Dish Wake the HELL UP!

Ok, Im sure I have messed this up some where, but digi feel free to check my work and tell me were im wrong :).. I dont know everything But this is what I have.

This is what could be added if I calculated everything right....

TP 1 has Nothing on it! 6 HD channels there
Tp 2 is Full of national hd
Tp 3 has 4 channels on it Add two with new encoders
TP 4 Is empty
TP 5 Is full with Voom HD
Tp 6 is full of internationals that should be moved over to 118.7 This would add 6 new HD channels
TP 7 Has 3 HD hd Channels on it (voom) Add 3 With New encoders
TP 8 Full of PI and nothing can be added here
TP 9 has 4 channels on it Add two with new encoders
TP 10 is full of internationals that should be moved over to 118.7 This would add 6 new HD channels
TP 11 Has 2 HD hd Channels on it NHL and Big 10 Add 4 With New encoders
Tp 12 is full of internationals that should be moved over to 118.7 This would add 6 new HD channels
Tp 13 Full of PI and international nothing can be added here, but the internationals can be moved and
possably the pI could be consolidated on to one tp
TP 14 More Internattional channels, and EPG programming guide info 5 new HD channels if the EPG info stays and INt program is
moved.
Tp 15 has 4 channels on it Add two with new encoders
TP 16 is full of internationals that should be moved over to 118.7 This would add 6 new HD channels
Tp 17 is Full of National HD
TP 18 is Empty
TP 19 has 4 channels on it Add two with new encoders
TP 20 is Full of National HD
TP 21 Wasted space on SD Channels. Move ECC, btv to 110 or 119. Arang to 118 and ditch the rest as they are PPV info channels
add 6 hd channels here
TP 22 Full of VOOM HD Nothing to add here
TP 23 Sky Ang.
TP 24 Empty
TP 25 International channels.. MOve to 118.7
Tp 26 Empty
TP 27 Move Internationals to 118, Keep this as Qpsk for over flow of PI channels, epg guide data, and EPG programming data
TP 28 FULL HD RSN and NBA, NHL HD mirrors
TP 29 Sky Ang.
TP 30 Sky ANg.

Ok so with Existing hot TP's The total channels that can be added now with Mpeg 4 encoder swaps is.. 15 new HD channels Now we add the transpoders that
are not alive = 24 new HD channels, Now if they moved internationals over to 118 and killed the wasted tp.. add 41 new channels
IF we add all this up it equals out to 80 National HD channels or mixed in locals... This is without touching Sky angle. Now if you add them into the
equasion that equals more HD. This is under the assumption that all birds are healthy between Rainbow 1 and Echo 3 and all tps can be used between the two
even with the problems they have had.

TP 1 has 4 channels on it Add two with new encoders 15, Now we bring in the Transpoders that are sitting there empty..
TP 2 has two test channels, that could be used for new programming
Tp 3 has Nothing and is empty. 12.259 mhz. 6 new channels
Tp 4 has 4 channels on it add two wtih new encoders
Tp 5 is full with SD locals. Nothing can get added here
TP 6 is Full with HD
TP 7 has 4 channels on it Add two with new encoders
TP 8 is Full with HD RSN's
TP 9 has 4 channels on it Add two with new encoders
TP 10 has 4 channels on it Add two with new encoders
TP 11 Has 3 HD hd Channels on it (voom) Add 3 With New encoders
TP 12 has 4 channels on it Add two with new encoders
TP 13 has 4 channels on it Add two with new encoders
TP 14 is full with PI and Locals. Nothing can get added here
TP 15 has 4 channels on it Add two with new encoders
TP 16 is full on national hd
TP 17 is Empty 12.501mhz 6 New channels there
TP 18 is full with 6 voom hd channels
tp 19 is full with 6 Voom HD channels
Tp 20 Is Empty 12.589 Add 6 There
Tp 21 Is Full with 6 National HD channels
TP 22 is Full with 6 National HD Channels
TP 23 is Empty 12.661 Mhz add 6 there
Tp 24 is Full with SD locals
Total channels that could be added now = 18 on existing hot transpoders with a potental to add 28 more with empty transopnders
that are not hot! For a total of 46 new channels on a healthy bird over at 129. I dont know what transponders they can light
up or not.

Okay Bob, come in off the ledge. Find a bar that has the playoffs on in HD. Dish ain't gonna be rushed into TBS-HD by us.

And why did you leave out 129tp27?

This is under the assumption that all birds are healthy between Rainbow 1 and Echo 3 and all tps can be used between the two even with the problems they have had.

That would be a false one unfortunately. R1/E12 can't cover all transponders due to a design decision and E3 unable to operate on 4 transponders. I believe that between the two of there there are still two licensed transponders they can't cover.

Sat ND | Failures

129 goes up to 32 transponders. I know TP31 is not being used at all.

1) Remember then E* must give up many of the transponders at 129 to Canada in the near future. They could share those as spotbeam transponders, but they would be useless for national programming.

2) Echostar 5 simply doesn't have enough power to operate all transponders at 8PSK.

That would be a false one unfortunately. R1/E12 can't cover all transponders due to a design decision and E3 unable to operate on 4 transponders. I believe that between the two of there there are still two licensed transponders they can't cover.

Sat ND | Failures

Thats why i want digi to check over it.. I wasnt sure wich ones.. or how many...

1) Remember then E* must give up many of the transponders at 129 to Canada in the near future. They could share those as spotbeam transponders, but they would be useless for national programming.

2) Echostar 5 simply doesn't have enough power to operate all transponders at 8PSK.

Again, you're correct. :up

A LOT of those 129 transponders are being used for HD and SD LIL. Like you say, those TP freqs can be re-used and those channels could be fit onto a couple of transponders. As far as I can tell, only about seven of the other transponders are being used for national HD now. Assuming 32 transponders, and Dish only gets half, there should still be six or more transponders available to them. If Dish can negotiate with the Canadians for more than 16, then that would be better.

As far as the mythical 35% HD content threshold goes, it looks like USA HD would be a good addition for Dish subs.

Fast and the Furious is currently playing in 1080i HD on DirecTV and all of the Law and Order's, NBC repeats, House and Monk have the HD icon waiting next to them in the guide. Basically, it should as much or slightly more HD than TNT, but without the hideous stretch-o-vision.

Ok, Im sure I have messed this up some where, but digi feel free to check my work and tell me were im wrong :).. I dont know everything But this is what I have.

A few minor errors due to unhealthy birds. But that will require a LOT of work and will not happen overnight. We already know the schedule for the international moves.

Here's my posts from the pub a few weeks ago:

digiblur said:
Some more Pub content for the members....

I know several folks are wondering what Dish's response will be to DirecTV's HD offering. They will respond and they are responding right now.

You are probably asking, "how?" Take a look at the uplink report that was posted this morning. Notice the two MPEG4 HD channels added in the 5700 range? From what I'm hearing and what I've put together on the data, it would be safe to assume they are now working on upgrading the MPEG4 encoders on the HD LiL's to support 6 MPEG4 HD streams. I knew they would do this at one point, but didn't think it would be so soon. It does make perfect sense to do it though since the VOOM MPEG4 project is done. What does this mean to subscribers? Not mentioning 61.5, but let's take a look at 129.

9 HD LiL's there taking up 9 TP's. Each LiL has 4 HD streams.
9 X 4 = 36 HD streams.

36 streams / 6 HD's per TP = only 6 TP's required freeing up 3 TP's.

3 empty TPs X 6 = 18 slots for national HD.

Let's add the 6 slots on 129 TP 31. Now we are up to 24 HD slots. Don't forget about the 3 other slots on the half empty VOOM mux. Now we are up to 27 slots for national HD on 129. Do you think Charlie will use it to counter? Before anyone asks, this should not affect picture quality at all.

Of course this is all speculation, as DishNetwork ultimately holds the cards as what they are doing.

digiblur said:
Everything on 129 is ConUS. With the changes I mentioned above, no additional load would be put on the 129 hardware than what it is running now. I'm talking purely digital mux changes, not TP changes.

Talking about 61.5. There are only 4 LiL's there.

4 X 4 = 16 hd streams now.
16 streams / 6 on a TP = 3 TP's required with 2 slots free on one.

That would free up space for 8 HD slots.

Add the 6 from TP 20 and we are up to 14. Add the 3 from the half VOOM mux. That's 17. Add the 4 on the Big10, NHLN mux and that's 21. I'm not sure if they can due to the equipment on Echo3, but fire up TP 1 again and also puts you to 27 on 61.5.

Again...all speculation.

Well the first TBS HD game is now on, and its not on Dish.

Actually the 1st TBS HD game was on Monday night.

BTW, E* could do something that D* does, add TBS-HD just for the playoff's unless it's a contract issue and not capacity. D* has been putting the games on ch 95 for the MPEG2 folks so they're not left out.

As far as the piracy with the FTA boxes, that's just Dish's half-ass ways of going about correcting the problem. It would cost them too much money to upgrade Niagravision2 to go with something else, instead it's easier to put the blame on someone else IMHO.

I can't believe I missed this. I get to watch the Red Sox in crappy SD on NESN all year long. Thanks Dish:mad: Now the playoffs start, and I get to watch the Sox in crappy SD. Thanks again Dish:mad: Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread. Why the hell are the playoffs on TBS? You would think MLB would want them on an HD station that's available to most of the fans. Great way to showcase the Playoffs. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)