dish500

C-band & Ku band

I thought a BUD was something like a 5+ foot diameter dish. Please quantify BUD for me.

BUD stands for big ugly dish. Usually for C-band it's 8 ft or larger. The Ku is usually .8 meter or above. Both of these are linear polarity signals. Where as the DBS/FSS (Dish Net) are circular pol signals at different frequencies of the KU band. These DBS/FSS are higher powered sats than the C-band Ku band "BUD" dishes.

Last edited:
That's what the input port is for - another satellite.

And port 4 will only work with a Dishpro LNB.

Upon doing a little investigation it seems I could also connect an OTA antenna to it.... is this correct?
Absolutely not. What led you to think that? Not that it's unfathomable, and it could make some things a bit simpler if the switch had an integrated diplexer, but it doesn't follow from what you've been told. Seriously, what was the source? The answers you've gotten here have been correct.

sorry for the confusion... just a misunderstanding.... I forgot that with satellite guys 'antenna' means the dish.

A dish is a type of antenna, but "OTA antenna," in whatever form, is used specifically for reception of Over The Air terrestrial television broadcasts.

You can connect another dish (satellite antenna) with a DP LNB to pick up a 4th Dish satellite slot.

You can not connect an OTA antenna to that input. If you need the sat and OTA feeds to share coax, you must combine them on the switch's receiver output using a diplexer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts