DISH -VS- VOOM - A Settlement has been reached!

[h=1]Charles Dolan May Take Stand Today in Voom Trial[/h] By: Mike Farrell 2012-09-28 09:21:00
Voomlaunch.jpg

Opening arguments could begin as early as this afternoon in Voom HD’s long-awaited breach of contract suit against Dish Network, with cable legend and Voom founder Charles Dolan slated to take the stand later today.

Voom sued EchoStar Communications (now Dish Network)in 2008 after the satellite giant dropped the HD network for failing to live up to spending requirements. Voom disputed EchoStar’s claims – it said it had exceeded the requirements of the contract -- and is seeking $2.5 billion in damages.

http://www.multichannel.com/news-article/charles-dolan-may-take-stand-today-voom-trial/139499

Scott Greczkowski said:
[h=1]Charles Dolan May Take Stand Today in Voom Trial[/h] By: Mike Farrell 2012-09-28 09:21:00

Opening arguments could begin as early as this afternoon in Voom HD’s long-awaited breach of contract suit against Dish Network, with cable legend and Voom founder Charles Dolan slated to take the stand later today.

Voom sued EchoStar Communications (now Dish Network)in 2008 after the satellite giant dropped the HD network for failing to live up to spending requirements. Voom disputed EchoStar’s claims – it said it had exceeded the requirements of the contract -- and is seeking $2.5 billion in damages.

http://www.multichannel.com/news-article/charles-dolan-may-take-stand-today-voom-trial/139499

Great picture Scott!
How cool to see Voom behind the scenes.
Any possibility of seeing a Voom resurrection
When all is said and done??

I for one would love to see some of those
Channels resurface.

What's your take?

I don't think we will see VOOM back. Its not a viable operation. If people really wanted VOOM it would still exist today on other platforms.

I predict that VOOM will be back. It will have all the old channels plus Fearnet and the superstations in HD and will be available on Windows Phone 8 devices.

I predict that VOOM will be back. It will have all the old channels plus Fearnet and the superstations in HD and will be available on Windows Phone 8 devices.

Everything on this Could happen except the windows phone 8 devices. Heaven Forbid they offer some good apps!! Recently ditched my WP7 for an Android and in love with the app selection.

P.S. Shameless Plug, Satelliteguys DOES have an android app in the google play store!

Last edited:
Here is a good recap of todays court proceedings (click the link below to see it all)

A lawyer for AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) told a Manhattan jury that pay-television provider Dish Network Corp. (DISH) wrongfully ended their contract for high-definition programming, leaving the network with “massive financial losses.”

Cablevision Systems Corp. (CVC), AMC’s former owner, sued Dish in 2008 over a now-defunct HD satellite-TV service called Voom, claiming Dish breached their 15-year contract to offer the service to its 14 million subscribers. AMC, formerly known as Rainbow Media, seeks $2.4 billion in damages from Englewood, Colorado-based Dish, which split off its EchoStar equipment and satellite service in 2008.

“My client, Rainbow Media HD, was wronged and betrayed by EchoStar, which backed out of a contract that lasted 15 years after two years and left my client with massive financial losses,” Orin Snyder, a lawyer for AMC, said today in his opening statement in New York State Supreme Court.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...dot-4-billion-from-dish-over-canceled-hd-deal

[h=1]Voom HD case between Dish, Cablevision kicks off[/h]

By Liana B. Baker

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:19pm EDT

(Reuters) - Dish Network is so "obsessed" with beating No. 1 satellite provider DirecTV that it schemed to get out of a pricey Cablevision contract when its larger rival began to offer more HD channels, an attorney for the cable company said on Friday.

In the opening arguments of a multibillion legal battle pitting Cablevision Systems Corp against Dish Network Corp in New York State Supreme Court, Cablevision attorney Orin Synder said Dish was "hell-bent" on getting out of a contract covering a high definition channel package offered by Voom HD, then a unit of Cablevision.

In the four-year-old lawsuit, Voom HD sued Dish Network for $2.4 billion in damages, alleging it violated a 15-year contract to carry HD programming, including channels devoted to Kung Fu and video games.

Dish, with fewer subscribers, was like "Burger King" to DirecTV's "McDonalds" and did whatever it could to get an edge on new subscribers, including breaking the contract with Cablevision, Snyder said.

"Why pay for Voom when you can get more established channels at no cost?" he added.

Read the rest at http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/28/us-dish-voomhd-idUSBRE88R1JO20120928

Dish, with fewer subscribers, was like "Burger King" to DirecTV's "McDonalds" and did whatever it could to get an edge on new subscribers, including breaking the contract with Cablevision, Snyder said.

Boy that seems like a very poor analogy.

Everyone knows that the whopper beats the big mac!:D

Directv should be offended comparing them to Mcdonalds.

Thanks for the reports Scott.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)