Dishnetwork 622 with HANNspree Xv 32" LCD - Do I need QAM tuner?

ju421019

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a HANNspree Xv 32" Widescreen LCD HDTV to use as TV 2 and connect the coaxial cable running from the Dish 622 directly to it.

Right now TV 1 has the 622 receiver directly connected to it.

For TV 2 I am going to use the coaxial cable. My concern is the HANNspree Xv 32" Widescreen LCD HDTV does not have a QAM tuner.

Will that make a difference? Or would quality of the content be better with a QAM tuner for my TV 2 setup.

Thanks!

I am under the impression that QAM is used solely in CATV applications...So if true as I suspect it is a QAM tuner will make no difference when using Dish...

A lot of times even if you have internet only cable service you can still receive the digital QAMs that are unencrypted...

That being said...would I buy a TV without QAM. Nope. I'd love to have the option to plug in my local cable co when needed for local HD channels.

Admittedly I'm no techie....but isn't it important to note that buying an HDTV for TV2 is useless since it does output HD to TV2?

It is less than optimal, though it will still be a good picture.

You did forget the word "not" in between "does output", right ?? :D

Alright guys so basically I got a lot of responses which I appreciate it. My last two final questions:

1. So the bottom line is that QAM tuner is irrelevant for my TV 2 setup on my Dish 622that is connected via coaxial, Right?

2. Would you purchase a 37" LCD HDTV from Hannspree which has QAM for $700 or a $500 32" LCD HDTV from Hannspree for $500. Which would be better value in your opinion, especially resale down the line when I upgrade TVs, maybe in a year or so.

Thanks!

1. So the bottom line is that QAM tuner is irrelevant for my TV 2 setup on my Dish 622that is connected via coaxial, Right?
Is this the 3rd time ?? QAM has no use with (residential) Dish systems.
2. Would you purchase a 37" LCD HDTV from Hannspree which has QAM for $700 or a $500 32" LCD HDTV from Hannspree for $500. Which would be better value in your opinion, especially resale down the line when I upgrade TVs, maybe in a year or so.
First time I've ever heard anyone factor in "resale" value of a TV..... In a few years, I suspect most if not all TVs will include QAM tuners. The price of TVs with digital tuners will continue to drop. That said, I don't think most people will care if it has a QAM tuner or not.

To be honest, you're very hung up on this QAM tuner. Why ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)