Dish's Media Center App

The picture is probably Photoshopped. Will not believe it until Dish actually annouces something. If it is actually true, what happened to SlingBox? You would think, Dish would be trying to push that technology instead of ditching it altogether.

Scott G,
Why didn't they show this off at CES? Were they afraid of competing with the 922? Unfortunately, I have a feeling this will be another direct TV MCE tuner.

thanks for all the great CES coverage,
-Scott

Because its no way near being ready, so not shown at CES. This is a box which plugs into a 211 receiver... ultimately making the 211 useless for doing anything but being a tuner for the Media Center PC.

I believe the goal is to get things working then create a stand along tune for Windows Media Center. I would said any public "real" announcement of this would be at least a year away if not longer.

lame.. though I wouldn't mind have 3-4 dish tuners hooked up to my MCE along with 3-4 OTA tuners.. that I can watch on the xbox.. media center adapters.. etc.. plus to be able to transfer shows to my pocket pc, psp, ipod, etc.. big thumbs up..

For myself I will wait for the 922. Besides I am hearing the 922 is DLNA comliant so who knows we might be able to watch TV and recorded shows on devices such as your PS3. :)

I dont think this will see the light of day...

The simpler thing to do is for Dish / Sling to write a Media Center plugin for Windows Media Center and you are good to go, with a 922 or any slingbox enabled receiver.

I dont think this will see the light of day...

The simpler thing to do is for Dish / Sling to write a Media Center plugin for Windows Media Center and you are good to go, with a 922 or any slingbox enabled receiver.

I'm going to disagree. It may be simpler but imho isn't better. Sling tech seems to depend on a hard disk for initially storing the recorded material to sling. Kind of defeats the purpose of using a Media Center for recording and then extending to other devices. Might as well forget it and put catchers on the other devices. Otherwise you just end up having to re-record what's on the HD DVR as it's slung to Media Center. IWe might as well hang a Hauppauge HD PVR on the HD DVR and record to the PC. We won't need a tuner then. You'll have to have an HD DVR receiver to be able to sling in the first place. Presumably a tuner would be considerably cheaper than a DVR to both manufacture and sell. Maybe this is why E* wouldn't want to do it. The way they gouge us with fees they would likely make it too expensive to buy or rent the tuner. Also Media Center allows up to 4 tuners of any type without further hacking. That's the equivalent of 2 922s as far as recording capacity is concerned. Also there isn't any limit to how much storage can be online with Media Center. There certainly is with HD DVRs. Just my thoughts.

Hate to be a bad guy here, but from what I have been told is you can not record Dish Network programming on the Windows Media center platform.

IF that is the case then you could see why a Sling plugin would be a better idea.

Hate to be a bad guy here, but from what I have been told is you can not record Dish Network programming on the Windows Media center platform.

IF that is the case then you could see why a Sling plugin would be a better idea.

What have you been told? Is it a DRM issue? Because Current VMC can record Mpeg 2 just fine and Windows 7 will be able to handle Mpeg 4. As it stands right now, with my R5000 enabled 211, I can record and playback Mpeg-4 HD, but can't view it Live TV because media center will not allow you stream Mpeg 4 through the tuner function.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)