DishNOW - problems with service activation

amberace

Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
New York
Hi, I just bought the prepaid DishNOW package for installation in a rural, 2nd home site. I got the DP301 receiver and Dish500 package from Radio Shack with a $40 pin card. I was able to set up the satellite and get a good signal.

But I can't actually get the service activated properly. I called in the Pin number and got a Dish talking head but every channel I'm supposed to get gives me an Alert-014 that the channel isn't paid for. I've spoken to 5 different technical support/customer service staff and have been told 5 different things (including take the problem up with Radio Shack).

I also noticed that when I accessed the guide to get channel info, I was getting GMT time and not my local time.

One CSR did ask me to check the software (DASNP) and it's an older version that needs updating. I thought the software update had taken place since I saw a message to that effect but apparently not. (For a brief moment, I lost the signal and that have been aborted the software update.) One person told me to turn off the receiver for 20 minutes and then turn it back on. One person told me to wait 20 minutes while he sent me a signal and then remove and re-insert the smart card (purple stripe). One person told me to turn off the receiver and wait 20-30 minutes and it would come back on after the software update.
So far, nothing is working. I'm not sure what to do. Could this be a receiver problem? Should I get a professional installer to check the system out? Is there a simple fix to get the software updated? Please advise. Thanks.

The only way to get it updated is to keep the box off in standby mode. Then you can also run a check switch to confirm that you are getting all the channels you are supposed to get . It will also download the guide. IF you haven't already done so run a check switch.

Menu #6, #1,#1

When you did the first-time activation using the required computerized system, did you have any problems? Is the problem that you can't get the programming you paid for using your PIN number through the computerized system or that it sent you to a CSR when you tried to order programming?

Activation failure

When you did the first-time activation using the required computerized system, did you have any problems? Is the problem that you can't get the programming you paid for using your PIN number through the computerized system or that it sent you to a CSR when you tried to order programming?

The first time activation was not successful. I can't get the programming that I paid for using my PIN number. I made repeated calls to CSR to try to get this resolved. Following advice from this forum, I requested a reactivation.

The program guide gets downloaded but the only channels I can access are the DISH advertising channels and the NASA channel. I am blocked from accessing the channels I paid for (message - Attention - 014 - available for purchase). I've run the test for check switch numerous times and pick up both 119 and 110. The switch device is Twin 500. I also put the receiver in standby mode to update the software several times but nothing changes. I was told by a CSR that the problem seems to be with the software update. It's not downloading. I'm trying to determine if this is a receiver problem or a switch problem.

If your first-time activation was not successful, then your receiver does not know its suppose to become a Dish Now receiver. Without the initial first-time activation signal from the satellite, your receiver does not know which software updates to obtain and install. The basic program guide will download on unactivated receivers so that indicates you are receiving a good satellite signal but not much else. Have you tried to first-time activate your reciever again using the computerized system? If that doesn't work, have you tried calling a CSR and telling them to use there system for a first-time activation? Until that's done, you won't receive any ordered programming. Good luck.

Yes, I've had about 9 calls to CSR trying to get my receiver re-activated with no success. I've used both the automated system and live support. They are now saying that this may be a receiver issue since the receiver is not authorizing the activation. Before I get new receiver though I want to find out if this is a smart card issue. Elsewhere in this forum, I've read about problems with the yellow smart card which is the one I have.

DishNow

Well we have seen this from many a user - so there is a problem.

Please see thread from R10fret :

There were changes made to the card programing last week , that is preventing us from recv updates / subscription info.

Maybe there is some Dish reps / techs here , who can help us out.

I am only home on the weekend, so of Friday I added two days of programing to my box, the channels are still in red ( info not recv ) , but rep /tech could see programing active ?

Calls to support - 888.347.4132 - are NO help, after four - 4 calls reps stated card in not recv updates, and will need as to be replaced. Took all my info and stated would sent replacement - ( 3 - 5 days ) ? But a call back to verify, and guess what ? NO record of my call (s) , as not logged as NO account number ? ( prepaid ) .

So what are we to do ? Any info on how to contact some would has read his /her reviewed their hotsheet" ?

It could be. In your original post, when you said your card had a purple stripe, I assumed it was the new card which is purple. But if you have the yellow card, that's the ones getting replaced because of the new encryption Dish is bringing on line. Since you just got this at Radio Shack, maybe you can ask them if they have a new one with the purple card in stock. Couldn't hurt. Good luck.

It could be. In your original post, when you said your card had a purple stripe, I assumed it was the new card which is purple. But if you have the yellow card, that's the ones getting replaced because of the new encryption Dish is bringing on line. Since you just got this at Radio Shack, maybe you can ask them if they have a new one with the purple card in stock. Couldn't hurt. Good luck.

This is what I would do, if you are within the 30 days in which you bught it, and still had the receipt. I would return it, and then get my money back, if this is possible.

Then, I would contact SAUDON, who is a sponsor/advertiser here, and get one from him.

He(or she), has said all they sell is the new one with the new smartcard in it(at least the receivers alone), and that is all they have in stock. I think he has the new full package(Receiver/Dish 500 dish/arm/etc...) in stock as well.

And when you first put it up, and get a good solid, let it do it's updates to software, and anything else. DON'T TOUCH IT, until it is completely done.

You can try that.

OFF TOPIC:

What is everyone's software version that they have, with ones that work?

Mine, of course, went through that bloody ordeal between Christmas, and the end of January, when I could not add any programming at all. Then for some reason it "righted" itself(I think it was their automated system, which is still not working 100% correctly), and I have been able to add programming recently(as of this past weekend I added HBO for 1 day on Saturday to watch the fights, which were two EXCELLENT Bouts, with no problems at all), and have added days here and there with the GDMP with little or no issues.

Anyway, I have people here mention that you have to have DNASP 609 or better, for everything to be alright.

I have a DP301, which is close to two years old, has the older card(Yellow, with blue/purple borders), and has a DNASP of: S02 Dsh809. My software is P396, which is the most current to my knowledge as well.

I have NEVER received any kind of warning telling me to call customer service to replace my smartcard. But then again, I only order off of 110/119 for the AT basics, Movies, or Adult channels.

But that could change of course, come the middle of March, or April.

Also, as a word of caution to anyone out there:

If you are buying a NEW Dish NOW! setup, I would recommend to everyone out there to NEVER purchase the $40 prepaid card found at Radio Shack, or elsewhere, until it can be proven that the system works. This is because with those $40 prepaid cards, you are FORCED to use the full amount on the programming you are ordering. So if it does not work, then you are out $40, with no recourse. Radio Shack will not refund it, but ALWAYS KEEP YOUR RECEIPT for a refund on the equipment.

A better way to see if it works is to buy a Green Dot Money PAK from WalMart, or wherever(they DO sell them in Radio Shack near me as well), load it with $20, which is the minimum allowed(plus around a $4.75 service charge. Charge varies, with WalMart being lowest at $4.64, that I have seen), and then order 1 day of something like Cinema:mad:Showtime/Cinemax/Starz have the lowest per day charge rate of $.43 cents), and then see if it works.

If it works, HOORAY!! Then order what you want at will. If it doesn't, and you have tried all avenues to get it resolved with no luck, return the equipment to Radio Shack(with receipt) for a FULL refund within 30 days.

Then call 1-800-GREENDOT for a refund on your GreenDot MoneyPak. Explain to them why you want the refund, and they will gladly do it. I have done before a few times with no problems at all. They were very helpful. They also refund you your service charge of $4.64 or more as well.

So in the end, if it does not work, you will be out .$43 cents, which is better than $140+, which you would be out with getting the full system, and the $40 prepaid card that does not work.

What is it you want in a satellite television setting? It is the dish network that will determine the satellite receiver you get. The type of program you constantly watch will also determine the type of receiver you get. For instance, if your needs are only basic, then you will definitely get a basic receiver.

Prepaid activation problem solved

:) The Radio Shack DP 301 receiver had the yellow smart card. I purchased another receiver from SAUDON with the purple smart card and my service was activated properly.

This is what we suspected, since feb 1st no new yellow cards have been activated, that is why I told people they need new purple cards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts