $10 per month, they only have about half of the channels that Dish has. I'd lose all of my Voom and I'd lose about half of the other HD's. That's what's keeping me at Dish. I understand you can get out of your contract since you're staying with AT&T...it comes with a DVR that can record up to FOUR shows at once. They install a wireless router in your house (I already have one, though) and you can access that DVR over the internet or via an AT&T wireless phone in order to program recordings. It also comes with up to three other HD ready receivers if needed. I wouldn't be able to view recorded programs in my bedroom anymore, either.

I'd just like to hear if there's any other advantages that I don't know about....Thanks for looking & for your time!

Thanks for directing me to that...I guess it's not for me at this time. Not being able to watch 2 HD feeds at the same time sucks! I only have one HDTV, but I watch one HD program while recording another A LOT. That really helped me out...:)

with 3 HDTV's in the house, U-Verse just won't cut it. And, I'm already a Dish, and ATT customer, so changing would suck.

i had uverse and didn't like it. one hd stream, worse hd quality, crappy M$ box, and plenty more issues.

I have had the chance to play with the U-Verse platform. It is very very robust. Programing and picture quality is on the level of other service offerings in my opinion however the features you get with U-Verse in my opinion push it over the top. The nice thing about an IPTV platform is that in order to add features you need but to update software. Having an IPTV platform also allows for an unlimited number of channels to the customers.

They are working on 2HD and 2SD streams per house. Coming soon.

Also on a side note FIOS is soon going to be changing to IPTV.... Now that AT&T has most of the bugs out its looking like this will be the future for phone companies and your cable companies.

I have had the chance to play with the U-Verse platform. It is very very robust. Programing and picture quality is on the level of other service offerings in my opinion however the features you get with U-Verse in my opinion push it over the top. The nice thing about an IPTV platform is that in order to add features you need but to update software. Having an IPTV platform also allows for an unlimited number of channels to the customers.

Great. That lags behind.

I can currently record 4 HD streams simultaneously while tuning in and watching a 5th one.

How is 2HD + 2SD streams (as you put it) over the top in comparison to what I can do now?

I love the increase in bandwidth that theoretically comes with FIOS; but that's it.

The other limitations are pretty significant.

Cheers,

Also on a side note FIOS is soon going to be changing to IPTV.... Now that AT&T has most of the bugs out its looking like this will be the future for phone companies and your cable companies.

What? Everything in the press and postings on various boards is pretty clear that Uverse still has bugs and has been over budget, late, and a huge disappointment for AT&T. Ironically it is the Dish Network service they provide to their (AT&T) customers that has been, relatively, robust. And now the very strong rumors from multiple sources that AT&T may be very close to finally buying Dish Network affirms that Uverse is a flop. Remember, the plan was for AT&T to launch Uverse, then dump the Dish partnership they have, taking their very own AT&T subs with them to the AT&T Universe of Uverse. If the parties can agree to a price, get ready to see Charlie ride off into the sunset (with billions in his purse) herding the newly re-formed Echostar sans Dish while we have to deal with the new AT&T/Dish attitude instead of folksy Ergan.

hey folks how is everyone? To clear things up if you didnt know already, At&t is not buying out dish. yes the partnership between att/dish is going to end, although is not going to impact dsh what so ever, in sales/gross/etc., the rumors of att and directv partnering is true. Which I truely do fill sorry for directv, due to the fact that, when they do partner up directv will be truely impacted in a neg. way. Att is set out to increase the amount of customer that they get, by convincing them that uverse is better than directv, and therefore stealing directv customers, and signing them up w/uverse like it was done to dish. Dish lost over 25,000 customer and the majority went to uverse so directv beware!

It is here, at least in IL where I live and just got hooked up. The whole home hd dvr is a great machine, I like it better than my old 622.

hey folks how is everyone? To clear things up if you didnt know already, At&t is not buying out dish. yes the partnership between att/dish is going to end, although is not going to impact dsh what so ever, in sales/gross/etc., the rumors of att and directv partnering is true. Which I truely do fill sorry for directv, due to the fact that, when they do partner up directv will be truely impacted in a neg. way. Att is set out to increase the amount of customer that they get, by convincing them that uverse is better than directv, and therefore stealing directv customers, and signing them up w/uverse like it was done to dish. Dish lost over 25,000 customer and the majority went to uverse so directv beware!

And the award for bringing a thread over a year old back to life goes to......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)