DISH’s Hopper 3 DVR Now Supports Netflix in Ultra HD 4K

Does the Hopper 3 pass through 5.1 from Netlfix? And will it pass through HDR content from Netflix?
I'm looking at updating to the Hopper 3 from a HWS, and not a big item since it is just as easy to pick up the Sony remote and hit the convenient Netflix button. But I am curious.
Thanks,

So the Hopper 3 couldn't decode the 5.1 stream and send it via HDMI in Uncompressed PCM?

I guess I still don't understand. My Blu-Ray player has the Netflix app and sends the 5.1 signal to the surround sound receiver via HDMI.

So the Hopper 3 couldn't decode the 5.1 stream and send it via HDMI in Uncompressed PCM?

I guess I still don't understand. My Blu-Ray player has the Netflix app and sends the 5.1 signal to the surround sound receiver via HDMI.
I'm just shooting from the hip but my understanding is that is exactly what it does and that is why we only get stereo, because it has been decoded. If you want the coded signal for your avr to decode you need optical. My GUESS IS the makers of your blue ray have elected to not decode app audio.

Hell, I'm with you.... no one has ever explained this FULLY.

So I paid $50 extra for the Hopper 4K and it still does not have Netflix, yet they are working on an update already to Netflix for the Hopper 3 to do 4K and released it.
This just does not seem right.
Wonder if I can get some kind of credit off of the $50, they said Netflix would work on Feb 18th when you click on it, now it just says soon. I spent the $50 based on that information at the time and the screen shot showing it said it was coming in Feb, now its what, April?
I am sure others out there like me are not happy. A $10 programing credits seem like the right thing to do

Reactions: Rixos
So I paid $50 extra for the Hopper 4K and it still does not have Netflix, yet they are working on an update already to Netflix for the Hopper 3 to do 4K and released it.
This just does not seem right.
Wonder if I can get some kind of credit off of the $50, they said Netflix would work on Feb 18th when you click on it, now it just says soon. I spent the $50 based on that information at the time and the screen shot showing it said it was coming in Feb, now its what, April?
I am sure others out there like me are not happy. A $10 programing credits seem like the right thing to do
Yeah, you and me both. I even updated my Netflix account from $9.99/month to $14.99/month to get 4K because I tested the Joey 4K OnDemand content. It worked fine. Then, I tried it the other day, and they've turned on this HDCP 2.2 crap. So, I have paid to upgrade to the Hopper 3, paid $50 to upgrade to the 4K Joey and pay $5 more per month for Netflix for absolutely no reason. I can guarantee you that, even though the Joey 4K eventually will support 4K from Netflix, it won't work on my non-HDCP 2.2 4K TV. Yet, none of this is explained when upgrading.

This seems to be your mantra in many threads recently. Look, if you are interested in a credit, you should call and ask for one. I'm sure you didn't want the Joey 4K primarily for Netflix, or did you?

Hopper 3 on Netflix will only pass 5.1 if you use an optical cord, HDMI is in 2 channel stereo.
What about HDR? But the thought of adding another cable to the TV and then crawling on my hands and knees to attach it to the back of the receiver is not inviting to this guy. Guess I'll just continue to use the Sony Netflix button.

I received a credit weeks ago. Just call. If you are a customer in good standing they will help you out. I think if you start out the conversation "I demand this and that". You will hang up with a bad experience as well, even with a credit. Just express your concerns. As far as the Non HDCP TV's. Looks like another new 4K TV purchase is in the cards? Is there a 4K tv that is not a smart TV? On that line of thinking wouldn't Netflicks be available on the set as well? Good Luck

I already got credits, I post things like this so others will have that option also.
I try to say it indirectly as if everyone calls in they tend to stop doing credits.
It is very important to be super nice, they dont have to do this.
Information is what Sat Guys is all about.

This seems to be your mantra in many threads recently. Look, if you are interested in a credit, you should call and ask for one. I'm sure you didn't want the Joey 4K primarily for Netflix, or did you?

Last edited:
As far as the Non HDCP TV's. Looks like another new 4K TV purchase is in the cards?

Seriously? I get a $6,000 4KTV in 2014 and the answer (just 2 years later) to copy protection is, just go buy a new TV? Here's the kicker: This TV is 100% compatible with the 4K signal if it weren't for a new HDCP that the studios are forcing broadcasters to implement and pass onto paying consumers.

Is there a 4K tv that is not a smart TV? On that line of thinking wouldn't Netflicks be available on the set as well? Good Luck
Netflix is available on this 4KTV, but they haven't updated the Netflix app to include 4K. Apparently, Netflix 4K is streamed using H.265 and this TV only decodes H.264. So, even if they did update the app, it wouldn't stream 4K Netflix using the native app. That's why I was so looking forward to Dish's implementation of 4K Netflix on the Joey 4K. But that hasn't happened and it likely won't work because it'll be HDCP 2.2 (which my 4K TV doesn't have.)

I think the HD Fury might be my only answer. Time Warner can sue them or me all they want. I won't be pirating anything. Just using what is rightfully mine to use.

Seriously? I get a $6,000 4KTV in 2014 and the answer (just 2 years later) to copy protection is, just go buy a new TV? Here's the kicker: This TV is 100% compatible with the 4K signal if it weren't for a new HDCP that the studios are forcing broadcasters to implement and pass onto paying consumers.

Netflix is available on this 4KTV, but they haven't updated the Netflix app to include 4K. Apparently, Netflix 4K is streamed using H.265 and this TV only decodes H.264. So, even if they did update the app, it wouldn't stream 4K Netflix using the native app. That's why I was so looking forward to Dish's implementation of 4K Netflix on the Joey 4K. But that hasn't happened and it likely won't work because it'll be HDCP 2.2 (which my 4K TV doesn't have.)

I think the HD Fury might be my only answer. Time Warner can sue them or me all they want. I won't be pirating anything. Just using what is rightfully mine to use.
Well, you did buy a 4K tv way too prematurely.
2014??
You have no one but yourself to blame.
Maybe you should have listened to the majority of posters and not the tech geeks that still claim 4K is going to be the Main Stream in 2016.
That's laughable at best.

Yes it sucks, but to buy a 4K tv 2 years ago, was not smart, and to spend $6000 on it no less, well enough said.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I think the risk of buying too early is. All the players have not settled on what the standards are going to be. LG,Sony,Samsung, and so on. I Just bought a 50 inch 4K Samsung S7000. (Bedroom). Cost $749.00. Gets 4K Netflicks from TV app. Not 4K Joey. I won't go so far to say it's your own fault because if I had the money I may have done the same thing. But I also Did not get the first Blueray players. Which were I think 2 to 3k to start. Now as low as 69.00. Saddest part is the guy who spent 6K thinks his set is the best. When a current 1K set is not only better but a lot better. This is the cross we bear as the gotta have it guys. I be one of um! :) Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts