Dishnet programming question from a D* Customer

icehole

Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Idaho
So after screwing with D* for another full season of numb3rs & them not getting my HR-20 to record a single episode & No resolution I have been thinking of making a switch to Dish Net..
There are only a couple things holding me up & They are simply programming in HD as we do not watch Non HD content anymore..

The Big ticket item I Cant find a solid answer to is FX in HD.. It appears that it is now available, But I Cant find what is required to get it.. Is it part of one of the Turbo HD Packages or does it require a SD programming package.. I find that the prices with SD programming are more then what I am paying now for D* and since I already have 2 HD-DVR's & Wont be able to record Numb3rs on DishNet either since they dropped CBS as well I need to save some $$ monthly to make up for the expence of buying HD DVR's from DishNet beyond what I Can sell my D* ones for (Yes they are owned as I got them while I was a D* employee)..

Any Insite would be helpfull as to what I need programming wise.. Also What is the Cheapest Dual Tuner HD DVR they currently have & I Understand that there is a HD reciever that I Can attach an external Hard drive to to make it a DVR..

So after screwing with D* for another full season of numb3rs & them not getting my HR-20 to record a single episode & No resolution I have been thinking of making a switch to Dish Net..
There are only a couple things holding me up & They are simply programming in HD as we do not watch Non HD content anymore..

The Big ticket item I Cant find a solid answer to is FX in HD.. It appears that it is now available, But I Cant find what is required to get it.. Is it part of one of the Turbo HD Packages or does it require a SD programming package.. I find that the prices with SD programming are more then what I am paying now for D* and since I already have 2 HD-DVR's & Wont be able to record Numb3rs on DishNet either since they dropped CBS as well I need to save some $$ monthly to make up for the expence of buying HD DVR's from DishNet beyond what I Can sell my D* ones for (Yes they are owned as I got them while I was a D* employee)..

Any Insite would be helpfull as to what I need programming wise.. Also What is the Cheapest Dual Tuner HD DVR they currently have & I Understand that there is a HD reciever that I Can attach an external Hard drive to to make it a DVR..

Not available in Turbo HD as of yet. You need the Classic Silver with the $10.00 HD add on.

I find that the prices with SD programming are more then what I am paying now for D* and since I already have 2 HD-DVR's & Wont be able to record Numb3rs on DishNet either since they dropped CBS as well I need to save some $$ monthly to make up for the expence of buying HD DVR's from DishNet beyond what I Can sell my D* ones for (Yes they are owned as I got them while I was a D* employee)..

As a new sub, you can get a VIP722 or 722K free, as well as the single tuner 211 which you can add a HD to for a DVR. Best to call Dishstore for questions and best deals. HD receivers 612/622/722 have one OTA tuner. With the the 722K, you can purchase an add-on dual tuner module.

FX HD is one of several HD channels not currently available in the all-HD Turbo packages. These channels require a SD Classic package with the $10 HD add-on. We heard from Team Summit that E* was going rectify this discrepancy, but that was a month ago and nothing has changed. FX HD would require Classic Silver with the HD-add-on. If you can wait before switching, I'd wait until we see whether E* makes good on getting the Turbo packages on an equal footing with the Classic packages. Most of us don't buy E* receivers, instead leasing. You get charged the same amount whether you own a receiver or lease it from E*. The first lease fee and DVR fee is included in the package cost with the DDA program which includes locals. In terms of HD receivers only the 211k and 222k are nonDVR receivers. The 211 is for a single HDTV but is only a single tuner receiver (1 sat, 1 OTA). It is the one that can be turned into a DVR by paying a one-time fee and adding an external hard drive. The 222 is a nonDVR dual tuner receiver that provides signals to one HDTV and one SDTV. The 612 is an dual tuner HDDVR for one TV. It has 2 sat tuners and 1 OTA tuner. The 622 and 722 are similar dual tuner HDDVRs with 2 sat tuners and 1 OTA tuner. When used in single user mode, they have a PiP function. The 722K is like the 722 but with 2 OTA tuners in addition to 2 sat tuners so you ca record 4 things at once. The 922 incorporating Sling technology and a new interface is due out sometime in the Fall. As a new sub you will likely get a 722k if you subscribe now, so you'll need another HD receiver or DVR for your second HDTV. You can run 2 HDTVs off the same HD receiver but they both have to see the same programming. You need a second receiver for independent viewing in HD.

Yes FX is in HD at least in the CLASSIC GOLD 250 package.
Dish has a VIP222k which does two TVs as the 222 implies, but I don't know if you can attach an external hard drive to the 222k I know that you can to the VIP211 which I have.
When you attach a external hard drive you have to pay $39.99 to activate it but you don't have to pay any monthly fee to use it as an DVR.
Also I think as a new customer all the installation and hard ware is no cost to you.
You could call the Dish store which advertises here on Satelliteguys and find out all you will need to know.
Also here is the Dish URL Satellite Television - DISH Network - 1.888.825.2557

After several Phone calls to E* sales I Finely got through to Adam in Dever Co who was able to actually tell me that FX HD Exist's on Dishnet.. Go Figure he was also the 1st one in the states..

ANyways Point of all that was the he said it is avail with the Classic Silver.. Also the point of wanting to buy the receivers is to avoid a pesky commitment & I detest anyone having me by my short hairs.. Apparently If I pay for the install & Go with no promotions there is no commitment & Leasing a 722k & 211 would cost me only 130 (including having the DVR activated on the 211) which is the way I Would go since there is a SD set in my daughters room that could be slaved off the 722 when the 2nd tuner wasnt being used in the living room (several nights a week we have 2 programs recording at once)..

In the end though its the same as I am paying now so there is no cost savings to justify the 130 a month upfront.. So we will see how long it takes until dish makes that part of the Turbo Package's

only getting one satelite

DISH NETWORK RECEIVER 322

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)