What do I need to DiY?

howie14

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Eldersburg MD
Well, DiM to be precise.

I have a ViP211 with a DISH 500 pointed at 110/119 and a separate diah pointed to 61.5.

If I now wanted to "DISHitUP" and upgrade to a two TV setup-probably with DVR since I've heard bad things about the 222-what other hardware do I need? I don't particularly want to deal with an installer if I can avoid it.

You will need to purchase the equipment. Are you using a switch? or are you using a Dish Pro Plus Twin to add 61.5? We need a little of more info to see if you need additional equipment besides the receiver. You can run a check switch and post the results here. Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check Switch.

You can purchase the equipment at: The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

You will need to purchase the equipment. Are you using a switch? or are you using a Dish Pro Plus Twin to add 61.5? We need a little of more info to see if you need additional equipment besides the receiver. You can run a check switch and post the results here. Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check Switch.

You can purchase the equipment at: The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

It's a DPP Twin.

You're good to go then. All you need is an additional receiver, including the dual-tuner variety. Run another coax from the DPP twin to that 2nd receiver; the DPP twin already has 2 DPP output ports, and will switch all of your input sats to any of 4 tuners.

Interestingly, I cannot self install unless I buy a receiver because DISH insists on an install since I'm going from a one line to two line receiver.

They won't ship a receiver directly to me.

When I upgraded from 942 to 622, I already had everything needed to just hook up the 622 but Dish insisted on an install. I said, OK, hurry up. The tech arrived with the 622, looked at my setup, hooked up the 622 and called in to authorize it and thanked me for the easiest install he ever did. I did not have to buy the receiver but I did have to let Dish schedule an install to put it in.

Some people don't like strangers drilling holes in their house and whatnot. Or taking a day off from work hoping the installer will show up.

C-band, Directv, and Dish all installed by myself at one point. C-band was a 3 day job :eek:

Yep, us DIY'ers are a funny bunch ;)

Some people don't like strangers drilling holes in their house and whatnot. Or taking a day off from work hoping the installer will show up.

C-band, Directv, and Dish all installed by myself at one point. C-band was a 3 day job :eek:

Yep, us DIY'ers are a funny bunch ;)

I don't have your experience, but I have installed another mini-dish system myself. On my DISH install, I hated waiting all day and then having the kid installer show up, talk on the phone constantly, then give me composite cables for a 211 and say that was the standard install. He then had to comeback two weeks later and reset the 61.5 dish.

I wish I could have talked my wife into the DVR/two room option at the time, but she was counting every penny and I couldn't budge her then.

She now thinks it would be a plus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)