Dish w/local channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcavaiani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
WI
At my camper, have round dish now but no local channels. Which dish is needed to include locals (Green BAY,wi). Anyone have one to buy?

Green Bay sd locals are on 119. You need at least a Phase III dish to receive them.

If your service address isn't green bay, then you won't get the locals anyway. Locals are deliverd by spotbeams pointed at specific cities, once you move outside the spotbeam you can't get the locals. And Directv will only allow you to change your service address a couple of times a year.

Yes as mentioned above, you have to be located within the zipcode of your service address to receive the local channels.

Yes as mentioned above, you have to be located within the zipcode of your service address to receive the local channels.

You mean physically within the zipcode? Not even close. SD spot beams vary, but many are hundreds of miles across.

sorry but you're wrong. I am a "mover" and the address I have on file with D* is in a different market but within the spotbeam

The spotbeams on 119 are HUGE! He probably could get Green Bay SD locals in most of Wisconsin

Isn't this one an HD capable as well??

The dish your using doesnt get the 99 or 103 Sats, those are where the current HD signals come from.

Back in the day, yes, they had HD on the 101, but its ben a long time.

As for the other question floating in here, as mentioned, you dont need to be in the zip, but you do need to be in the Spotbeam for the city locals you are wanting, the SD beam was much larger than ty HD one is for most markets.

I suggest checking the Signal Strength in the area youll be in for your locals and see if you are getting a high enough one there.

IIRC, the hd channels were on the 110 satellite before 99 and 103 were launched.

DIRECTV 5 SATELLITE LNB SL5K4NR1 HDTV SLIMLINE 93, 99, 101, 110, 119 SATELLITES - This one? I don't see 103 though.

Am I right to assume that the mounting gear (mast,holes, etc.) from my original round dish will NOT be compatible with either of the local-capable dish types (the KTI/Slimline) ?

Correct. The mast is larger and the footprint of the mount is bigger.

I'm still confused. The dish I just bought, a simple phase 3, says that you may be able to get HD for the local channels - if they so broadcast it on channel 119. Does that make sense? So, if I have a 'regular' receiver, a HD TV, this phase 3 dish, and I tune in a local Green Bay channel, will I then get the HD quality?

No. The hd channels are all on 99 and 103 now. They used to be on 110, but no more. The Phase III dish cannot get hd channels anymore.

This is what was in the current Ebay description - "You can receive HD local programming if your local channel is broadcasted from one of DIRECTV's satellites located at 101, 110, 119 orbital locations."

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)