DishOnline out of beta this week?

fbara

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Oswego, IL
NY Times is reporting that DishOnline will be coming out of beta sometime this week: The New York Times > Log In

The Dish Network this week will begin offering a video portal called DishOnline.com, becoming the latest distributor to provide online benefits to paying subscribers.

The Sofa Wars

Media, cable and technology companies are fighting for consumers’ screen time, and their money, as viewing habits grow more unpredictable.

All the major cable and satellite carriers are jostling to introduce their versions of “TV Everywhere,” a concept pioneered by Time Warner and Comcast. Extending the cable model to a new medium, it holds that paying customers should be able to access TV content in other ways, namely via the Web.
So far, it has been slow going. But the introduction by Dish indicates that some content providers are coming on board. Starting on Tuesday, Dish Network customers will be able to view on its Web site for the first time shows from several cable networks, including Discovery Channel, HGTV and MTV.
“People are shifting where they watch video, and I want to shift with them,” Dave Shull, Dish’s senior vice president for programming, said in an interview. Dish is the second-largest satellite carrier behind DirecTV, with about 14 million customers.
The DishOnline.com site will show some free video clips, but cable shows and many movies will be available only with a subscription. Free clips of the film “Iron Man,” for instance, may be available to any customer, but a full streaming version would be available only to pay-TV subscribers or for a one-time rental fee.
Some of the DishOnline.com features showcase what can happen when a customer’s set-top box is connected to the Internet. Customers with a top-of-the-line device will be able to view live television or any of the shows that they have recorded on their digital video recorder.
Other distributors have raced to create similar offerings for their customers. Comcast, an early entrant, has a site called Fancast, which has some free videos but restricts other content to customers. It lets customers schedule DVR recordings, but not watch them online.
By organizing their hundreds of channels online, the carriers hope they can stymie attempts by outsiders to do the same.
But to date, they have struggled to make it easy enough for Web sites to “authenticate,” industry parlance for logging in and confirming a customer’s subscription.
Gaining the online rights to cable channel content has not been simple, either. There have been disputes about how many devices should be able to log in using the same account, about how many episodes or films should be available at any given time, and about how advertisements will be shown on the Web sites.
“It’s taking time, without a doubt,” Mr. Shull said.

The report from Seeking Alpha said it was supposed to go live Tuesday. I'm speculating it is one of the reasons for the Charlie Chat.

Mine still says "Loading DVR info". If I go to the regular Dish site, I can access my DVR though.

At the regular site, they still have the local channels borked in the guide. I'm seeing "News 4 at Noon" and "News 13 at Noon" ... at 3:30pm ... and there is no channel 4 or 13 here. Telling Dish about it, they respond that they're aware of it. This has been going on since they rolled this service out. I do hope they fix it before final release !

Yeah Hall tell me about it, I have been bitching to them about the locals issue for a long time as well. Sling blames Echostar, Echostar blames Sling and DISH blames both. :(

Wow!!! I just logged in, and that thing is awesome! I didn't see how much PPV movie are, but as long as it's less than $6.99 which they charge via the DVR receiver I might try that as well.

For those with the 722K, is this the content you're seeing via your receiver? Honestly I don't care much about watching this on my computer, but I'd LOVE to see it via the VIP722.

Update: Engadget says they'll be streaming 15 channels live, but all I see are prerecorded programs. Are there any live networks being broadcast over the Internet??

Update 2: Yeah they still charge $6.99 to rent an HD movie, so i'll be sticking with Red Box for that. Renting a movie for any more than a buck or two is a rip now'days. I mean heck, even the $4.99 SD rentals... you can spend two or three times that and buy the movie.

Take care --

Sam

Last edited:
Yeah Hall tell me about it, I have been bitching to them about the locals issue for a long time as well. Sling blames Echostar, Echostar blames Sling and DISH blames both. :(

Heh. Well at least they didn't tell you that local channels aren't supposed to work at all. I gave up after two e-mails of screen shots and repeating myself to the same person. If they don't want to fix it, fine... I'll just use Remote Access to set records on non-local channels. :mad:

Update the slingbox for 922 does work and the stream has improved it is aawsome. I hope then when dish rolls out the app for the Ipad the stream is as good as the steam on dish online is.

I was checking this out, one thing I noticed, I looked at a show for the kids to watch.

It says watch this online now for free.
or I can record it to my DVR for $2.99 for a 24 hour viewing period

How does that makes sense. Why would it be free on the website but cost you 2.99 from the DVR

Did not check the rest of the content. I assume that maybe when you are browsing from home and find something you can watch for free off the box but why would you rent it for 24hrs for 3 bucks.

Am I missing something?

I would like it a whole lot more if it worked with my iPad. But they are using flash. :(

That's how they get around those of us with iPhones logging in and watching our shows for free instead of paying the outrageous $30 fee for the app.

If you have an iPhone 4 you can jailbreak and use an app that enables frash in Safari.

I have a networked 722 and a Sling SOLO but I still can't watch any of my recorded programs on my computer or my phone. I'm not going to update to a 922 just for this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)