Dishpro 500 need help...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salespro

Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
i have a Dish Pro 500 with a Twin Legacy (dual lnbs) that supports the 119 and 110 sats and has an internal SW-42 switch, hooking up to a 4700 echostar reciever. i have been told several different ways to connect the dish to my receiver, please let me know whats the correct way.....

1. i need a legacy adapter.

2. i need a sw21 switch.

3. i need a sw34 switch.

or do i just connect to one of the outputs from either lnb direct to the receivers sat input and let the internal switch capture both birds?

salespro said:
i have a Dish Pro 500 with a Twin Legacy (dual lnbs) that supports the 119 and 110 sats and has an internal SW-42 switch, hooking up to a 4700 echostar reciever. i have been told several different ways to connect the dish to my receiver, please let me know whats the correct way.....

1. i need a legacy adapter.

2. i need a sw21 switch.

3. i need a sw34 switch.

or do i just connect to one of the outputs from either lnb direct to the receivers sat input and let the internal switch capture both birds?

The 4000-series receivers have a single satellite input. As such they're looking for a single input from the dish. To provide the input of two LNB's, you'd need to combine them using the SW-21. If, on the other hand, you're truly running a DishPro setup with DishPro LNB's then you'll need a legacy adapter to convert the output to a format that the old 4700 will understand. DishPro antenna's are only supported by newer receviers. Legacy LNB's, on the other hand, are supported directly by both older and most newer receivers.

The reason you are being told several ways to connect your system is that you are using inaccurate/confusing terminology. First off there is no such thing as a DishPro 500. There is a Dish 500 satellite dish which will have a LNB(s) mounted on it that can be either Legacy or DishPro.

That being said many people refer to a Dish 500 with a DishPro LNB as a DishPro 500. When they hear you say you have a DishPro 500 they tell you about legacy adapters DP34 switches (no such thing as a SW34).

When you mentioned your Legacy Twin LNB you used the phrase "dual LNBs". This is causing confusion because several of the possible Dish 500 configurations use 2 separate LNBs. The original Dish500 configuration used either 2 Legacy Single LNBs or 2 Legacy Dual LNBs with 1 or 2 SW21 switches or a SW42, SW44 or SW64 switch.

So. In order to correctly advise you how to hook up a model 4700 receiver tell us what your current system consists of. Be sure to include your LNB type(s) DishPro or Legacy. Second dish? Any switches? What receiver(s) do you have now (if any) and which of those receivers you intend to keep using.

What Kent said.

Try this link to determine if you have 2 separate LNBFs on the dish 500 (that would be a PAIR of Singles or Duals), or if you have ONE wide one with 2 eyes (Twin or Quad). Look for the DP logo to determine if you have DishPro or Legacy.

From your original post, you probably have a Legacy Twin (as you said). It's internal switch is functionally equivalent to a SW-42, but is NOT one.

heres the info...

ok i have ONE wide one with 2 eyes its stamped dish pro digital LNBF on one side and a larger dish pro logo on the back side, one side has 110W and the other has 119W it also has two cable outputs, one on each side of the lnb (only 2 total) the dish itself says dish network 500. i currently have no switches and atempting to hook up 1 receiver (the ecostar 4700) to the 500 dish. hope this helps you determine the correct way i need to hook up my system THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!

Ok. Your LNB is a DishPro Twin. In order to connect a 4700 to this you will need to purchase a DishPro Legacy Adapter $59.99 from our site sponsor.

You will need to have a run of RG-6 coaxial cable (sweep tested to at least 2150 MHz) from the LNB to your receiver location, connect the legacy adapter to this end of the cable then another length of RG-6 (no more than 10") to the 4700.

When you connect the legacy adapter make sure you pay attention to the labels on the cable connectors. One side must go to the LNB and the other to the receiver. Don't mix them up.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info btw if i ever wanted to hook up another receiver what else would i need, switches? ( i understand you can have a max. of two receivers )

For a second single tuner receiver the process is the same as the first (omitting the legacy adapter if the receiver is a DishPro model). If you go beyond 2 receivers (or with a 2 tuner receiver) you will need a switch.

The DP34 will support up to 4 tuners and 3 can be cascaded to support up to 12 tuners. DPP44 are similar but each switch can support 4 single or dual tuner receivers. Also the DPP44 will support legacy receivers without needing the DishPro Legacy Adapter.

What Kent said. :)

To expand, the DPP44 also has the ability to drive a dual-tuner receiver with a single cable when used with a DPP Separator.

You might consider upgrading your receiver. You can get a 311 for $100 http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=30

That's only $40 more than the adapter and you get a new-style receiver.

If you really want to keep the 4700, another alternative is to DOWNgrade your LNBF to a Legacy Twin for $45: http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=85

Note that DishStore is calling it a "Duel" LNBF - I just let them know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)