DISH we lost our OK CBS but give us the OTA programming guide info!!

They gave notice as soon as they knew it would be down. It was in the guide, on the channel.
As far as acceptance, the use of the service is acceptance, and continued use is ratifiying that acceptance. You can sue them, but if they push back even slightly, you'll lose. The contract is well written to layout the expectations. There is no compensation that should be accepted as none of us pay for any specific local channel. Even with channels being removed, you recieve more than advertised, so no false advertisement(they do that on purpose). Also, in the contract and service agreement, it lays it out quite well that they reserve the right to remove channels, and that the customer agrees to no expectation to compensation.
Folks, before asking these question, please read the documents, and then if anything is still questioned, ask about it. I promise better results. Keep in mind, that whether you like or dislike what is in the agreement, and whether you agree or disagree currently with what's in the agreement, it is still the agreement that will be adhered to.

Scott, thanks for that notice, about the locals and possible separation. That is extraordinary news, and may be a giant step for what is needed. I really hope they separate it out per local. The down side i see is that when a channel goes down, the customer will automatically go to "I pay for that channel". If it is separated out, then Dish could cancel the channel and charge and say "no you don't".

On a side note, the need to protect local stations is over. I wish that regulation would just go away, and allow the opportunity for competing locals in outside markets. That would do more for consumers than anything. The stations have to offer something the customer is willing to buy otherwise the customer will get a better distant. Basically, less government interaction and control and truly create a free market. The locals can still keep their ad dollars and licensing through the FCC for OTA... but once you ask for money, you lose your protection from that provider.

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
For those thinking of going without locals, try it... I did it and even had the OTA adapter. I'll say this, PTAT can spoil you ! We ended up with plenty of missed recordings due to just one tuner.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
Scott, thanks for that notice, about the locals and possible separation. That is extraordinary news, and may be a giant step for what is needed. I really hope they separate it out per local. The down side i see is that when a channel goes down, the customer will automatically go to "I pay for that channel". If it is separated out, then Dish could cancel the channel and charge and say "no you don't".

Just for arguments sake, I'm on the Flex plan, so I do pay for the locals separately.
so in Dish's terms, what are locals?
and with PTAT its advertised as recording all shows on 4 networks; so at the moment I'm not getting that.

(I'm not suing, but would love a credit, or ?)

Which leads to another question; if/when the hopper OTA adapter comes out; I don't suppose it would support PTAT by itself will it?

If you have the Flex pack, locals are definitely optional.

The OTA module doesn't work with PTAT. You will get Autohop on shows though. Just have to have PTAT enabled.

You do pay for locals separately, and the Hopper is advertised of being capable of recording the 4 main channels with one tuner. Now, the question is do you have 2 or more locals, and does the Hopper still have the capability to record up to the 4 locals? That is why the service agreement is written the way it is.

When I can remove the locals from Welcome Pack, I will believe that.

You keep saying that, the Welcome Pack is based on getting locals, it's the lifeline package that Cable offers. I see it as if too expensive why not just drop service?
Why not online only for the handful of channels in the Welcome package if you are not going to get locals? I am betting if locals can be dropped it will be for every package except the Welcome pack, possibly also the Smart Pack. But it's an educated guess no way to know.

I couldn't resist

I added the bold parts, those that may most interest you.... or piss you off....

https://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/residential-agreement.pdf

I promise you, I'm not a customer of yours.

As far as agreements with Dish, I can't help with your lack of reading comprehension and I even highlighted the relevant parts. You don't have to physically sign a damn thing !! Isn't that clear ? This section

YOUR CONTINUED RECEIPT OF SERVICES ... SHALL CONSTITUTE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH CHANGED AGREEMENT

doesn't require a lawyer to understand.
I see posters who argue differently from time to time maybe this will help clear it up. :)

I'm betting that as the price of the locals keeps going up , that DISH will realign the Welcome and Smart pack so that they too can have the locals added to it or taken off to save money. The re-transmission fees from local channels and national ABC /CBS/NBC/Fox channels too, are pushing the price too high and it is effecting the total price of the programming packs we have. Thus the FLEX Pack was born with add on packs. The local channels are becoming as much of a burden as sports channels have been all along. They all add to the inflation in the prices of the programming packs.

I found old tax records from 2001 in the closet , that I was going through last night to burn in my fire place to get rid of sensitive social security numbers and old tax filings. I found old DISH bills that listed America's Everything pack for $69.99. Also had East /West coast / 5 Superstations pack for like $12.00. WE didn't have our locals yet back then. But still that shows you how much the price of programming has continued to rise compared to 2017 prices. Yes, I know that have added new channels that didn't exist yet, but obviously the price for this same AEP pack now is like $139.99 a month. That is like doubled in price. This is too high for most average customer to have in their house , not even counting the additional receiver fees. The fee for additional receiver fee was $4.99 back in 2001, now I pay $36.00 a month to have the hopper 3 and three joeys.

As the price keeps going up for the fees , the locals, the sports channels, we can expect to see each one being sold in separate packs that you can add or take off you bill to save money and not just with the FLEX Pack. I bet we will soon see them for normal programming packs. I say that the FLEX pack should be the pack that all the top programming packs will use as their base and then the add on packs for locals, sports, rsns, kid , women centric, etc will be added on to it to get your bill as low as or as high as you want it. If you add too many packs that you will push your bill higher than say existing top 120/200/250, then you will be pushed to except those instead of the combo packs ,in order to save money.

I see the Smart Pack going away now that the Flex Pack is available. The Welcome Pack may remain as Dish's bare-bones package that still offers locals.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I found old DISH bills that listed America's Everything pack for $69.99. Also had East /West coast / 5 Superstations pack for like $12.00. WE didn't have our locals yet back then. But still that shows you how much the price of programming has continued to rise compared to 2017 prices. Yes, I know that have added new channels that didn't exist yet, but obviously the price for this same AEP pack now is like $139.99 a month. That is like doubled in price. This is too high for most average customer to have in their house , not even counting the additional receiver fees. The fee for additional receiver fee was $4.99 back in 2001, now I pay $36.00 a month to have the hopper 3 and three joeys.

Sorry, but I don't think your numbers really make your point very well. For one thing, if you were paying $69.99 for the AE pack back then, the actual price was probably $99.99. You've made it clear many times in this forum that you negotiate a better price and don't pay going rates. Also, if an additional receiver fee was $4.99 back then, how much would it have cost to have a total of four DVR capable receivers in your house. And, even if you had, they wouldn't have had the multiple tuner capability of today's Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys.

I'm not arguing that prices haven't increased, but you have to put it into perspective of the cost of everything else. In 2001, many households only had landline phone service at about $25 per month. Nowadays, a family of four can easily pay $150 to $200 per month for phone service. What did a t-bone or a package of hamburger cost then?

For one thing, if you were paying $69.99 for the AE pack back then, the actual price was probably $99.99. You've made it clear many times in this forum that you negotiate a better price and don't pay going rates.
First off, you realize that Dish raises prices every year ? The date and amount he indicated works out to a little over a $4/year increase.

Second, he said the price was listed as $69.99, not what he was paying in the end. The standard rate is always listed on the bill, whether you get credits or discounts. Those are listed further down in the bill.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I don't come here very often (and some would like that) since i got out of the business. I really came here to find out the latest on losing my local channels. I am getting old and find myself asking , how many of these posters are really Dish or DTV employees. I am sure CHARLIE would send his ppl a BONUS. Maybe a extra PPV coupon per year. They are easy to find just look for the ones usually on the side of DISH or DTV.

First off, you realize that Dish raises prices every year ? The date and amount he indicated works out to a little over a $4/year increase.

Second, he said the price was listed as $69.99, not what he was paying in the end. The standard rate is always listed on the bill, whether you get credits or discounts. Those are listed further down in the bill.

First off, you realize I was being tongue in cheek with that comment.

A good portion of us are ex employees, retailers, former retailers, or have just been excited about a service we believe in. Your assessment only describes the simplest thinking possible, excusing that there are Dish employees on here, that are high ranking officials. Vivek Khemka to name one. Also, if I am not mistaken, Bernie Han has visited a couple times as well. The names in red are the Dish's internet Support Team(DIRT) and are employees.

Nope but the government gives them a license to broadcast from the public airwaves.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
Not exactly. Stations PAY the government for the license. Not only yearly, but they also paid the previous owners (who had paid the previous owners, etc). The airwaves aren't free to the broadcaster anymore than your house is free to you.

Take me off of your suspicious list, just in case - I'm not an employee. The only ties I have to Dish is as a customer.

Sorry to disappoint you but you are not at the TOP of my List. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)