Dish WiFi Connector

DanME

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Is anyone using the Dish WiFi connector with a 722 receiver? Does is work okay? Any issues?

The wireless adapter makes it so there is no need for an ethernet cable to be run to your receiver (granted you have a wireless router). It doesn't let the receiver access regular internet pages, but allows the receiver to access some content only available if the receiver has a broadband connection.

Netgear 802.11N model WNDA -3100v2 is the model number we support.

I have 3 of these on my 722K's, works great.

Setup was a breeze.

My only issue is going to be the ATT U-Verse 250GB/Mo Cap (potentially).

The wireless adapter makes it so there is no need for an ethernet cable to be run to your receiver (granted you have a wireless router). It doesn't let the receiver access regular internet pages, but allows the receiver to access some content only available if the receiver has a broadband connection.

Netgear 802.11N model WNDA -3100v2 is the model number we support.

What advantage do you get by being connected to broadband? Is there a link to the correct adapter?

I know it was stated that it will not work with the 211, but will this work with the VIP222k?

I have a 722 receiver and I'm thinking of getting the sling box to be able to access my programing via the internet on an iPAD. The only way to connect my 722 to my router is via a wireless connection since they are on different floors of the house.

That was why I asked the original question.

What advantage do you get by being connected to broadband? Is there a link to the correct adapter?

There are a few advantages. If you have a 622 family, you get access to IPVOD. When receivers are connected, the send us status reports regarding overall health of receiver, signal issues, etc. At dish.com the following link should take you to the page (you'll have to sign in, it can be found under the "Order from Store" option).

https://customersupport.dishnetwork...gement/prepOrderContent.do?connector=wifipage

I know it was stated that it will not work with the 211, but will this work with the VIP222k?

Yes

I use one on a 622...no issues. It does lose connection to my router every now and then, and I get a yellow triangle on the screen, but it's easy to reset. This is probably an issue with my router.

I have a 722 receiver and I'm thinking of getting the sling box to be able to access my programing via the internet on an iPAD. The only way to connect my 722 to my router is via a wireless connection since they are on different floors of the house.
That was why I asked the original question.
Actually Dan, there are several ways to accomplish a link in that situation.
The BB Powerline Connector is another way to connect .. inside these receivers
211, 211k, 222, 222k, 612, 622, 722, 722k, and 922.
is the ability to use the power connector and electric lines in your house to get back to a module you would plug in near your router and then you'd plug an ethernet cable from your router to the power module. This is like those adapters you can use to send telephone signals over AC wiring.. only for high speed (10meg +?)

Another way, using wireless ... is to add a wireless router as a bridge to your current one. This would turn the ports on the back of the new router, into a "bridged switch" ...
say you have three devices at your TV that need internet .. a Bluray player, your new internet connected TV, the 722/k receiver, and me, I have an Onkyo AV receiver that I can connect to the internet and stream online stations too..

When doing the bridged wireless this way, you have the cost of the added router (newegg has a really good buffalo 300N for 40 bucks) and this replaces buying three or more dongles..

like, one for the 722 - $25 ..
one for your TV maybe $30
one for the bluray .. another 25 to 50 dollars?

or for 40 dollars you buy a router that you re-configure and it gives you 4 or 5 ethernet ports ...​
Personally .. I went this way .. though I added two wireless routers... and have my computers on one wireless network through my main wireless router/firewall at my cable modem, and the connected peripherals go onto a seperate network with the two new wireless routers.

Everything is in the same IP block (range), so it kept that part simple, also allows my AV Receiver to see my windows boxes as media servers .. so I can stream to the AV Receiver from Itunes, Windows Media Player, or Winamp ... on any of my win pc's.

The cost increased because I bought two routers... but it also allowed me to have zero network problems when using PC's and sling adapters at the same time.. I've been able to push 8 megs on video, and 20 megs for file transfers on the "connecteds" network, at the same time while downloading to a laptop on the PC network .. no speed problems, no wireless networking issues, plus the experience of working it out..

I have done the same thing more or less. I have a wireless print servèr I am repurposing to connect to computers and a ²¹¹ and a wired switch with the 922 and Logitech revue to a wire I ran a year ago for just the 922. Wifi not strong there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)