Dishplayer 7200 Class action lawsuit

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
gulmer said:
...Dishsatuser,the software has improved on the Dishplayer,very stable,records without any problems,no black screens or resettings,has become a very good receiver...
Yes, my DP 7200 was fairly stable when I sold it - but I couldn't use it to get my new locals as it would not work with the SuperDish... so as long as you don't expect anything 'new' to work with it you are OK.

bruce said:
I think the lawyers should be paid with ppv certificates or equipment credit also.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Ya got that right!!!

Someone in another forum summed this up thusly: I pursued and received my settlement on my former dishplayer(s) via assistance from ebay

I got rid of mine on Ebay and got much more than this silly compensation...

I called and the CSR seemed to think that the PTV service would be 4.98. Does this sound right?

I'll also need the DishPro Adapter at 69.00

Before I shell out the cash, does this sound right? Also I really want to be sure that the service works well for you all and what I should expect before adding the receiver back into my account.

Thanks,

Since I don't have a superdish, this may not be that big of a deal. My locals come off of Dish 500 at this time, just happens to be a DishPro 500 with my 301 installation.

So, if I can't get a good feeling, what is a good range to ask for on ebay if I sell my 7200?

Thanks,

How do we contact the attorney for the lawsuit?

If any of you know the name of the law firm representing the plaintiffs in the class action lawsuit being brought against EchoStar (Dish Network) in CA and IL, could you please post it here? Others who have moved and not been contacted could qualify and they would appreciate this information.

It doesn't sound like we hit the jackpot, but if you had had to put up with the defective product and the official run around, you might get some satisfaction from this. It will certainly hit Dish on its bottom line. Problem is that as a current Dish :no subscriber (I am a very forgiving type), I have a feeling that it is us who will end up paying for these damages.

Much obliged.

I recently auctioned a 7100 & a 7200 on ebay. I got $350 and $280 respectively. Not bad, considering I paid a total of $248 for the two units. A week after i sold them, i got a new smartcard in the mail for my 6000, which said that the original blue cards would not work anymore. Im not sure if this has had a negative effect on the PVR's resale value. I guess it doesnt matter to hackers. It might be a good idea to sell them, because i have heard that the 7*** series recievers will not be supported in the future.

socalgail said:
If any of you know the name of the law firm representing the plaintiffs in the class action lawsuit being brought against EchoStar (Dish Network) in CA and IL, could you please post it here? Others who have moved and not been contacted could qualify and they would appreciate this information.

The counsel is Brian K. Murphy and the law firm is MURRAY MURPHY MOUL + BASIL LLP, 326 S. High Street, Suite 400, Columbus, Oh 43215. Their phone number is (800) 589-9886.

My household received two settlement offers.

The first one was for an old subscription at a different address, which was purchased new in 2000. It offers $50 towards equipment from Dish or a check for $20 (which reuires that I return the smart card).

The second is for my current subscription, which had a dishplayer purchased in 2001. Interestingly, it is my first dishplayer which is currently in service on this account and not the second one. This offer gives me 8 $3.99 ppv coupons or $20 towards sat equipment.

If you're thinking of selling your dishplayer on ebay, better do it quick. A little birdie told me that they are no longer immune to becoming a doorstop from hacking.

Guess the lawsuit pissed charlie off enough to go after the dishplayer?? Or was there something in the settlement that gave them the go ahead from Microsoft?

I still received nothing in the mail offering a settlement for a previously owned DishPlayer. The offer I would probably take would be the $50 towards equipment from Dish and be able to sell it or get use out of it and still get my money back in the future seeing how cheap I got the hardware for.

What if two or three people owned the same DishPlayer? Would all those people be eligible for the same offer or just the original DishPlayer owner that bought it brand new?

If you heard (from who.where??) That the Dishplayer won't be supported anymore. Why would you want to sell them to someone else??
Where's your morals?? Why would you want someone else to suffer from your greed??

RickH said:
I recently auctioned a 7100 & a 7200 on ebay. I got $350 and $280 respectively. Not bad, considering I paid a total of $248 for the two units. A week after i sold them, i got a new smartcard in the mail for my 6000, which said that the original blue cards would not work anymore. Im not sure if this has had a negative effect on the PVR's resale value. I guess it doesnt matter to hackers. It might be a good idea to sell them, because i have heard that the 7*** series recievers will not be supported in the future.

I received the leaflet, but no claim form. I tried calling that number that is in the leaflet but it is just a recording. Has anyone gotten through to the lawyer for the class action group?

There are alot of us who did not recieve the claim form, not sure why either. If anyone gets a handle on why this is, please let us know. Thanks

Echostar continues to have weak technology

First, thanks to Bill R. for posting the info on Brian K. Murphy, Esq, the law firm Prestemon chose to represent him (us) against Echostar. If these guys are so lame that they can't include the "claim form" in their notice, what do you figure their chances are against the EchoStar lawyers? Since EchoStar isn't pouring money into improving their technology, they must be funnelling it to their legal dept.

I went out to the EchoStar website to sign up and see what pathetic pittance these legal eagles had qualified me for -i.e. if I have "PTV Services." Of course, the EchoStar website won't let you put dashes in your phone number, requires cookies, and then ulitmately doens't work. Is everything about this company completely lame?

I am wondering if it is better to withdraw from the lawsuit since I am unable to make any kind of claim anyway, and ditch EchoStar for Time Warner which is now offering a PVR similar to ES for free. Especially if I can sell my current ES receiver on ebay. Inertia keeps me with ES for now. But I wonder if we loyal, lazy subscribers will pay the price in degraded quality when ES has to pay out on the lawsuit. There is probably no free lunch here, is there?

I also sold my dust encrusted 7200 on ebay, but only got $240. Way to go Rick!!! I am not complaining. I assume that these guys know how to hack, ie descramble, the signal from EchoStar. Wish I were that smart.

I wouldnt go to the asumption that the reason we didnt get the forms was because of a problem. It may be that is how they are handling certain subscribers. Im not sure what your beef is with the website, it works fine for me.

I would sell the Dishplayer NOW if you are looking to get out. The high resale value was attributed to the supposed "bulletproof" hybrid Microsoft/E* system that was not vulnerable to ECM blasts from E*. Since they WERE successful in zapping them last week, their value will probably start to fall. There may be some who like the interface and the fact that they can easily upgrade the hard drives. This may keep the price slightly elevated, but they won't be able to handle Superdish or any of the other DishPro switches so they should start eroding in value. I was waiting for another free PVR upgrade (or discount promotion that doesn't require me to hand them my old unit) before I disconnected them.......

socalgail said:
...and ditch EchoStar for Time Warner which is now offering a PVR similar to ES for free...
Look before you leap. See this post in a Tivo forum about how crappy (i.e. fast-forward at 3X max!) the cableco Motorola and Scientific Atlanta DVRs are. A Dish DVR may be a better deal!!

Added: A lot of disccussion about cableco DVRs appears here. (The icky color scheme can be changed if you are a subscriber).

Added: A former E* 501 user tells of his adventures after he decided to 'save a bundle' by switching to cable/DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)