DishHD + MythTV

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
I have been looking at MythTV for quite some time and I was wondering if anyone had it working with DishHD. I have seen some pc tuner cards with dvi in and was wondering if these would work to record hd. I want a dvr but I don't want to have to pay E* every month to use one and only have a limited amount of space. With a MythTV box if I run out of room I could just slap another hard drive in there and have more space. I already have an old computer I could use for this and I've looked at installing KnoppMyth which is an os with MythTV already installed.

Has anyone here used MythTV with DishHD?

There is a company that will mod a dish box to have firewire, you could use mythtv to record from that but the mod is so expensive you would be better off going with the dish dvr fees and all.

I was really wanting to use MythTV because it would be really cheap. I would have to buy a capture card and a big hard drive and that would be it. I already have everything else that I need. It might cost me about $100 and I'd never have to pay monthly fees for it.

Isn't the whole point of the modified Dish 622 or 211 receiver (which is NOT cheap) that you can't just connect a component video cable from a dish receiver to a PC and be able to record it to hard drive?

I researched this about a year ago and at that point there was only one capture card that was capable of capturing HD input and it costs in excess of $5K.

So as far as I know, you'll have to look at the R5000 or keep forking out the dough to dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts