DISHNet receiver authentication

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CCarson

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 16, 2008
Why does Dishnet now require all receivers on an account to be re-registered at the same time a single receiver is added or updated? Thanks, Carson

I've four receivers. When I receive a call from DISH telling me I have to re-authenticate receiver 'X' shortly thereafter I lose the programming on that receiver. To get the programming back I have to re-authenticate all receivers because I'm told when one is re-authenticated Dish will disable all receivers and all four will have to be reset. It's a major pain because either I run all over the house or bring them together in one place. If never had Dish subject me to this inconvenience in all the years I've had DishNet. I can't get a comprehensible answer from Tech Support; in fact I'm led to believe they either have no answer or they want to mask the real reason.
All but one receiver is connected to a telco circuit and two of them also have internet access.
Carson

it's the equipment verification team/fraud prevention. they give you very little time to verify all receivers are at the same location
the 2 with internet access probably call out over the network while the other 2 call out over the phone
if they were all on the same phone or same ip, you probably wouldn't get a call

I'd like to know this for certain before I switch back to DishNet. Seems like corporate myopia to chance incurring ill will and losing an account. Why when I pay for four receivers (yes, they're collocated but I have to disturb two 95 year old relatives) in my $200/mo bill?
Do you know whether DirecTV subjects its clientele to the same inconvenience

I'd like to know this for certain before I switch back to DishNet. Seems like corporate myopia to chance incurring ill will and losing an account. Why when I pay for four receivers (yes, they're collocated but I have to disturb two 95 year old relatives) in my $200/mo bill?
Do you know whether DirecTV subjects its clientele to the same inconvenience

You're going to need to forewarn the two 95 year old relatives that you will have to disturb their surroundings for less than 10 minutes, to give Dish some information off the receivers.

Some warnings: You say they're all in the same place, and that's good, because they need to be. They will have you pull information from the receiver that is constantly (for some definition of "constantly") changing, so you will NOT be able to write all the info down then call. You will have to physically walk from one receiver to the next receiver and give the information they are providing. You will not be able to put the Dish employee on hold or set the phone down to make another call. Do not disconnect them from a TV to "bring them all to one place". They need to be connected to the power, to the antenna, and to a TV in order for you to give Dish the information they request.

Why is Dish doing this? They have some reason to believe that all the receivers are not in one place. They may well be wrong, that's why they are calling to check. The original agreement requires the customer to keep all the receivers at the same physical location, and Dish does reserve the right to do exactly what they're doing.

Do other companies do this? No idea. While you imply that Dish may lose your $200 a month, Dish may also be wondering if you should actually have two (or more) accounts to cover these receivers, and that they may be losing just as much per month from you.

I know most people here hate dealing with the EVT folks. The big picture is, if everybody was stealing service, it's going to cost someone, and Dish is going to pass that cost on to the customers. Imagine, in your town, there are people tapping into water lines, taking water they haven't paid for. That raises the cost to the water company, and they'll pass it on to you. Sort of similar, people who do that are taking money away from Dish.

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong. I have absolutely no idea or way to tell. Just trying to explain the how/why/who about this...

I had a call because of my four-Hopper setup, it wasn't that bad, but I certainly hope it's not going to become a routine thing.

Here is some food for thought. The true account stackers are smarter than the people doing the audits and never get caught.

The ones who do get caught, usually never agree to split a single account into 2 seperate accounts and therefore end up cancelling and going to Directv.

Or they get a ligitiment customer that they harrass to the point where they decide to cancel service.

The audit department probably costs Dish more subscribers than they hope to create, which is not good for a company that is bleeding subscribers already.

The true solution to account stacking is the Hopper, and put policies in place such as only allowing accounts with Arabic or Hindi programming only to be shown on the primary receiver unless all receivers are connected to the phone line or same internet connection.

put policies in place such as only allowing accounts with Arabic or Hindi programming only to be shown on the primary receiver unless all receivers are connected to the phone line or same internet connection.

So you are saying it is the ''International" customers that do the majority of account stacking and or hacking satellite service?

Glad you said it and not me because I would be considered a racist.

Here is some food for thought. The true account stackers are smarter than the people doing the audits and never get caught.

The ones who do get caught, usually never agree to split a single account into 2 seperate accounts and therefore end up cancelling and going to Directv.

Or they get a ligitiment customer that they harrass to the point where they decide to cancel service.

The audit department probably costs Dish more subscribers than they hope to create, which is not good for a company that is bleeding subscribers already.

The true solution to account stacking is the Hopper, and put policies in place such as only allowing accounts with Arabic or Hindi programming only to be shown on the primary receiver unless all receivers are connected to the phone line or same internet connection.

Just 3 observation.

1) you help set up a lot of account stacking knowingly to make yourself more money & your experience here is that most of them that you helped had international programming.

2) you deserved whatever dish did to you.

3) if dish starts putting restriction then why stop to international programming. It should be for all packages.

Just 3 observation.

1) you help set up a lot of account stacking knowingly to make yourself more money & your experience here is that most of them that you helped had international programming.

2) you deserved whatever dish did to you.

3) if dish starts putting restriction then why stop to international programming. It should be for all packages.

Ouch! lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)