DISH -VS- VOOM - A Settlement has been reached!

AMC is playing the Friday the 13th Marathon and Halloween Marathon before and during Halloween. So you could indirectly say Monster HD is back but with commercials.

TMC has some oldies going, the 1959 version of "The hound of the Baskervilles" with Peter Cushing for instance....personally I prefer the 1939 version with the great
Basil Rathbone though....
I hope as All Hollows Eve approaches these channels air more of the classics. :popcorn

TMC has some oldies going, the 1959 version of "The hound of the Baskervilles" with Peter Cushing for instance....personally I prefer the 1939 version with the great
I hope as All Hollows Eve approaches these channels air more of the classics. :popcorn

Check out TCM's offerings on Halloween if you want classics.

TMC has some oldies going, the 1959 version of "The hound of the Baskervilles" with Peter Cushing for instance....personally I prefer the 1939 version with the greatBasil Rathbone though....

I prefer the 1978 comedy version with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore ;)

For sure TCM has some Horror goods on today & approaching Halloween. Vincent Price classics! AMC Fear Fest is great too. It's too bad the good Horror usually stops by November 1st. I hope someday an excellent Horror channel is available :). With good movies 365 days a year. ( without showing Fear Factor and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, crap like that :confused: )

How many were filmed in Cinemascope or any other format that could be transferred to HD? Bet your seeing them at the best you can get.
If the original 35 mm film elements still existed and were preservable, any 35movie could be transferred to HD.

I hope someday an excellent Horror channel is available :). With good movies 365 days a year. ( without showing Fear Factor and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, crap like that :confused: )

Wow, yeah that's a GREAT idea! I propose we call it: "MonstersHD", and it'll show nothing but horror movies, and they'll be enhanced to the BEST high def out there!
That would be FANTASTIC! I wish somebody would have thought of this years ago!!!

I'm ready to subscribe right now!!!

Sigh............

How many were filmed in Cinemascope or any other format that could be transferred to HD? Bet your seeing them at the best you can get.
Plenty of the movies shown on TCM have been shown in HD on other stations, or are available on Blu-ray. Just sticking with the earlier post I quoted, they'll be showing Frankenstein, The Wolfman, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, all of which have been released on BD.

Too often the great shows on TCM are shown on other channels in wide screen only for the titles and then switch to full-screen HD, and throw away the sides--pooh on them. Just because most so-called HD channels think we cannot handle having black bars, top and bottom?

When will TCM switch from up-converted, but good, SD to real HD on an HD channel? Anyone privy to this?

Preserve the aspect ratio and the definition--our cry.

-Ken

Too often the great shows on TCM are shown on other channels in wide screen only for the titles and then switch to full-screen HD, and throw away the sides--pooh on them. Just because most so-called HD channels think we cannot handle having black bars, top and bottom?

When will TCM switch from up-converted, but good, SD to real HD on an HD channel? Anyone privy to this?

Preserve the aspect ratio and the definition--our cry.
-Ken
Trying to make sense of what you are saying. Watched a couple of full screen Dracula (Hammer) movies today. Full screen, and as close to HD as I've ever seen. What's your point?

Last edited:
Many modern movies are made in the 16:9 (1.78) aspect ratio to accommodate future use on TV and certainly all new TV shows.

It looks like you have not seen what many channels do to Cinemascope and like recordings with aspect ratios of say 2.35 (2.0 to 3+) to show them on the 1.78 ratio screen that is your 16 by 9 TV. They choose to crop the sides and you lose part of the picture or stretch it vertically and you get tall people or correctly letterbox it. Some even crop the letterbox to SD size or in reverse order and you get the window box--black bands on 4 sides. Yes cropping is done on AMC.

-Ken

I just feel the need to remind people that you can go to your local Wal-Mart in the late night hours and see all the Monsters you want to see and it's in real life HD and 3D. I've the following in my lifetime when going for last call beer runs.

rofllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the good old days :D :)

Trying to make sense of what you are saying. Watched a couple of full screen Dracula (Hammer) movies today. Full screen, and as close to HD as I've ever seen. What's your point?
I recorded Dracula Has Risen From the Grave yesterday. According to IMDB, it was shot in 1.85:1 aspect ratio, which is how it looked on TCM HD, with very thin black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

It was not shown in HD, however. There was little detail to the picture, and clearly an upconvert, just like the rest of their material. This is unfortunate, considering how rich their library is. Maybe, someday, we'll see actual HD content from them, but we're not getting it today.

I recorded some other Hammer films in HD on one of the movie channels a couple of years ago. They looked rich, vibrant, and clearly detailed, in stark contrast to yesterday's Dracula movie.

Wow, yeah that's a GREAT idea! I propose we call it: "MonstersHD", and it'll show nothing but horror movies, and they'll be enhanced to the BEST high def out there!
That would be FANTASTIC! I wish somebody would have thought of this years ago!!!

I'm ready to subscribe right now!!!

Sigh............

Oh, I'm SO sorry to offend you. I guess if it boosts your self esteem by being rude then go ahead, please make your comments. I'm SURE you're super awesome in person. There's a lot really cool people on these forums, I guess there's always at least one jackass in every group.

Oh, I'm SO sorry to offend you. I guess if it boosts your self esteem by being rude then go ahead, please make your comments. I'm SURE you're super awesome in person. There's a lot really cool people on these forums, I guess there's always at least one jackass in every group.
Primestar was just being facetious with you, and rude in no way. The old Voom/MonstersHD WAS exactly what you are describing you would like to see...though I'm sure you would not have liked the constant repeats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)