Dish vs. directv external hard drive formats

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kaygirl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
South
I have Dish and an external hard drive full of recordings via Dish. I am switching to Directv because of AMC loss. My question: will the recordings on my external drive be playable on my Directv dvr? Thanks.

Yeah, as soon as you connect it will format. Directv is really different, your timers are stored on whatever drive you are using, and when you plug in the EHD (make sure HDDVR is off power) it shuts down the internal drive. So hook it up before you record anything or set timers. EHD is usually the first thing I do other than SW update.

Yepp. And I agree it is an odd choice. Directv has never officially supported EHD, like Dish, but it's been working well for awhile.

Your timers and other things IIRC, are stored on the HDD, so whichever you are using when you set things up, is where they will be. That drive is also locked to that DVR, so if the DVR dies, you lose your recordings. I kinda wish they'd start supporting external storage.

Yepp. And I agree it is an odd choice. Directv has never officially supported EHD, like Dish, but it's been working well for awhile.

Your timers and other things IIRC, are stored on the HDD, so whichever you are using when you set things up, is where they will be. That drive is also locked to that DVR, so if the DVR dies, you lose your recordings. I kinda wish they'd start supporting external storage.
I have both providers, the only reason I have a EHDD on my HR24 is for the Olympics, it is much easier to archive with Dish as it is plug and play... :)

Yepp, Dish's implementation is much better overall. I'm not going to complain though, because I need as much space as possible sometimes, so at least Directv offers storage expansion. Some providers still don't. I'd never make it on a 320/500gig internal.

I think they do support it now, at least there is information on their website about it.

Ah, had not noticed.

IMO, the best thing about Dish's implementation is the archive part. The EHD is only used when you move stuff or watch, it's not always running and buffering which means it should last longer. I always watched my shows off the EHD, moving them over after recording, because I figured the internal drive would crap first, and I'd not lose any of my shows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)