Dish's current capacity and sat launches

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
What is Dish's current capacity, meaning how much space do they have left for Conus?

I see Nimiq 5 is going to 72, is there anything else scheduled for CONUS to add capacity for the EA/WA guys?

Thanks. Will replacing 119 and moving the bird to 61.5 offer any capacity bumps, or just reliability?

Both I am sure. Especially at 119 . It will have more spot beam capacity. At 61.5 it will have more reliability since it will be newer. I don't know if they can use the spot beams for 61.5 since it was made for 119.

So there are two launching in the fall?

I thought Nimiq 5 was it.

I believe in the quarterly conference call before last, Dish had stated at least an average of one satellite launch per year for the next 3-4 years. This includes leased satellites not owned by Dish. However, we should expect Dish to go beyond that with announcements of more satellite orders during the next few years. Dish not only has to have sats at all the necessary locations, but critical back-up, as well, which it doesn't have at all Dish owned slots, yet.

Thanks. Will replacing 119 and moving the bird to 61.5 offer any capacity bumps, or just reliability?
There are a couple of TP's at 61.5 that E* can't use right now due to problems with E3. Moving E6 to 61.5 should allow E* to reactivate those TP's and regain that capacity.

Echostar 6 will come from the launch of Nimiq5 at 72.5(I think). Not sure what they are going to do with E7 at 119.

E14 will offer more spotbeams and greater coverage to areas outside the 48 states, such as PR. I doubt they are going to run all the spotbeam transponders on E14 though as that would require removing some national transponders at 119.

If and when E6 moves to 61.5 it could possibly pickup the slack from E3, since E3 can not use some transponders and E12 could add some additional transponders to some spotbeams if needed.

Echostar 6 will come from the launch of Nimiq5 at 72.5(I think). Not sure what they are going to do with E7 at 119.

E14 will offer more spotbeams and greater coverage to areas outside the 48 states, such as PR. I doubt they are going to run all the spotbeam transponders on E14 though as that would require removing some national transponders at 119.

If and when E6 moves to 61.5 it could possibly pickup the slack from E3, since E3 can not use some transponders and E12 could add some additional transponders to some spotbeams if needed.

It has been speculated that the E-6 satellite will move to 61.5 W because its current downlink coverage from 72.7 W slot is very good and should also be very good at 61.5 W. I believe there are 4 TPs at the 61.5 W slot that Dish can not use currently do to failures on the E-3 satellite and the design limitations of the E-12 satellite. I would expect the E-14 satellite to be launched in early 2010 at this point probably on a Zenit-3 rocket by SeaLaunch but the weight reported for the E-14 satellite appears to be a few hundred pounds more than the reported capacity of the Zenit-3. In addition, SeaLaunch just recently filed for bankruptcy protection so that may delay the E-14 launch. I also expect the E-15 CONUS only satellite to slip into early 2011. The other contracted launch that Dish has coming up is the QuetzSat-1 satellite that is going to the 77 W slot. It has been reported that this satellite will be a hybrid CONUS/spotbeam satellite schedule for launch in late 2011. Dish will have use of 24 TPs on QuetzSat-1 with most of these being used for spotbeams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)