Dish Vs Direct Tv

EHDs on Dish are connected to the ACCOUNT, not the particular receiver in DTV. So if your main receiver goes down with Dish, your EHD will work with the replacement. Not so with DTV.

Sam,
I have had D and DTV, when available, for over 15 years, and continuously since 2003. Neither ever had everything I wanted. For now, it's not even close - it's Dish by a mile. Until DTV updates it interface and. speeds up it's operations, I will use Dish primarily I'm sure DTV could care less since I'm paying them anyway! I wish Dish had more tuners on the hopper, but there are plenty of ways to add tuners. There is nothing DTV does that comes close to Autohop, Sling, and a fully functional PIP. If you don't use any of the extras, I recommend Dish anyway because it has your channel, and their equipment is much more responsive to operator inputs. When you push a button on the Dish remote, something usually happens immediately. Not so much on DTV.

Reactions: Tampa8
Response is relative. If it the receiver goes through bouts of not responding to remote commands in increments of quarter minutes, then it is slow.

Yeah, thanks. Never a 15 second delay, but I can't push consecutive buttons and receive the intended result. I have to push a button, then wait up to 2 or 3 seconds (at most).

dish receivers are more repsonive from what i have seen

but it seems like direct has much more info/option in the guide

dish receivers are more repsonive from what i have seen

but it seems like direct has much more info/option in the guide

I looked at some screen shots and didn't see the difference. What is other info and options are there?

I looked at some screen shots and didn't see the difference. What is other info and options are there?
the program data is more extensive than when ihad dish
you can see other showings of the program
look at cast and anything they appear in
just seems more in depth

true, i usually have my phone hand with the imdb app

but the guide can make things easy

example. while watching the shootist, i went to cast, john wayne, and found a list of all his movies showing and scheduled to record the ones i wanted

Ever since I got Netflix... I stopped caring now if it was airing. That's why I personally prefer the imbd route.

EHDs on Dish are connected to the ACCOUNT, not the particular receiver in DTV. So if your main receiver goes down with Dish, your EHD will work with the replacement. Not so with DTV.

I had a EHD attached to a prior receiver. I had media from Dish on it including a number of shows my daughter had recorded and I backed up to the said EHD. When I upgraded my receiver to the hopper and attempted to watch the recordings, the drive was inaccessible. I had to reformat the drive to have the Hopper receiver recognize it. My daughter as you may have guessed, was extremely pi**ed off. By my experience and expectations the EHD was not connected to my account.

I had a EHD attached to a prior receiver. I had media from Dish on it including a number of shows my daughter had recorded and I backed up to the said EHD. When I upgraded my receiver to the hopper and attempted to watch the recordings, the drive was inaccessible. I had to reformat the drive to have the Hopper receiver recognize it. My daughter as you may have guessed, was extremely pi**ed off. By my experience and expectations the EHD was not connected to my account.
In this case, did you try and contact DIRT to send a hit and have the receivers recognized on the same account.

Ive had both Dish and Directv. Switched back and forth a couple of times.

On the plus side for Dish the hardware is far superior. I love the Hopper with Sling. It is so much more responsive than my HR-44. Plus the interface is way better also. I really like the ability to backup recordings to an EHD, and to backup timers to the remote control. A receiver goes down and you can restore everything to the new one without having to enter in all your timers manually. A really great feature.

The pluses for Directv are that the picture quality is slightly better than Dish. Not a lot, but I do see it every now and then. Also their systems can be mixed and matched which is nice for some people. For instance, you can have a Genie and an old HR22 or whatever else you have laying around. This is something that Dish doesn't really offer. Also Directv doesn't get into quite as many contract disputes as Dish does, so with Dish you're more likely to lose a channel.

Price wise they are fairly similar. My Dish bill is slightly lower. Maybe 10 dollars a month or so. Biggest thing is Directv doesn't offer HD free for life. Only for 2 years. For me I'm much happier with Dish. Hopefully it continues.

Also Directv doesn't get into quite as many contract disputes as Dish does, so with Dish you're more likely to lose a channel.
While this used to be the case, I've seen two local stations crawl warning messages to DIRECTV subscribers this year while DISH was down with one for about a day with the ABC affiliate (although that may not be settled yet).

Some of what is considered "common knowledge" may be more legend or wishful thinking than fact.

For me, I've seen some isolated incidences of comparatively poor PQ on DIRECTV. I was at a football party where Comcast, DIRECTV and DISH were represented and it wasn't easy to tell which was which (Comcast was most commonly picked out as their 720p channels seems to be consistently not very good).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)