Dishtv 311 receivers problems???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

johnnytuinals

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Poconos
Funny i had to unplug my Dish 311 i got from radio shack twice to reset it....
Is it better to keep it on 24 hours aday so i will not have to keep resetting the unit?JohnnyT

my power button works,but i had to reset it twice in 2 weeks by pulling out the plug and go into menu and reset the switch....Then it worked ok......Hummmm will shut it off when not useing but if it keeps happening i will have to leave it on all the time...thanks for your time...JohnnyT

johnnytuinals said:
my power button works,but i had to reset it twice in 2 weeks by pulling out the plug and go into menu and reset the switch....Then it worked ok......Hummmm will shut it off when not useing but if it keeps happening i will have to leave it on all the time...thanks for your time...JohnnyT
In this case, you have to look at the grounding system section, where the installer ground the system, and how, where the ground wire going ?

I did few services the last week with this matter. One just installed less then a week.
System never ground, although there grounding connection are close by, this installation just by-pass it.
Installer grounded the system through a cold water fauset, it could be the copper pipe just in this house but not all the way go to the outside main pipe.
Corrosion ground wire at ground block.

When all these happened, your system may encountered, freeze picture, loss channel, picture slow flashing, all this because the static electric build up on dish and no where to go, this all cause from the changed of weather, but, if the grounding is done correctly, it will go a long way without problem.

The first and second cases, I unplug the receiver(s), disconnected the coax on both side, ground block and at the receiver back, wait few second, then reconnect all, do the system test and download again, all back to normal. The third case, simple disconnected the ground block cable, clean the ground wire or replace with a new ground wire, go back to check switch and download, problem solved and this should good for sometime.

Yea if it happens again i will check all those things out...Channels are very slow going from one to the other..Thanks for yea time.JohnnyT

sksatellite said:
In this case, you have to look at the grounding system section, where the installer ground the system, and how, where the ground wire going ?

I did few services the last week with this matter. One just installed less then a week.
System never ground, although there grounding connection are close by, this installation just by-pass it.
Installer grounded the system through a cold water faucet, it could be the copper pipe just in this house but not all the way go to the outside main pipe.
Corrosion ground wire at ground block.

When all these happened, your system may encountered, freeze picture, loss channel, picture slow flashing, all this because the static electric build up on dish and no where to go, this all cause from the changed of weather, but, if the grounding is done correctly, it will go a long way without problem.

The first and second cases, I unplug the receiver(s), disconnected the coax on both side, ground block and at the receiver back, wait few second, then reconnect all, do the system test and download again, all back to normal. The third case, simple disconnected the ground block cable, clean the ground wire or replace with a new ground wire, go back to check switch and download, problem solved and this should good for sometime.

I am a little skeptical about the static thing. Just don't see a static build up causing this problem. I mainly do direcway and I know when the csr tells you to put your finger on the connector to draw the static out it is a bunch of bull.

You say the first and second cases you unplugged the receivers disconnected the coax all around. All you done was reset the receivers which is a common fix in most service calls. The third case you said you cleaned the ground wire then you checked switch, Another fix to common problems.

In the end I do not believe the static myth. Static can always find a place to go. Quick example If you drag your feet along carpet and touch someone else or metal it will shock you right. But if you drag your feet on the same carpet and not touch anything for 10 minutes then try it the static will not be there.

johnny I don't believe you have posted enough info about you situation. Why do you have to reset the receiver? Does if freeze? Does it only do it after you turn it off? Also do you have any other receivers in the house.

Well i havd a DishTv HD receiver that works well on BOTH cables.
And the other receiver in a DishTv 311 i got from radio shack.
I was going to watch a few stations but the only thing that came up was UPDATING the receiver on the screen(but that stayed on for many mins doing nothing)So i went into SETUP menu and i seen i was not getting a signal from the 3 LNBs at all.Switch cables with the DishTv Hd receiver and the HD receiver went on with no problems at all.
So i felt it was the receiver so i unpluged it for 1 min.
Went to the setup menu and reset the switch where it would see the LNBs
and everything worked ok then on....
Just hope i do not have to keep setting the switch everytime i shut the receiver off,was think of leaving it on all the time if it does it again..
I don't really beleave about the static,since i have a 10 foot C/KU band dish and never heard of static in my lines lol.JohnnyT

I would say if it continues to do it check to see if it is under warrenty or your can add the protection plan for 5 dollars a month and get a new one.

When the reciever is off sometimes it will take a software update but should not last more than 5 to 10 min's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)