Dishonline active on 622

Ok...... Is there a way to add a wireless ethernet adapter to the 622 to connect wifi to my in home network???
I have a wireless router now for PCs. I do not want to run a 50ft ethernet wire to my 622 with duck tape on my floor!!!

Ok...... Is there a way to add a wireless ethernet adapter to the 622 to connect wifi to my in home network???
I have a wireless router now for PCs. I do not want to run a 50ft ethernet wire to my 622 with duck tape on my floor!!!

You should be able to run wireless if you just get a game adapter or something where you can plug in the ethernet to the 622/722 and then have a wireless connection back to your router. Or you could go with a homeplug device and run the network through your powerlines. I use a SlingLink Turbo

Sling Media - SlingLink TURBO Overview

I take it that you are not in Winchester anymore?

The 622/722 does not have wireless built in, but it does have "HomePlug" built in. This allows you to connect to the internet using the AC power cord of the 722/622. You just need to get a Powerline adapter and plug that in near your router. The 722/622 will then talk over the power lines in your house to the router and then out to the internet.

I tried this out already and my 622 was able to get an IP address from my router. It even tried a few DNS look ups.

See here for details

622_HomePlug2.gif

How to use HomePlug on a Dish 622/722

I just ordered one of these:

Newegg.com - BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Ethernet Port Wireless-G MIMO Performance Ethernet Converter Up to 125Mbps Data Rates WPA-PSK(AES, TKIP), 128/64-bit WEP - Retail

I'm thinking about getting a 360, so this was pretty attractive. It has 4 ethernet ports on it, so it should be great for the entertainment center which is a few rooms away from my office where my router and modem are located. It's fairly cheap and who knows what else may wind up next to the tv in the future that needs an internet connection (ie...slingbox, 360, hddvd player, etc...)

I got a Buffalo Wireless Ethernet Converter from Best Buy. It has 4 ports on the back so I was able to use it for my 622, Xbox 360, and HD DVD player all at the same time. It was pretty easy to set up and works great with my existing Netgear wireless router.

Buffalo Technology - AirStation Turbo G High-Power Wireless Ethernet Converter - WLI-TX4-G54HP

You can probably find it cheaper, but I didn't want to wait for shipping.

I got a Buffalo Wireless Ethernet Converter from Best Buy. It has 4 ports on the back so I was able to use it for my 622, Xbox 360, and HD DVD player all at the same time. It was pretty easy to set up and works great with my existing Netgear wireless router.

Buffalo Technology - AirStation Turbo G High-Power Wireless Ethernet Converter - WLI-TX4-G54HP

You can probably find it cheaper, but I didn't want to wait for shipping.

That's the same unit I mentioned in my earlier post. Looks like it's $20 cheaper before shipping at newegg. To be honest, I didn't do any shopping around before I ordered it from newegg. I've always had a good experience with them and have found that they're usually close to, if not cheaper on most items as any other website or retailer.

I take it that you are not in Winchester anymore?

The 622/722 does not have wireless built in, but it does have "HomePlug" built in. This allows you to connect to the internet using the AC power cord of the 722/622. You just need to get a Powerline adapter and plug that in near your router. The 722/622 will then talk over the power lines in your house to the router and then out to the internet.

I tried this out already and my 622 was able to get an IP address from my router. It even tried a few DNS look ups.

See here for details

622_HomePlug2.gif

How to use HomePlug on a Dish 622/722

Hi Cyclone!!

I moved to North Idaho 2 years ago!!
Thanks for info. I did come across your post on the built in homelink. I currently have a NETGEAR - Wall-Plugged Ethernet Bridge Model: XE102 setup to get internet to a kids PC in the basement area since my wifi does not reach. So I am set that way. It looks like all I need to do is plug my 622 DIRECTLY into the wall socket to "link".

However, does the 622 need/allow for a current password usage as per wireless or not needed since it is technically hard wired to the router???

I did find this link to Dish's tech site:
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departm...l/images/pdf/tech/HomeNetworkInstallGuide.pdf

The 622 will require that you set the password on the adapter to "HomePlug", since that is the only one it know to use. Of course the release notes did say something about DishComm modem improvements, so its possible that they may have changed that today and I haven't seen it yet.

It won't need the Wifi password since its coming in through on of the routers ethernet ports. Since they are 'hardwired', they are trusted.

The 622 will require that you set the password on the adapter to "HomePlug", since that is the only one it know to use. Of course the release notes did say something about DishComm modem improvements, so its possible that they may have changed that today and I haven't seen it yet.

It won't need the Wifi password since its coming in through on of the routers ethernet ports. Since they are 'hardwired', they are trusted.

Thanks. I actually have a whole house surge protector wired at the main circuit box so I should not have top worry about the 622 being plugged into wall socket directly.

The HD that is planned for DishONLINE will only be viewable on the 722. The reason for this is the 722 uses a new chipset which supports the new HD codec dish will be using to send HD content over the internet.

What codec are they going to be using?

Now I know not to bother connecting ethernet, I'm not paying for SD.

Why does that not surprise me. Fact is, Dish will never be able to compete with Comcast if they only have PPV VOD, and no free offerings along with the PPV.

That is a great point..Dish needs to offer at least a FEW things FREE as part of a "ON DEMAND" service..that's pretty much ALL that Comcast has going for it right now..

BTW, still "stuck" on L445 here as well..I am usually one of the last to get any FW updates though..

What about cinemanow.com ? They show "DishOnline" at the top of their website. Can you buy a subscription with them using Dish receiver for their service?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)