Dish'n it up - upgrade to HD - cheapest way to do it

sfbayguy

Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi I am out of commitment (for nearly ~2 years), have SD AT120 and some international programming with DVR (DuoDVR 522). Currently I only have one TV set up. My old CRT died a couple of weeks back so upgraded to a HD plasma, got a 5.1 surround receiver and speaker set. I am looking at the best way to upgrade from SD to HD programming. I think getting the 722 would be the equipment of choice. In an online chat session rep told me that I would have to do a 24 mo commitment to get HD free forever and pay ~$90 for a tech visit to replace the receiver.

I want to know if/how can I get the upgraded equipment, without paying any additional cost for install and get the new subscriber 12 month price breaks since I am committing to a new 24 mo term. I have had to sink in a good chunk of change on the TV/Receiver/Speakers so trying to reduce costs where I can. Any advise is very much appreciated. First post on this forum, so please excuse any breach of forum etiquette.

I upgraded from SD to HD recently and everything was free with a new 2 year commitment. I got a receiver upgrade from a 522 to a 722k and got all the new customer promos (free Showtime, HD platinum previews, $20 monthly discount for a year, etc). The tech visit to swap out my receiver and dish was free. I got a different story via chat and phone so I'd say keep contacting DISH untill you get it all free. It made me a very happy DISH customer.

You have international and adding HD so you will need a 1000+ dish that will be basis for service tech being needed. Add the protection plan and the $90 will reduce to $15 plus the service plan. You want a 722K not a 722.

Getting HD

If you buy a new VIP 211K receiver from eBay or online for about $99, with your AT120 programming you should qualify for HD for Life if you sign up for paperless billing and autopay. And with owned equipment, there should not be any 24 month commitment. Regarding tech visit to upgrade your dish to 1000.4, you can sign up for Service plan at $6 month (6 month minimum), it should only cost you only $15. You can buy a 1TB hard drive (~$60) to use with your 211K and add that as DVR for a one time fee of $40. And there is no monthly DVR fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)