Dish's 5G plans in jeopardy?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think the question is whether there will be any money at the end of the extension to make it work.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Reactions: ncted
More non-sensical clickbate. How long are people going to be gullible enough to buy into this junk. For years now it's - Dish won't, Dish can't, Charlie isn't, They won't be able to, blah, blah blah and then it/he/they do it. He's taking ownership of Boost (that would be the company part) and has a use-of-tower agreement in place for several years (that would be the network part) ergo it already exists just waiting for a new name launch. What they are talking about (without actually knowing) is the expansion and conversion aspects of that new network and there is no way, absolutely no way the FCC is going to pull the rug out from under it. The Govt made it clear when they approved the merger that the Govt wanted a 4th carrier and you can bet the farm they are going to do everything possible to see that it happens.

More non-sensical clickbate. How long are people going to be gullible enough to buy into this junk. For years now it's - Dish won't, Dish can't, Charlie isn't, They won't be able to, blah, blah blah and then it/he/they do it. He's taking ownership of Boost (that would be the company part) and has a use-of-tower agreement in place for several years (that would be the network part) ergo it already exists just waiting for a new name launch. What they are talking about (without actually knowing) is the expansion and conversion aspects of that new network and there is no way, absolutely no way the FCC is going to pull the rug out from under it. The Govt made it clear when they approved the merger that the Govt wanted a 4th carrier and you can bet the farm they are going to do everything possible to see that it happens.

Did you read the article? The FCC wasn't even mentioned. Are you saying the FCC is going to fund Dish's wireless network when Dish can't raise any money to pay for their buildout? The point of the article was the timing of Dish's network buildout is terrible because capital is drying up fast due to the coming recession. Yes, the FCC will probably give Dish one or more extensions, but they still have to get money from somewhere to pay for what they want to build. Relying on a shrinking DBS service, Sling, and someone else's MVNO to generate enough revenue to pay for the network seems like a bad bet at the moment. Charlie is savvy, but he can only go against market conditions so much to accomplish his goals.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Did you read the article? The FCC wasn't even mentioned. Are you saying the FCC is going to fund Dish's wireless network when Dish can't raise any money to pay for their buildout? The point of the article was the timing of Dish's network buildout is terrible because capital is drying up fast due to the coming recession. Yes, the FCC will probably give Dish one or more extensions, but they still have to get money from somewhere to pay for what they want to build. Relying on a shrinking DBS service, Sling, and someone else's MVNO to generate enough revenue to pay for the network seems like a bad bet at the moment. Charlie is savvy, but he can only go against market conditions so much to accomplish his goals.
Isn’t his spectrum covering more than 70% of the US currently, since it is being temporarily leased to the big three?

Isn’t his spectrum covering more than 70% of the US currently, since it is being temporarily leased to the big three?

While an interesting and impressive point, could you maybe expand on the relevance to the question of whether Charlie is going to be able to get the billions necessary to put up towers, install backhaul, and attract customers?

The one that kept saying, "sources said"?
The one that has the word "source" in it once, yes. Look, I am not necessarily supporting the argument the article is making, at least not completely, but I do think it poses a good question: "Who is going to pay for Dish's ambitions in this climate of high-cost or unavailable capital?"

Well, they have T-Mobile’s networks for 7 years, and quite a few towers already from Sprint and Boost, in addition to the assets of the Boost and Sprint stores... one thing I know better than is to count AGAINST Charlie. Man is a poker player and wants you think he is down, to bluff.
Chip and a chair. He has both.

Reactions: navychop
The one that has the word "source" in it once, yes. Look, I am not necessarily supporting the argument the article is making, at least not completely, but I do think it poses a good question: "Who is going to pay for Dish's ambitions in this climate of high-cost or unavailable capital?"
Because we are in the unique times we are in now, nobody can forecast anything. I sometimes feel I am the last person on the Internet who is NOT an expert epidemiologist or economist. I am surely more optimistic than many people.

One thing I know is that this is an artificial recession. This was not a weak foundation that crumbled. So we should not have a seven year non-recovery like we did the last time. There is pent up demand and people itching to get out and spend and celebrate. So the key is time. If we emerge relatively soon (say before the the Fourth of July) buy stock because the rocket will take off.

And, as I admit I am not an economist (but I do have a minor in the subject), one thing I know is that right now, money is cheap. Charlie may emerge from this with people throwing money at him. Who knows?

Reactions: navychop
Because we are in the unique times we are in now, nobody can forecast anything. I sometimes feel I am the last person on the Internet who is NOT an expert epidemiologist or economist. I am surely more optimistic than many people.

One thing I know is that this is an artificial recession. This was not a weak foundation that crumbled. So we should not have a seven year non-recovery like we did the last time. There is pent up demand and people itching to get out and spend and celebrate. So the key is time. If we emerge relatively soon (say before the the Fourth of July) buy stock because the rocket will take off.

And, as I admit I am not an economist (but I do have a minor in the subject), one thing I know is that right now, money is cheap. Charlie may emerge from this with people throwing money at him. Who knows?
The foundation was surely weak. We were due for a massive correction at some point. The virus was just what tipped the scale that was already starting to list. Even if we open everything back up by July, spending will take a lot longer as people have to start earning paychecks again. Plus with added social distancing don't expect everything to be "the way it was".

No, we weren't.

Remember what Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Samuelson said: "Economists have successfully predicted 9 of the last 5 recessions"

There is a reason economics is called the "dismal science".
The market is all about feelings. The whole thing can be manipulated by one person with a "gut instinct". Meanwhile the people who work for a living struggle every day to get by.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)