Dishonline active on 622

Problems with dishonline

Hey folks I was an original signer with dishonline. So I received the email to resign up so I did. Well, when I got to the final menu I received the message that I needed to be at least 13 years old to sign up so I clicked through and got another error message. it sent me back to the main menu so I tried to sign up again. Well, I keep getting this 13 year old message and even if I try to sign up with another email address I get the same message. I guess some cookie is creating this problem but dont know which one it is or if this is the problem.

Any sugggestions would be appreciated.

JC

This sounds like AT&T Homezone... Are they also going to give you music and photos access to the STB's? With homezone you get access to VOD and have remote access to the box (via the internet or a cell phone) to edit/create recordings, but also have the ability to upload music and photos to the box, as well as stream music and photos from the internet (via LaunchCast or Yahoo Photos). Is there a monthly fee to have access to DishOnline?

Does anyone who has DishONLINE on their 622 have it hooked up to a Slingbox? If you do please PM me, I would like to take a look at DishONLINE. :)

Well my 622 is still on L445 and I tried the PIP trick and also set my update time to 10am but guess Im not on the list.

I noticed a couple things with the network settings.
You have to use DHCP. I called support and they dont offer Static IP assignment. I personally have my DHCP disabled as an added security feature and so that I know if a device on my local net is working or not.
Guess Ill give in for now until they add that feature.

You can set up your router to only give out a IP to known good MAC addresses. So just put in the MAC address of your 622 and you can remain secure.

Has anyone downloaded a movie yet? I am curious as to how long a typical 2 hour movie would take. I looked at one of the "Help" prompts and it said that you have 24 hours to view the movie until it expires. It implied that the clock starts when you first play the movie, not when you download it. One would think that you could save it indefinately on disk until you are ready to view it...

The HD that is planned for DishONLINE will only be viewable on the 722. The reason for this is the 722 uses a new chipset which supports the new HD codec dish will be using to send HD content over the internet.

Um, too bad. I can't imagine watching an SD movie anymore, and with lots of almost new 622s, and Netflix subscriptions (offering standard, Blu-ray & HD-DVD disks), DishONLINE will likely not see many of us paying for SD movie viewing.

I don't know how much memory there is in a 622, but isn't there anything they could delete or compress to put in code to decode HD with the existing hardware?

well, if the chip doesnt support it, then there isnt any firmware that would enable it..Don't forget, there is always the chance this was done intentionally, to give people a reason to spend some $$$ and upgrade to a 722.

Nobody has any screenshots of the Dishonline service? Can't wait to test it out when it's widely available. I'm hoping they will add the free vod like directv.

well, if the chip doesnt support it, then there isnt any firmware that would enable it..Don't forget, there is always the chance this was done intentionally, to give people a reason to spend some $$$ and upgrade to a 722.

No black helicopters. The first chipset in the 622 was supposed to decode the VC1 HD streams, however the version of VC1 it supported is now a real old BUGGY version. The 722 has a new chipset which features the latest VC1 code and is very stable.

That is why the 622 can't do HD movies on DishONLINE.

I seems that the ViP622 is the 721 of the HD age, lifespan wise.

I wonder what the cost to up to a ViP722 from a ViP622 will be after Xmas and after they have HD VOD, etc working. I'd hate to give up my nice stable ViP622, but the features might be worth it. If they let me download an HD movie for $5 or so, and keep it on the DVR until I get around to watching it, I might be persuaded. I'm not much on PPV - I lost 2 I paid for that I never finished watching before my 721 HDD failed.

I seems that the ViP622 is the 721 of the HD age, lifespan wise.

I wonder what the cost to up to a ViP722 from a ViP622 will be after Xmas and after they have HD VOD, etc working. I'd hate to give up my nice stable ViP622, but the features might be worth it. If they let me download an HD movie for $5 or so, and keep it on the DVR until I get around to watching it, I might be persuaded. I'm not much on PPV - I lost 2 I paid for that I never finished watching before my 721 HDD failed.

I just said the same thing about the 721, 5 minutes ago to my friend. Unless the 722 goes down to $99 lease price (plus contract), i'll just wait for the box that succeeds the 722.

Just wondering. Did Direct TV also use this same chip? Seemed like a common chip at the time.

Can they do HD Video on Demand or will both Direct and Dish have to up sell to a newer model like the dish 721? I really try hard to NOT watch SD these days. I love HD.

"The first chipset in the 622 was supposed to decode the VC1 HD streams, however the version of VC1 it supported is now a real old BUGGY version. The 722 has a new chipset which features the latest VC1 code and is very stable."