Dish'n It Up

burgerguys

Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I've been a Dish customer for a year, but I wanted to upgrade to a Hopper and Joey from my present HD DVR. Previously, Dish had told me it would be a $300.00 charge. I called today and there's a program called Dish'n It Up which allowed me to switch to a Hopper and Joey. Initially they wanted $50.00 for the equipment, but I asked (nicely) and they waived that. There was also going to be a $95.00 install charge (so rediculous!), but the agent said if I signed up for the protection plan at $7.00/month, they would waive the install charge AND I can cancel the protection plan after 4 months. There is an additional $4.00/month charge for the Hopper from my current HD DVR. I also had to renew my contract for 2 years (which is basically one year, since I'm only one year into my initial 2 year contract. BUT, the agent also said I can cancel at any time with a $10/remaining month charge. Combined with the rise in prices next month, my bill will increase (somewhat), but from everything I've read, I think it will be worth the extra cost.

Just wanted everyone to know that the Hopper upgrade is available for less than the $300/charge they've been quoting!

I've been a Dish customer for a year, but I wanted to upgrade to a Hopper and Joey from my present HD DVR. Previously, Dish had told me it would be a $300.00 charge. I called today and there's a program called Dish'n It Up which allowed me to switch to a Hopper and Joey. Initially they wanted $50.00 for the equipment, but I asked (nicely) and they waived that. There was also going to be a $95.00 install charge (so rediculous!), but the agent said if I signed up for the protection plan at $7.00/month, they would waive the install charge AND I can cancel the protection plan after 4 months. There is an additional $4.00/month charge for the Hopper from my current HD DVR. I also had to renew my contract for 2 years (which is basically one year, since I'm only one year into my initial 2 year contract. BUT, the agent also said I can cancel at any time with a $10/remaining month charge. Combined with the rise in prices next month, my bill will increase (somewhat), but from everything I've read, I think it will be worth the extra cost.

Just wanted everyone to know that the Hopper upgrade is available for less than the $300/charge they've been quoting!

The $50 fee sounds like a quote for the original Hopper. The $300 quotes are for the new Hopper with Sling models.

That cancelation fee price they quoted you was wrong. When you signed up the rate was $17.50 for every month left on your contract. If you do a Dish N It Up then you would be under a new 24 month contract and would be required to pay the new cancelation rate of $20 for every month left on your contract.

The fees they quoted to you for the upgrade sound accurate and I do not see while so many people feel that the $95 tech visit fee is such a joke. How does anyone make a living without getting paid to do a job?

That cancelation fee price they quoted you was wrong. When you signed up the rate was $17.50 for every month left on your contract. If you do a Dish N It Up then you would be under a new 24 month contract and would be required to pay the new cancelation rate of $20 for every month left on your contract.

The fees they quoted to you for the upgrade sound accurate and I do not see while so many people feel that the $95 tech visit fee is such a joke. How does anyone make a living without getting paid to do a job?

Dish really needs to switch this then http://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/DISHn-It-Up-Agreement.pdf?WT.svl=undefined
Prorated by multiplying $10 by the number of months remaining in your term commitment. Maximum cancellation fee is $240. 10 dollars a month.PNG

It does sound reasonable that a new agreement on a re-up would have a lower cancellation cost than a new install.

Finally got my Hopper/Joey installed today. The original installer did not have a Sling-less Hopper so I had to argue with Dish and reschedule the install. As someone mentioned above, the $50.00 fee was for the Hopper without the Sling. Dish waived the $50.00 fee and the install fee ($95.00) if I signed up for a new 2 year contract. The install took about 1.5 hours (one Hopper/one Joey) and at least 20-30 minutes of that was waiting for the software install/update on the Hopper. The paperwork I signed/received said there would be a $10/month charge (up to $240) if I cancelled my 2 year agreement.

The paperwork I signed/received said there would be a $10/month charge (up to $240) if I cancelled my 2 year agreement.

Just checked my PDF contract from Hopper install in November. Yep, only $10.00 ETF. Existing customer. Lots of postings about $20.00 lately. Maybe new customers? Again, and again...all depends on WHEN/status you sign.

Last edited:
Just checked my PDF contract from Hopper install in November. Yep, only $10.00 ETF. Existing customer. Lots of postings about $20.00 lately. Maybe new customers? Again, and again...all depends on WHEN/status you sign.

I though it was $20, use to be $17.50, for new contracts and dishnitup was $10.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

Here is a picture of the back of the newest Dish brochure that states the current cancelation fee. I just looked at a current Dish 'N It Up contract also and it states $10 per month for every month left on the contract.

Attachments

• cancelation fee.JPG
    cancelation fee.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 152

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)