Dish Wally Is JUNK

pontiac 1933

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
Kansas
I ordered a Dish Wally last week and received it yesterday (1-8). Installed it and had it activated. That went fairly well I would guess. However, it didn't do all the things that what showed in the user manual. The receiver started up before requiring signal was finish. Didn't get the guide also. After some pushing remote buttons, did get the TV viewing. The remote pairing to Wally receiver and to the TV never did work. Could get the remote to turn on the TV, but it wouldn't turn off the TV. Called Dish and they wasn't in the mood to solve any of the problems. Kept telling me this Wally is made for motorhomes not for family room operation.
I would guess this is one for the dumpster, as I bought it from a dealer that sells motorhome parts and no return. $75.00 spent for a canoe boat anchor, and that probably wouldn't work also. The item didn't appear to be used, as it was in the original box and all the items was plastic sealed. Just one bad Wally dude.
Anyone have a better plan to solve the matter at hand?

Setup a tech appointment, the tech will fix all of that. Could be setup incorrectly or a bad wally.

As far as the remote did you try all the available codes? What brand TV is it? Sometimes the sensor on the TV can go out too.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Count me a skeptic to the whole new-generation deal, Hopper and all. I got out of dealing before it, and what I've seen of it doesn't impress. The remote control, just for one, seems a step backward from the ViP era, and the system's insistence on (hit or miss) self-installation to the exclusion of accepting installer commands is very offputting. The ViPs were "updated" with this "hands off" initiating software as well, to my disaffection. All I could figure is that they had gone so far into self-servicing and away from experienced onsite servicing that it made more sense for them to try to help some percentage of know-nothings to be able to get going than to have settings be accessible for an installing pro.

Having 2 Wallys, one in the living room and one in the bedroom, with zero problems other than a lightning strike over the past few years I'm surprised. However, I suspect you may have started hitting buttons on the remote before the Wally was fully done cycling through the activation process as it will reboot more than once and when you say it was activated was that with Dish via the phone? I'm also curious as to what your exact dish setup is and who aligned it. The Wallys are good, sound, reliable receivers so I suspect something else is going on.

Thanks to all for their worthy contributions here. I'll try to dwell into that problems that still exist on the Wally setup.
No. 1 I removed the coax cable from the VIP211K that is cabled to a Dish 1000.2 WA with a Slimline Hybrid Triple LNBF. Disconnected the HDMI cable, and removed the power cable from the wall outlet.
No. 2 Connected the Dish coax to the Wally, the HDMI and plug in the power cord to the wall outlet. Called Dish 1-800-333.DISH to have the Wally activated. During the setup process by the Wally, the Dish agent was having his daily problems trying to activate it and in doing so he activated a old 311 receiver and a 211 that I had discontinued ten years ago. I assured him I only wanted the VIP211K removed from being active on my account.
No. 3 Since there wasn't a user guide included with the Wally package, I had downloaded it from the Internet and printed out for my use. The Wally never did any of the setup process that was shown in the user guide. In fact, it never went into 'requiring signal" and downloading the guide. I had no chance to make the remote control pairing setup. I did later do the remote pairing to the VIZIO 505.09 TV, and didn't go as it should. The remote will turn on the TV, but it will not turn it off by the Wally remote. I have tried about 20 times to pair the remote to the Wally receiver with no luck there. I've followed the instruction in the user guide by pressing the "system" button and going that route, only to get a popup message that the HEVC 211 standby mode in 5 minutes unless I press a remote button.
No. 4 I called Dish three times. The first time the agent spent five minutes telling me the Wally Outdoors receiver was not meant for indoors but motor home use.
No. 5 A good guess is to place the removed VIP211K back in operation and box up the Walley.

I'll a follow-up here. My setup is. I have two dish antenna on one pole. It's a old C-Band pole in the back yard in four feet of concrete and a bull dozer would have to huff & puff to move it. On this pole is a Dish 1000.2 WA with a Slimline Hybrid triple LNB with the 129-probe covered. Down lower on the same pole is a Dish 500 with a single LNB that was aimed at Sat 129. My signals on most all 110, 119 was in the mid 70's and some upper 70's. Lower 60's on 129. Since Dish no longer uses the 129 sat. it has been disconnected from the 1000.2 dish.

The wally is definitely made for any account type. It's not just for outdoors. Idk why they insist on telling you that. By the sounds of it, it may be a bad wally. But if you setup a tech appointment dish will come replace it for free and make sure it's fully operational before they leave. Just leave the wally activated.

The wally is definitely made for any account type. It's not just for outdoors. Idk why they insist on telling you that. By the sounds of it, it may be a bad wally. But if you setup a tech appointment dish will come replace it for free and make sure it's fully operational before they leave. Just leave the wally activated.
He purchased the Wally from a motor home dealer so I doubt Dish will replace it for free.

Is there a way to reset this Wally to the point when it was in the box and not yet activated? This receiver keeps showing a message that it will go into a HEVC211 standby mode in 5 minutes. Is it referring to the VIP211 receiver that I had ten years ago and the Dish agent re-activated it by accident when he was trying to activate the Wally?
I still think the agent I called had something to do with this Wally not working properly when it was supposed to at the time it was trying to setup. Because, it never did what the User Guide shown. It went from being turn on to viewing TV programming.

Wonderful! Wonderful! Sucess at last. After many hours of trying to solve this problem on the Wally. I finally can say the Wally is working as it should. I made a reset, and it appears all is well. It required signal, guide and TV viewing. But, I still cannot get the Wally remote to pair with the Wally receiver. I fixed the remote, so it turns on the TV and turns it off.
Here is a message. I got from Bing by asking the question how to pair a Wally remote to a Wally receiver. Here is what I received.
1. Press either Home or Menu button twice, depending on your type of remote.
2. Select Settings.
3. Scroll to until you can select Remote Control.
4. Arrow to the device code. ( NOTE: I find no device code) you want for your TV or other device.
5. Choose the appropriate Pairing Wizard for your device.
6. Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the setup.

Question: Where in this setup can I locate the Wally Receiver to pair the remote. It only lists. DVD, Audio Receiver, and couple other devices, but, no listing of a Wally receiver.

Wonderful! Wonderful! Sucess at last. After many hours of trying to solve this problem on the Wally. I finally can say the Wally is working as it should. I made a reset, and it appears all is well. It required signal, guide and TV viewing. But, I still cannot get the Wally remote to pair with the Wally receiver. I fixed the remote, so it turns on the TV and turns it off.
Here is a message. I got from Bing by asking the question how to pair a Wally remote to a Wally receiver. Here is what I received.
1. Press either Home or Menu button twice, depending on your type of remote.
2. Select Settings.
3. Scroll to until you can select Remote Control.
4. Arrow to the device code. ( NOTE: I find no device code) you want for your TV or other device.
5. Choose the appropriate Pairing Wizard for your device.
6. Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the setup.

Question: Where in this setup can I locate the Wally Receiver to pair the remote. It only lists. DVD, Audio Receiver, and couple other devices, but, no listing of a Wally receiver.
Press the SystemInfo button on the Wally, then press the Satellite button on the 54 remote. You should hear 3 beeps and you are paired.

Press the SystemInfo button on the Wally, then press the Satellite button on the 54 remote. You should hear 3 beeps and you are paired.
That didn't work.
When I press System Info. button on Wally, I get a Dish Diagnostics screen. On the left side panel. It shows.
Receiver 1, Status, Settings, Tools, History, Network 2, and Dish 3.
On right side. Remote, Model 54.1, Hardware. SW6, Filmware. ED11T504EW59, Battery: Good (green), (Locate) and (Unpair) block.
And when I press the Sat button on the remote, I get "no beeps"

That didn't work.
When I press System Info. button on Wally, I get a Dish Diagnostics screen. On the left side panel. It shows.
Receiver 1, Status, Settings, Tools, History, Network 2, and Dish 3.
On right side. Remote, Model 54.1, Hardware. SW6, Filmware. ED11T504EW59, Battery: Good (green), (Locate) and (Unpair) block.
And when I press the Sat button on the remote, I get "no beeps"
The fact that you see unpair means that you are already paired. So, try this, press the Sat button on the left side of the remote. Now press 140. Did it change channels to ESPN? If so you are set up to talk to the Wally. Now, you said that you can turn the TV on and off. Did you have to press the TV button on the left side of the remote to do that? You shouldn't need to do that. It should always be in Sat mode. Let's see if while you are in Sat mode you are able to change channels and turn the Wally on and off. The we can go further.