Dishplayer remote

mrmoose

Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
The house I just bought happened to include a 7200 dishplayer, which I finally hooked up today (trying it out to see if I like it better than my 301). It seems to work fine, but unfortunately labels on the buttons on the 7200 remote are ALL worn off, so it's kind of a guessing game on using the unit. (No manual either...)

1. Does anyone know where I can find a picture or diagram of a 7200 remote (already looked on ebay but the photos there are a little too low-rez to read the buttons).

2. Why do the Dishplayer fans like it so much since it appears that Echostar charges you $10 a month to use the good functions?

Thanks!

mrmoose said:
Why do the Dishplayer fans like it so much since it appears that Echostar charges you $10 a month to use the good functions?

Thanks!

Many DishPlayer owners don't pay the $10 a month PTV fee. DISH had two deals that allowed DishPlayer owners to get a special deal on PTV service. The first deal was offered when you bought a DishPlayer during a limited time frame in 2000-2001. You got PTV service for 3 years for free. The other deal was a $99 special where you got "lifetime PTV service". This special was offered in May, 2000 but DISH latter changed the "lifetime" to 3 years. Both "3 year specials" expired this past summer but DISH extended the "free PTV service" (for those that had it) until the end of this year. We really don't know what DISH is going to do at the end of this year but rumors are floating around that DISH is going to start charging everyone that has PTV service the $10 monthly fee.

Many of us feel that the $10 fee is too high and some DishPlayer owners feel that ANY DishPlayer PTV fee is unjustified given the bugs that they have had to put up with for years.

A lot of people are holding on to their DishPlayers (at least until the end of the year) and depending on what DISH does with the fees will determine what we do or, for some of us, if we will even remain DISH customers.

mrmoose said:
2. Why do the Dishplayer fans like it so much since it appears that Echostar charges you $10 a month to use the good functions?

Not everyone is paying $10/mo. as there were some 'special deals' a few years ago that were (I think) $99 for three years. When this 'good deal' ran out in June Dish tried to bill them $99 for another year and many people howled, so they backed off and said "OK, no charge for the rest of 2003".

I felt this blatantly unfair to those of us DP owners that were faithfully paying $9.99 per month all along, so I contacted a manager at Dish, and the response was, in essence, "tough luck, bud".

Why do we keep the Dishplayer? Well, for one the user interface is well designed and easy to use, and second, we put up with a lot of buggy crap in terms of software problems for a long time... those of us that didn't bail out for a newer PVR or out of Dish altogether have been enjoying relatively little problems since the last major software upgrade (which was to get guide data in a different format from a different satellite).

When the 522 comes out I'm getting one of those and giving the Dishplayer the heave-ho... the net savings to me will be $10/month
on my bill.

Right to ceo@echostar.com. It will be waived for the remainder of the year. After that it is anyone's guess.

I agree about the Dishplayer interface. It was IMHO, the best interface that Dish has had.

The 721 interface comes close, has the same color scheme and all, and from what I remember, I think that some of the functionality is like how things were done on the Dishplayer.

So, if you Dishplayer owners decide that you want to go with something else, I think you'd be pretty happy with the 721 (or 921) interface. Of course, that is a lot of money to have to shell out as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)