DISH's response to the Co fires vs Direct's

dwarren2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
Rochester, NY Region
It was reported earlier that at least 1 person was told by Direct that he had to pay $400 for his burnt up equipment after his house totally burned. Don't know if Direct has changed their policy yet, but here is DISH's response om FB

DISH is responding to serve customers affected by the Colorado wildfires. When ready, customers in the affected areas can call DISH Customer Service (800-333-DISH) to receive the following:

•Pause DISH service and account
•Waived equipment fees for lost or damaged equipment
•Waived installation fees when a customer is ready to resume service

We understand that other needs take priority over addressing their pay-TV service and we are prepared to assist when customers are ready.

Just as I would say if the roles were reversed... it would take more than one account to convince me that is the policy of Direct TV. If it was received in writing and posted and not from a CSR that would be better proof.
All that said it's very good to see Dish has a clear humane policy on this.

If every company fired every CSR that spouted incorrect information two things would happen. One, you'd have to wait for at least two hours to even speak to a CSR. Two, unemployment numbers would double and cripple the nation's economy.... ;)

If every company fired every CSR that spouted incorrect information two things would happen. One, you'd have to wait for at least two hours to even speak to a CSR. Two, unemployment numbers would double and cripple the nation's economy.... ;)
Don't agree, Its your job to know the right information. Some mistakes are ok, but not when you make your company look like a Giant A$$hole.

I live here in Colorado Springs and the news paper that reported the Direct TV error stated Direct did the same thing to customers when we lost over 350 homes last year due to fires on the west side of town

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

We had a customer who's house burned down and DirecTV pursued them for the lost equipment charges. They told the customer that's what they have insurance for.

I would think that's what D* should have insurance for. I'm going to get my ins co to pay for something I don't own? Maybe, but that's an argument I don't want to have.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'll be curious to see if Dish actually follows through on this.I'm guessing they will being in Colorado,but you never can tell.

Dish in the past has tried to charge people that had hurricane damage if I am not mistaken. I would be curious if the satellite company tries to have you get home owner's insurance to cover the damage but waives the cost if they didn't.

I heard Dish also told a customer they needed to pay for damaged equipment after a fire and that's why they posted this to Facebook.

But seriously, that's why we all have fire insurance.

I had a house fire several years ago and did pretty good claiming all the equipment on my home owners insurance. Got the insurance to pay for all new Dish equipment, and my insurance also paid to replace all my VOOM equipment 3 days before they went out of business :)

It was sure nice of VOOM to invoice me $500 per receiver as a dealer. I had 4 of those puppies get burned up in my fire :)

Most homeowner policies include coverage for property owned by others. If you rent a rug shampooer and it was stolen or burned up in a fire your insurance would cover it. There are usually limits on the coverage so don't borrow a Rembrandt from the local museum without checking your insurance policy.

I'll be curious to see if Dish actually follows through on this.I'm guessing they will being in Colorado,but you never can tell.
I do find it interesting that they made this PR announcement during fires in CO. That said, they've set a precedent so if a disaster occurs in another part of the country, they'll be hard-pressed to have a different policy.

Don't agree, Its your job to know the right information. Some mistakes are ok, but not when you make your company look like a Giant A$$hole.
I agree (with you). I am not afraid to tell someone who asks me a question, "I don't know, let me find out for sure". I tell people that I will NOT give them a quick, WRONG answer vs making them wait for an accurate answer and guess what ? Every person prefers that !! I don't work in a call center though, where employees are probably judged/evaluated on how quickly they resolve calls. They're pressured to give an answer, right or wrong, by their employer.

I do find it interesting that they made this PR announcement during fires in CO. That said, they've set a precedent so if a disaster occurs in another part of the country, they'll be hard-pressed to have a different policy.

They have done this natural disasters for a while now. Dish employees have what is called a "de-escalation portal" they is that in this type of situation. It isn't used just because a came is escalated but because it is the right thing to do. Naturalism disasters is a separate section. If equipment is damaged they can set up an RA or a upgrade. Usually an upgrade. After the customer is ready to get back with dish. Along with the pause mentioned in the FB post. This is nothing new. It gets communicated to agents on a regular basis and more often when all hell breaks loose like the wildfires.

It comes to my mind that there have been stories of Dish arriving and setting up satellite service for people in hurricane disasters, so they could have access to the news.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)