Dish web site and iMunizator "scareware"

TalonDancer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
I was checking the online Program Guide on the Dish web site when a window popped up warning me that I had a problem with my "cookies" and suggested that I download some software to fix them from iMunizator.com.

Yeah right. I'm going to download software to "scan" for problems on my Mac from a company I've never heard of. A quick Google search shows this to be "scare ware" which tries to scare you into purchasing useless software :mad:

I posted this here because in my extensive web surfing the only site that pops this junk up is Dish's own web site:(

Be careful.
Talon Dancer

p.s. this is repeatable on another Mac.

This isn't actually Dish's fault. The program guides are a separate site from a company called Zap2It (TV Listings and Movie guide: Zap2it.com TV Listings). I'd definitely shoot an email to them (and copy someone at Dish) complaining about it.
My warning is to people using the Dish web site's online programing guides, regardless of the exact provenience of the "scare ware" link.

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
It's totally coming from zap2it and not Dish. If you look at the address bar, you're no longer on the Dish web site when the program guide comes up. After you select your programming package and your zip code you're forwarded to the zap2it web site, even though it has the Dish graphic at the top of the page. I have a Mac as well, and I do not get anything about iMunizator when I look at the program guide via the Dish web site. However, if I go directly to the zap2it.com web site and try to bring up any program guide there I do get the iMunizator crap.

Titantv.com is a better source for Dish programming than Zap2it. Zap2it lists a lot of programming with an "HD" label that is not available via Dish in HD. Put another way, Zap2it list HD programs on SD channels. Titantv does not put HD labels on SD programs telecast on HD channels so you know how to set recording preferences.

New HD channels and old timers

What do I need to DiY?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)