DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 4/9/2008 1:00pm - 178 changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoufats
dennispap, do you know anything about Direct? I live in the New Orleans area an what I was wondering is if I switched to Direct would I be able to get everything including HD locals on one dish, or would I also need two dishes like I will probably need to have with Dish network, if they ever get us our HD locals, because they will be on 61.5.

You can get all direct programming with a single 5 lnb dish, including HD locals. Provided you have LOS. (line of sight)

I believe the orbital locations are 93, 101, 103, 110, and 119

NOHDjunkie is correct. You can get all of their national hd plus locals in hd with one dish. It is called the slimline. A few of my friends have it. Look in your neighborhood for the bigger oval shaped dish. It will have 2 "arms '' also supporting the dish. You can try to Look to see which way it is aimed and see if you have line of sight.

As much as it sucks (quite hard) that we dont have any new national hd, yet again.

Anyone ever think its all marketing? 2-3 weeks there is a ton of HD uplinked, talking locals for even 12 markets, x 4 channels + new national HD, and press releases say "Dish Launches 60 HD Channels"

It is definitely PR... tho on the same note 1-2 channels wont make a difference (USA/SCIFI anyone?), but unless were on the inside, we haven't a clue as to what goes on!

if you use TSReader (or any other program that can analyze a DVB stream) you can see that the video PIDs allocated to both Sci-Fi and USA are now fluxuating. Prior to now, they were fairly constant (~3.96mbps), indicating that they were most likely Dish slates. However, now Sci-Fi is @ 5.2mbps, with USA at 4.3mbps.

if you use TSReader (or any other program that can analyze a DVB stream) you can see that the video PIDs allocated to both Sci-Fi and USA are now fluxuating. Prior to now, they were fairly constant (~3.96mbps), indicating that they were most likely Dish slates. However, now Sci-Fi is @ 5.2mbps, with USA at 4.3mbps.

Which would be important, if they were available to subscribers.;)

But at least now we can reason that DISH has finished contract negotiations with NBC Universal, and that is left to do is technical work.

But at least now we can reason that DISH has finished contract negotiations with NBC Universal, and that is left to do is technical work.

Scott has said for weeks that contracts were all in place so it wasn't a contract issue.

This was already said in this forum yesterday.

first post, been watching for weeks now and finally after almost two years of waiting for my locals it apparently has happened. It's now just a matter of the CRS being brought into the know as this evening the tech I spoke with said that there is no HD being broadcast from 61.5 only 129. But I guess tomorrow is another wait once it is available I'll be able to wait in line for my wing dish. Uverse has been tempting me but like many markets for E* it is coming soon yet the fiber actually runs down the road about 300 ft from my home yet I cannot get the service. I guess I'll know what to do "SOON"

Scott has said for weeks that contracts were all in place so it wasn't a contract issue.

That's odd, since he just said yesterday that he had just heard from NBC Universal that the contract was now done.

And I remember him saying several weeks ago that Cable people had told him that NBC Universal was having contract problems with many providers due to their bundling requirements.

If the contracts were signed weeks ago, then the two channels would be in testing for weeks, instead of just going into testing for the first time a few days ago.

That's surprising, since he just said yesterday that he had just heard from NBC Universal that the contract was now done.

And I remember him saying several weeks ago that Cable people had told him that NBC Universal was having contract problems with many providers due to their bundling requirements.

If the contracts were signed weeks ago, then the two channels would be in testing for weeks, instead of just going into testing for the first time a few days ago.

No, in post http://www.satelliteguys.us/1307758-post55.html he said "No according to my contacts at NBC Universal the deal is done. I am going to try contacting them today as well and see if I can get some more information to pass along."

And from a 2/13 post at http://www.satelliteguys.us/1231078-post17.html he says "On the USA HD / SCI FI situation everything was a go to launch it the Friday after they uplinked it. I cant tell you how I know this as I would give away my contact, but even he was surprised when it didn't go up as planned. (Unfortunately Hes not telling me what the holdup is or when we will see it, but contacts at NBC Universal say that the deal is done, its just up to Dish to flip the switch. Of course the folks saying this are not "official" NBC Universal spokespeople, but I trust what these folks are telling us."

So according to Scott posts that I see he's said for almost 2 months that contracts were done.

The contracts could be done and signed but that does not mean Dish can put up the channels. Dish could be required to put up other channels as part of their contract deal. It appears that Chiller may be part of that deal since they recently uplinked it. But, it could also require other channels like CNBC-HD or Bravo-HD, or perhaps they have to commit to carrying them within so many days of starting service of SciFi/USA and Dish is waiting for FCC approval for moving E6 over for more space (not to mention AMC-14 issues).

There could be contract issues that Dish is trying to work out, even with it already signed. Perhaps they have approached NBC/Universal asking for a waiver on carrying something like CNBC-HD/Bravo-HD until they get more capacity.

It is obvious that no one that really knows is sharing this information (it is probably confidential anyways). It is possible that no one at Dish knows because they are waiting on news about AMC-14 and 77 approval. Dish must feel more confident uplinking the actual channels now, but only time will tell if they actually can turn them on.

No, in post http://www.satelliteguys.us/1307758-post55.html he said "No according to my contacts at NBC Universal the deal is done. I am going to try contacting them today as well and see if I can get some more information to pass along."

That post was yesterday .

The wording implies that was a recent occurrence. If he already knew for sure, then he would not need to contact the NBC people.

Again, the fact that USA and SciFi were slates until a few days ago, indicates that the contract was signed a few days ago.

It's entirely possible that there was a verbal agreement weeks ago, but then some disagreement occurred over what originally looked to be a small detail.

Or that there was a verbal agreement by the negotiators, but it was vetoed by higher-ups.

UPDATE: The conjectures of mike123abc just above my post, also seem entirely possible... i.e. that the contracts are quote "signed", but they are not yet in force, because Dish is not in a position to comply with all requirements.

The point is that a certain constant 10-20% of posters, act like Dish Network is sadistically refusing to turn on the channels in order to frustrate their customers. In reality, they would like to provide all known channels to their customers today, but the channel providers want various things in return, and Dish are not always in a position to give the providers everything they ask for, and in fact, Dish often refuses to do so, in order to keep down their prices.

Last edited:
HTML:
ADD  6300  WABC{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 7

ADD  6301  WCBS{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 2

ADD  6302  WNBC{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 4

ADD  6303  WNYW{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 5

ADD  6304  WPIX{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 11

Whats with all the SD notes on these channels that are HD?

WPIX-HD coming soon to NYC people maybe?

HTML:
ADD  6300  WABC{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 7

ADD  6301  WCBS{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 2

ADD  6302  WNBC{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 4

ADD  6303  WNYW{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 5

ADD  6304  WPIX{NEW YORK, NY}  MPEG4 SD Tp 15 Spot 16 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 11

Whats with all the SD notes on these channels that are HD?

WPIX-HD coming soon to NYC people maybe?

Dish wants to set up separate service from the east satellite(s). So, they have to duplicate all the channels, not just the HD ones.

That post was yesterday
The point is that a certain constant 10-20% of posters, act like Dish Network is sadistically refusing to turn on the channels in order to frustrate their customers. In reality, they would like to provide all known channels to their customers today, but the channel providers want various things in return, and Dish are not always in a position to give the providers everything they ask for, and in fact, Dish often refuses to do so, in order to keep down their prices.
I pretty much agree with all you've said in this post, but I'd change the very last three words of your post to: "up their profits", instead of "down their prices". Their prices are on par with D*. All this alleged hard ball tactics to keep prices down is crap. Else, I guess E* is so mismanaged that prices would actually have to be even higher if Charlie wasnt doing all he could do to get the best deal. He didnt get to be a billionaire by mismanaging things, so thus, I think he plays hardball to keep up their profits. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)