DISH's second quarter number posted and they lost 281,000 subs

Looks like DISH is still losing subs. Second quarter numbers posted and they lost 281,000 subs and that is with the Sling tv numbers added in. Looks like all the disputes are taking their toll on the numbers. DISH now has 13.6 million subs.

www.tvpredictions.com/dish072116.htm

If you recall the Steve Martin routine where he sells a single show ticket for one million dollars, this appears to be the DISH model. Charge more money to fewer subscribers.

If you recall the Steve Martin routine where he sells a single show ticket for one million dollars, this appears to be the DISH model. Charge more money to fewer subscribers.

I agree that seems to be where they are headed. But if they would drop their excessive FEE structure that they have imposed on their hopper family and Vip receivers they might see some growth again. I've been preaching this since 2010, when they originally hiked their additional receiver fees to as much as $17.00 a month for an extra 722k receiver. I know these fees go to their profits and bottom line ,because they are created and charged because they can. But they need to try to undercut this, so they can appeal to more subs to bring them to their company. That and advertise the new FLEX pack to everyone on their website. This pack lets you save money and add to that less fees and you have the recipe for growth again. DISH needs more subs. The profits this quarter over last year at this time, are only slightly larger. Usually the profits are big no matter how many subs they lose. When you think about those numbers that include Sling Tv subs as well, what were the actually DISH sat sub numbers they lost? At this rate they will drop down to just over 13 million and then continue to slide every quarter till they are under that number. GROWTH is what is needed and if Charlie cares to keep DISH from losing even more in the future , he needs to create it like he did in the old days. Provide a low priced programming and low FEE structure to his subs in order to attract new subs or cord cutting and the competition will eat his lunch.

the bad thing for dish is the high cost of all the infrastructure to support the subs. satellites, uplinks, etc etc..

the marginal cost of additional subs is low when compared to the infrstructure costs

just think of how many subs they tossed in the trash, by doubling fees overnight

their treatment of departing subs, requiring them to pay to return leased boxes. thats plain stupid. those subs will likely never do business with dish ever again.....

charlie was managing to gain subs, then turned over management to the college suits......

maaged to increase $$ its now coming back to bite them in the butt.

the other day on the radio news they reported the pay tv model is collapsing. something like 1/4 of all americans are depending soley on ota..... only 1/3rd have cable

the bad thing for dish is the high cost of all the infrastructure to support the subs. satellites, uplinks, etc etc..
Although infrastructure does indeed cost a lot, you have to remember they get to deprecate it over many, many years, and they can expense the bonds they issue to pay for it.

the other day on the radio news they reported the pay tv model is collapsing. something like 1/4 of all americans are depending soley on ota..... only 1/3rd have cable

I read 17% used OTA which was up 2% from 2015. It will be interesting to see what happens to broadcast TV with the repack due to the incentive auctions. I expect to see lots of channel sharing. Then in a few years migration to ATSC 3.0.

I left due to lack of programming, not fees. When I left I had one Tivo w/lifetime and 2 DISH DVRs. Now I have 5 Tivos all with Lifetime and more useless programming. At least I'm not paying any thing for the programming. I think DISH needs to renegotiate programming contracts to add quality to the packages not just add number of junk programmers.

Net video subscriber losses continued to mount at Dish Network, with the second largest satellite TV service provider in the country shedding 281,000 net pay TV customers in the second quarter, more than three times its losses in the previous year.
Dish, which includes subscribers to its Sling TV OTT service in its overall customer numbers, lost about 81,000 net pay TV customers in the same period last year. The company said gross subscriber additions also were down in the current period, to 527,000 from 638,000 in the previous year.
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...195?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Dish is still the least expensive provider of cable/satellite services. I don't think anyone is adding customers at this time, except perhaps DTV which is transitioning customers from Uverse to DirecTV.
Profits are up this quarter, so that is their primary concern.

Why should Dish lower its prices when it is already the least expensive provider? I do wish it would add some needed channels, that is the reason I would switch. Ovation, BBC World News, NewsMax, Military History Channel.
------------------
"Over the past year, gains at Sling TV have softened the blow of losses in the satellite core. This time, combining the two businesses likely obscures how quickly Sling TV is hitting a wall. By our estimates, Dish added just 49,000 new Sling TV subscribers."

The filing went on to say: "As part of our increased emphasis on retaining higher-quality subscribers, we have been more selective in issuing retention credits, which has had a negative impact on our pay-TV churn rate."

Prices go up, quality of programming goes down, it's one of the reasons I recently dropped to a much lower package and got my TV bill back to 1995 levels. The next logical step will be to cut the cord altogether. There really isn't much worth watching anymore.

press release
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH Network Corp. (NASDAQ: DISH) today reported revenue totaling $3.84 billion for the quarter ending June 30, 2016, compared to $3.83 billion for the corresponding period in 2015. Subscriber-related revenue increased to $3.83 billion from $3.80 billion in the year-ago period.

Net income attributable to DISH Network totaled $410 million for the second quarter 2016, compared with $324 million from the year-ago quarter. Diluted earnings per share were $0.88 for the second quarter, compared with $0.70 during the same period in 2015.

DISH includes all of its Sling TV subscribers in the company’s total Pay-TV metrics, including in the Pay-TV subscriber, Pay-TV ARPU and Pay-TV churn rate numbers set forth below. Sling TV subscribers are reported net of disconnects in our gross new Pay-TV subscriber activations.

http://about.dish.com/press-release...reports-second-quarter-2016-financial-results

I left due to lack of programming, not fees. When I left I had one Tivo w/lifetime and 2 DISH DVRs. Now I have 5 Tivos all with Lifetime and more useless programming. At least I'm not paying any thing for the programming. I think DISH needs to renegotiate programming contracts to add quality to the packages not just add number of junk programmers.

What programming specifically? Most everything except for some multiplex, west coast feeds, and obscure programming is available on Dish. Just curious.

Reactions: STDog
What programming specifically? Most everything except for some multiplex, west coast feeds, and obscure programming is available on Dish. Just curious.
It isn't the number of channels available but the programming that is on the channel. How much HISTORY is on the History channel? Or here on OTA FOX offers "Xplorization Earth 2050" "Xplorization Outer Space" "Xplorization Animal Science" & "Xplorization Awesome Planet", I don't think these started off as cable channels. They do offer educational programming and entertainment, something I don't find on Pawn Stars.

Certainly not from me.

E15 is in spare status.

EchoStar XV. During May 2013, we began leasing satellite capacity to EchoStar on EchoStar XV and relocated the satellite for testing at EchoStar’s Brazilian authorization at the 45 degree orbital location. Effective March 1, 2014, this lease converted to a month-to-month lease. Both parties have the right to terminate this lease with 30 days notice. This lease terminated in November 2015 and EchoStar relocated this satellite from the 45 degree orbital location back to the 61.5 degree orbital location where it currently serves as an in-orbit spare.

It isn't the number of channels available but the programming that is on the channel. How much HISTORY is on the History channel? Or here on OTA FOX offers "Xplorization Earth 2050" "Xplorization Outer Space" "Xplorization Animal Science" & "Xplorization Awesome Planet", I don't think these started off as cable channels. They do offer educational programming and entertainment, something I don't find on Pawn Stars.
So you went OTA only with your TiVos?
Anyway, you can't fault Dish, DirecTV, Charter, Comcast or any other cable/DBS provider for what the networks now show. I too miss the old History Channel, Discovery Channel, A&E, TLC, all of those, but what content the program provider puts on the channel is not the fault of Dish.
It's not like there is another "History Channel" out there that is like the "old" History Channel used to be, that Dish could provide and is not.
That being said, I do think that refocusing a channel such as TLC or History to all of this reality programming crap is part of what is driving many customers to go to OTA and streaming only though.

Reactions: DWS44 and old corps
No Just all the rest of His customers that spend at least the $90 ARPU.

The 15 people with the Flex pack aren't keeping the lights on.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
I'm both a customer that has the Flex Pack and spends greater than $90.

The Flex Pack can be and is, a great alternative. I get all the channels in the 'basic' sub that I will watch for less than what I was paying for them and a slew of channels I won't ever watch. And that lets me get HBO/SHO/MAX/Movie Pack and keep the final bill under $100/month and have a package that fits me well.

Others might see it that way too.

You of course, are allowed to spend more if you like... :)

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

Dish is still the least expensive provider of cable/satellite services. I don't think anyone is adding customers at this time, except perhaps DTV which is transitioning customers from Uverse to DirecTV.
Profits are up this quarter, so that is their primary concern.

I try to ignore statements here like the above, but it is so untrue, Dish is not the least expensive, for me, Comcast is, I pay $116 a month which includes all the cable channels, HBO, MAX, Showtime, Starz, 1 X1 box, 1 HD DTA BOX, Extreme 150 Broadband.

When my deal is up in March after 2 years it goes up to $149 a month for the same service.

I also have Charter available to me, their bundle pricing is also less then 2 separate services, AT&T Uverse ( and even more expensive with Uverse Broadband and DirecTV) turns out to be more.

Lastly, Charter/TIME Warner, CenturyLink Prism and soon Comcast allows you to turn your Roku into a Cable Box with no extra box fees, that saves even more money, heck Comcast will give you one of their Voice Remotes at no charge while Dish charges $30 for theirs.

Reactions: Troch77

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts