DishAnywhere on Mac OSX causing high CPU demand

monymony

Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Hello All,

I have noticed on both my Macs, one running OSX 10.11 and the other 10.10, that the DishAnywhere plugin his heavily bogging down the processor. I cannot figure out why. Is there any issues with the app or some other tweaks to avoid this as it causing the rest of the machine to become very sluggish.

Thanks!

upload_2016-5-3_14-56-12.png

Yup. They're pretty greedy on a MacPro 1.28GHz 8 Core, OSX 10.10.5b3. I saw two "helper apps" also trading places with the main app and they were taking 100-200% at a time. At idle, nothing. BUT usually all media playing make the fans in my machine go nutz. Not with this nice and quiet.

Same here, I think they are just looping waiting for the previous process to finish vs setting an interrupt or even timer to see how far down the buffer they are. I notice that my MAC gets hot, and the the CPU's go to 99% but I also notice that the download is not constant, it loads for a few seconds, stops and then get another slug of data.

Before I got the Hopper 3 and 4K Joey, my favorite trick to show content recorded on the 722k in my Family Room was to use the DishAnywhere website on my MacBook Air and AirPlay the screen to the AppleTV in the Bedroom. But, as noted, this sucks down the CPU and battery plus kicks the fan in to keep the CPU temps which doesn't make for a very movie-friendly environment. I even cheated and used the Mac Mini downstairs since it had a dedicated NVIDIA GPU, but the player plug-in doesn't seem to be able to take advantage of that hardware to offload the CPU. At least the fan noise wasn't in the bedroom!

(Of course, now with the Hopper/Joey, I just pull up what I want to watch and Bam! No drama, it just plays!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)